Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I havent a clue wot to take as A-levels wud English b worth doing? I want to do maths but which other a-levels are best taken with maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacie3uk)
    I havent a clue wot to take as A-levels wud English b worth doing? I want to do maths but which other a-levels are best taken with maths?
    if ur good enough at it, then i wud advise to do maths.

Mathematics, A Science, English and somethin else wud b a nice mix.

ReputationRep:
    anything goes well with Maths...... in fact Maths is one of the most highly regarded A-Levels, and also useful if you do anything remotely mathsy in later life, so is definitely good. English - u have the choice between Eng Lit and Eng Lang. Eng lang is for journalists, but eng lit is good fun, AND really ups your essay skills, although history or economics is just as good.

ReputationRep:
    Other sciences are an obvious compliment, especially Physics. Economics or Computing are also inter-related with Maths.

Consider what you might like to do at degree level. If you haven't a clue, choose a broad range of subjects you enjoy and are good at.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea what you might wanna do at uni (I know it's early, but it can help your choices)? If not, choose subjects that you enjoy at GCSE. Do Maths if you like it and nothing wrong with doing English either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Other sciences are an obvious compliment, especially Physics. Economics or Computing are also inter-related with maths.

Consider what you might like to do at degree level. If you haven't a clue, choose a broad range of subjects you enjoy and are good at.
    i chose Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing, and i will also be doing an AS Level in Further Mathematics enxt year.

if u are not sure of what u r gonna do 4 degree, then its useful to have a strong, but good mixture of subjects.

Maths, Science, English, Somethin else wud b good.

but if u r more into english, history etc then choose options that suit you. maths is 1 subject u definitely shuldnt do 4 sake of it!!

ReputationRep:
    I chose maths, physics chemistry and biology at A level, and think maths is the hardest, maths goes with anything sciency or otherwise and it is very highly regarded whatever you're doin, physics doesn't contain that much maths at A level as it should and so isnt as much of an obious partner as it once was, i think chemistry or anyother academically sound subject would go well with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    i chose Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Computing, and i will also be doing an AS Level in Further Mathematics enxt year.

if u are not sure of what u r gonna do 4 degree, then its useful to have a strong, but good mixture of subjects.

Maths, Science, English, Somethin else wud b good.

but if u r more into english, history etc then choose options that suit you. maths is 1 subject u definitely shuldnt do 4 sake of it!!
    Gonna be an extremely harsh A2 year for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Gonna be an extremely harsh A2 year for you.
    yes but i will probably drop the subjects i dont need to do after the oxford interviews. e.g.) if they give me a 3 subjects offer (likely), then i will ask if i can drop so and so - which they will say yes as long as i do maths and physics (obviously)

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Italian, Computing and Physics at one stage but then I decided I didn't want to be limited to a particular career so I chose Biology, Chemistry, Italian, Maths and Psychology instead.

I'm now doing for my A2s, a fun and easy subject (Psychology), a language (Italian), an essential subject(Mathematics) and a science (Chemistry). I have always been quite good with Maths and I love learning languages so I have applied to do Maths with a language at uni. With the subjects I chose, I could have done Psychology or a variety of medical-related/science courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    I was planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Italian, Computing and Physics at one stage but then I decided I didn't want to be limited to a particular career so I chose Biology, Chemistry, Italian, Maths and Psychology instead.

I'm now doing for my A2s, a fun subject and easy(Psychology), a language (Italian), an essential (Mathematics) and a science (Chemistry). I have always been quite good with Maths and I love learning languages so I have applied to do Maths with a language at uni. With the subjects I chose, I could have done Psychology or a variety of medical-related/science courses.
    #
    yep. nice mixutre u have there m8.

ReputationRep:
    unless u have ur heart set on something particular do what u enjoy you will find it easier in the long run and definately do maths!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.