This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I don't know what they are feeling bad about, they got good grades!!

I don't think people realise that the number who get A*/A's isnt as big as its been made out to be!!
I agree! I think before you come on here you think A/B/C grades are very good but then we you are on here you think they aren't very good after all. But if we are going to compare our results with other people we should do it against the people in our school.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
If Eeyore had straight Cs, then yeah, it would probably not be worth her time applying. However I know what GCSE grades she got and they're pretty good. Better, in fact, than hk_ghetto (no offence to you m'dear, hope you don't mind me using you as an example) who has, if I remember correctly, just got an offer from Trinity Cambridge. No mean feat.

I wish people would stop putting potential applicants down like this. Bono and Tek, neither of you have been through the process. Even people who have couldn't possibly presume to speak for an admissions tutor! Just try to be a bit more supportive, eh?

But yeah, Eeyore, the interviews are what count so prepare as best you can for them by having as thorough a knowledge of your subject as you can
All I did was point out that Eeyore may be at a disadvantage because she didn't meet the GCSE Matriculation requirements of having a "language other than English". At no point did I tell her "not to apply" - I suggest you re-read this thread from the beginning.
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
They are really good Are you home schooled or are you at school?
Thanks, I'm home schooled. Going to school in september though :eek:
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
All I did was point out that Eeyore may be at a disadvantage because she didn't meet the GCSE Matriculation requirements of having a "language other than English". At no point did I tell her "not to apply" - I suggest you re-read this thread from the beginning.
A language at GCSE is a requirement for CAMBRIDGE not Oxford.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Ahhhhh. yes.

Very good point Tek - No C Grade at GCSE in a Modern Foreign Language.

Thats a good point........

Just to show that it is important - A person in my school got rejected from a top uni FOR ENGINEERING - by not having a C Grade at GCSE in French/german (choices at my school).
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Thanks, I'm home schooled. Going to school in september though :eek:
Well good luck . You'll have good memories of school after you've finished as you got out of the awful secondary school stage.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
:confused:
I mean there shouldn't be sibling rivallry just cos I got slightly better grades than you.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
A language at GCSE is a requirement for CAMBRIDGE not Oxford.
Is it? I thought both.

I think it oxford it depends on which degree - e.g.) you may get away with it in a sciencey degree....
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Ahhhhh. yes.

Just to show that it is important - A person in my school got rejected from a top uni FOR ENGINEERING - by not having a C Grade at GCSE in French/german (choices at my school).
In that case I only just scrapped into Cambridge with my C grade in Spanish despite the fact I have got A*s at GCSE and A's at A level dor Greek and Latin.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Ahhhhh. yes.

That's really pathetic. Even if you have a Grade C in a language, it means all you can do is make a short pointless sentence so you aren't going to be able to talk it at Cambridge anyway. Not that you need to.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's really pathetic. Even if you have a Grade C in a language, it means all you can do is make a short pointless sentence so you aren't going to be able to talk it at Cambridge anyway. Not that you need to.
Yes I agree - But I don't make up these pathetic rules.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think that's really the point of the requirement. I suspect it's probably because they like to see a fully-rounded education, and languages require a degree of skill and effort.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly, its a joke of a rule..
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
Is it? I thought both.

I think it oxford it depends on which degree - e.g.) you may get away with it in a sciencey degree....
I have checked, and there is no such requirement at Oxford.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well good luck . You'll have good memories of school after you've finished as you got out of the awful secondary school stage.
Aww thanks, I'm sure I'll die at some point, though! I am totally shy
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
I don't think that's really the point of the requirement. I suspect it's probably because they like to see a fully-rounded education, and languages require a degree of skill and effort.
Yeh and then they go and take 4 science subjects at A-level.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have checked, and there is no such requirement at Oxford.
Then there's nothing to be worried about then!

You have good grades and you seem a good person! Good luck
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I mean there shouldn't be sibling rivallry just cos I got slightly better grades than you.
Ah, right. There isn't. I'm just saying that people automatically assume that you are more intelligent than me because you have A*s and I don't, it's just the way people's minds work. :mad:
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh and then they go and take 4 science subjects at A-level.
Thats my point, its a joke.

You could do engineering - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, yet this joke of a rule would still apply. :confused:
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
Aww thanks, I'm sure I'll die at some point, though! I am totally shy
nah, you won't die. I didn't!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?