This discussion is closed.
toxi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok...I'm in the process of choosing 2 more A-Levels for my compsci course. (things are different here, we don't do them in the last 2 years, anw).
I'm doing maths & computing so far, but I thought of taking english literature. Will the uni's like it or not, as it is not a science-oriented subject?? I also thought of doing statistics or bio. I'm not taking physics as I hate them and im not good at it..
So my selections are somewhat limited...
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
TBH, most compsci departments aren't too fond of Computing A Level either.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by toxi)
Ok...I'm in the process of choosing 2 more A-Levels for my compsci course. (things are different here, we don't do them in the last 2 years, anw).
I'm doing maths & computing so far, but I thought of taking english literature. Will the uni's like it or not, as it is not a science-oriented subject?? I also thought of doing statistics or bio. I'm not taking physics as I hate them and im not good at it..
So my selections are somewhat limited...
Most good Uni's say that Maths in a requirement and that a "physical science" or "laboratory based subject" is preferable so my initial reaction would be to say that physics is you best option. Due to the fact that you don't want to do that I would then say that you should consider taking a another science subject, I do electronics and can highly reccomend that but if your school / college don't offer that (many don't) then you could consider biology or chemistry. If you don't fancy either of those (or want to apply to Oxbridge) then further maths may be the way to go. Although this leaves you without a science subject!!!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
TBH, most compsci departments aren't too fond of Computing A Level either.
This is untrue!!! While good uni's don't rate it as a science, all of them are at least neutral to it (not going to reject you for taking it)!!! I assure you that a good grade in computing will be very useful to you!!!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
This is untrue!!! While good uni's don't rate it as a science, all of them are at least neutral to it (not going to reject you for taking it)!!! I assure you that a good grade in computing will be very useful to you!!!
Yep, I agree, I'm very happy with my grade A in the subject.

On a more serious note. Computing is a well regarded subject, its not a mickey mouse course, as the project workload is immense. Considering you have to do two projects and complete four written papers, it is hard to get a high grade.

If anything ICT is regarded as a more *easier* subject.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
On a more serious note. Computing is a well regarded subject, its not a mickey mouse course, as the project workload is immense. Considering you have to do two projects and complete four written papers, it is hard to get a high grade.
Oh yes, the project...I've been meaning to start that.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Yep, I agree, I'm very happy with my grade A in the subject.

If anything ICT is regarded as a more *easier* subject.
Yeah I've been quite surprised how much course work their is in the computing A level, my sister managed to get an A in computing last year which is quite ironic.

My sisters having to do a VB based course work which connects to a database, I think I will have to help her with that.
toxi
ooh...I see..

They want a science subject.
I guess I'm probably going to do bio (or chemistry) & english literature...
I think bio is easier though...Well I still have a month or so to decide, I'll give the subject a little more research
Weirdo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey!

I''ve just applied for mathematics and computer science at Oxford, Warwick, Kings (London), UCL, Imperial, and Bristol... I'm doing maths, chemistry, computing and physics A-levels. From my experience so far, I would say that computing is very highly-regarded, and you will deffinately need maths! As for the other 2 :confused: well, I personally don't enjoy chemistry at all because you have to memorise quite a lot of stuff (e.g. organic equations), and I just can't do that (I prefer more "logical" subjects), and most my friends that do chemistry and biology say that they prefer biology... Universities also like to see that you have a range of A-levels, i.e. not all sciences or all arts... English lit should go well, but what about economics or further maths?

Anyway, it's up to you

Tara
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing Physics, Maths and Chemistry, and took Further Maths only at AS. I think Maths is essential, every uni booklet I've read seems to imply that. I wouldn't be concerned about having all scientific subjects, as I've also read "scientific bias" in a few prospectuses (or should it be prospecti). You can't get more of a bias than completely scientific

I agree with the comments too about Chemistry, there is a lot to remember, it doesn't take as much logic as the other two, and I am finding it more difficult
toxi
hey!

