The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x091
The process there seems way more complexed and very career oriented compared to America. It also seems as if the reputation of the Uni you go to is more important than the degree you receive there. Are you liking it so far?

The reason I'm considering the UK is that I live in a very expensive city and can't dorm at the current Uni I got accepted into. If I were to go to another state it would cost me around 20-30,000 USDs so I figured why not give Europe a shot.

Welcome to The Student Room lol.

And Britain is far more expensive to live in than the US. You wil be paying international fees which aren't subsidised by the government. Reputation of uni is considered very important here also. No point forking out thousands to go to Oxford Brookes.
Reply 21
x091
Very insightful especially on the monetary side of things. The only major down side to the UK system is you have to know what you want and if you're fresh out of high school (like me) most youths are still finding themselves and really dont know as yet.

If you're stuck in a career that you think you like then go to Uni for it and end up hating it, it seems your stuck with it in the UK system or can you switch majors?

Those are two good points. I, for one, started uni and wanted to build/design computers, so I started out in computer engineering but later ended up changing it because I hated software programming. And here I am, 4 yrs post-bachelor's and I'm changing career paths/majors again. lol.

As for switching in the UK system, I'm not sure. But I do know that their A-levels help them choose a major, so to speak. If I'm not mistaken they take their A-levels on subjects they would most likely study in uni. (someone correct me if needed). But even if you're stuck in a career see what you can do with that degree. Some degrees allow you to branch into other fields. Here in the states you can enter an MBA (master's of business administration) program after you've worked for a few yrs and have a desire to move onto the business career path. Or you could also do Post-Baccalaureate or Post-Graduate Diploma if you meet the entry requirements. Once you have one of those it will allow you to transition to a more advanced (master's) level. Also they can be used to give yourself an idea of if you would like to pursue a career in that path for most of those programs are one year.

Also I have noticed that some UK students take a gap year to work/travel so that they can have an idea of what they want to do.
thesisomer
. The deadline for International students is much earlier than for everybody else.

Don't be ridiculous, the various deadlines are the same irrespective of whether you are either UK or Non-UK.
IIRC, University of Stirling has some courses that start in Jan opposed to September.

Yeah, for some courses, they let you do a February entry.
Reply 24
lovely_me
Welcome to The Student Room lol.

And Britain is far more expensive to live in than the US. You wil be paying international fees which aren't subsidised by the government. Reputation of uni is considered very important here also. No point forking out thousands to go to Oxford Brookes.

Very good points, its very different in America since well the country is fricken large haha, even the degrees don't matter much these days here.
Reply 25
teily
Those are two good points. I, for one, started uni and wanted to build/design computers, so I started out in computer engineering but later ended up changing it because I hated software programming. And here I am, 4 yrs post-bachelor's and I'm changing career paths/majors again. lol.

As for switching in the UK system, I'm not sure. But I do know that their A-levels help them choose a major, so to speak. If I'm not mistaken they take their A-levels on subjects they would most likely study in uni. (someone correct me if needed). But even if you're stuck in a career see what you can do with that degree. Some degrees allow you to branch into other fields. Here in the states you can enter an MBA (master's of business administration) program after you've worked for a few yrs and have a desire to move onto the business career path. Or you could also do Post-Baccalaureate or Post-Graduate Diploma if you meet the entry requirements. Once you have one of those it will allow you to transition to a more advanced (master's) level. Also they can be used to give yourself an idea of if you would like to pursue a career in that path for most of those programs are one year.

Also I have noticed that some UK students take a gap year to work/travel so that they can have an idea of what they want to do.

I asked a friend about the A levels thing and you're right it does help them determine their major.

It seems as if I will end up like you, switching degrees constantly. I was going to do Computer Science but then worked at a tech company and HATED it (especially programming). He also told me that once your studying one major there its very hard to switch since you have to basically redo the entire course for the new major.:frown:
Reply 26
x091
I asked a friend about the A levels thing and you're right it does help them determine their major.

It seems as if I will end up like you, switching degrees constantly. I was going to do Computer Science but then worked at a tech company and HATED it (especially programming). He also told me that once your studying one major there its very hard to switch since you have to basically redo the entire course for the new major.:frown:

Well we know one major you won't pick. (yay. one down, ____ to go.) What else are you interested in?
Reply 27
teily
Well we know one major you won't pick. (yay. one down, ____ to go.) What else are you interested in?

haha yes it was way too anti-social and the people in that field were a bit weird.

At this point I'm very interested in music production and electronic music which is HUGE in europe but I don't want to limit my self. I want to explore and travel (europe offers alot of cheap traveling).
Reply 28
x091
haha yes it was way too anti-social and the people in that field were a bit weird.

At this point I'm very interested in music production and electronic music which is HUGE in europe but I don't want to limit my self. I want to explore and travel (europe offers alot of cheap traveling).

Would you not have traveling opportunities in music production?
Reply 29
teily
Would you not have traveling opportunities in music production?

I would but the music production industry is one of those where you either make it or you're left broke so that is why I was considering it in-conjuction with international business as a way to fund that hobby and make money.
Reply 30
x091
I would but the music production industry is one of those where you either make it or you're left broke so that is why I was considering it in-conjuction with international business as a way to fund that hobby and make money.

Sounds like you already have a plan in motion. Just stick to it, I'm sure things will work out. :yep:
Reply 31
teily
Sounds like you already have a plan in motion. Just stick to it, I'm sure things will work out. :yep:

Thanks for the support :biggrin:

I found a Jan 2011 entry for Business at Aberdeen (seems like its a good uni how ever its in Scottland). I was wondering can I transfer to a Uni in the UK and complete the degree there. Or transfer from a UK uni to another UK uni and complete the degree there?

Reply 32
x091
Thanks for the support :biggrin:

I found a Jan 2011 entry for Business at Aberdeen (seems like its a good uni how ever its in Scottland). I was wondering can I transfer to a Uni in the UK and complete the degree there. Or transfer from a UK uni to another UK uni and complete the degree there?

no problem! Here is what I found about transferring from a US uni to Aberdeen.

Not sure about UK-UK. I'll keep looking though.
Reply 33
teily
no problem! Here is what I found about transferring from a US uni to Aberdeen.

Not sure about UK-UK. I'll keep looking though.

Thank you :smile: what i noticed is that a lot of UK unis require some extreme high standards compared to the US which is ironic lol!
Reply 34
x091
Thank you :smile: what i noticed is that a lot of UK unis require some extreme high standards compared to the US which is ironic lol!

no problem. did you get my reply to your pm?
Reply 35
TVU have courses in Feburary, not that I'd go there though.

Latest

Trending

Trending