I''ve just applied for mathematics and computer science at Oxford, Warwick, Kings (London), UCL, Imperial, and Bristol... I'm doing maths, chemistry, computing and physics A-levels. From my experience so far, I would say that computing is very highly-regarded, and you will deffinately need maths! As for the other 2 well, I personally don't enjoy chemistry at all because you have to memorise quite a lot of stuff (e.g. organic equations), and I just can't do that (I prefer more "logical" subjects), and most my friends that do chemistry and biology say that they prefer biology... Universities also like to see that you have a range of A-levels, i.e. not all sciences or all arts... English lit should go well, but what about economics or further maths?

Anyway, it's up to you

Tara
That's exactly what I had in mind!
Chemistry isn't my type of subject, so I'll try to avoid it
On the other hand, bio has a massive amount of theory and I'm somewhat scared about it, having to memorise all those things and be able to remember even the slightest detail scares me :P
What exactly is further maths? Do you know of any sites with descriptions?
Economics sounds good...

Maybe I'll just take physics, if I work on it I might get the desirable grade...
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Further Maths can be mind blowing, it's just extra knowledge, modules such as Pure 4-6 and Mechanics 2-3, if you don't do any of those in standard Maths. Some of it can be mind blowing, and defy logic, it takes a massive amount of concentration in my view.

Not trying to put you off, it's a really good feeling when you understand the stuff, but don't go into it thinking that it's just extra work, it's also harder work.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jaron)
Further Maths can be mind blowing, it's just extra knowledge, modules such as Pure 4-6 and Mechanics 2-3, if you don't do any of those in standard Maths. Some of it can be mind blowing, and defy logic, it takes a massive amount of concentration in my view.

Not trying to put you off, it's a really good feeling when you understand the stuff, but don't go into it thinking that it's just extra work, it's also harder work.
Exactly. If you aren't very comfortable with maths (especially Pure) don't bother.
I'd say Further maths and Physics for compsci, I suppose something like Economics, Electronics or Computing wouldn't do much harm.

Alaric.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I applied for Comp Sci this year, and everything said above is very true. Computing A-Level isn't held in too high a regard by the top comp-sci departments. From what I was told they find there is too much variation in the teaching of the subject, and the material on the different exam board syllabuses.

Maths is essential, and you might find it useful to do further maths. Most want you to have studied science related courses, and you'll find that courses that are partially/fully accredited by the BCS/IEE have hardware elements and hardware labs. Because of this I know York will only admit you for Comp Sci if you're doing physics as well as maths.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I'm doing Comp Sci next year at Uni and the A-levels I'm doing are:
Maths, Physics and Economics.
They don't regard Computing A-level very high generally because it's apparently more of a 'vocational' type a-level (this is what i've heard, dont have a go if you think i'm wrong), rather than academic....
Oh btw the subject choice can't be bad, I applied to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Kings and Nottingham and got offers from all (*yay*)....
Darkness
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Well I'm doing Comp Sci next year at Uni and the A-levels I'm doing are:
Maths, Physics and Economics.
They don't regard Computing A-level very high generally because it's apparently more of a 'vocational' type a-level (this is what i've heard, dont have a go if you think i'm wrong), rather than academic....
Oh btw the subject choice can't be bad, I applied to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Kings and Nottingham and got offers from all (*yay*)....
Exactly the same as my A-levels last year, and I'm now in my first year at Imperial.

Maths and a science subject appear to be the recommended combination from most reputable universities.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Darkness)
Exactly the same as my A-levels last year, and I'm now in my first year at Imperial.

Maths and a science subject appear to be the recommended combination from most reputable universities.
ooo Imperial's my first choice so I'll see u there next year, provided I make the grades
Darkness
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
ooo Imperial's my first choice so I'll see u there next year, provided I make the grades
Good choice...

and good luck!
toxi
And if everything works as I planned, I'll be joining you in 2006 :P

Imperial's my first choice too.

I'll finish my AL computing though, I hope it will count for the unis though.

I don't really know about physics...I'm gonna visit a counsellor in British Council and ask, maybe they'll help me, although I think it is a highly desirable subject.

My second choice is York, so if they ask for physics I'll just have to take it...
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For Imperial, u definetly need a science or further maths, to do computing, and for York, u need either physics or electronics to do their course!!

Good luck with whatever u take
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (384)
67.25%
No (187)
32.75%

Watched Threads