This discussion is closed.
hk_ghetto
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
absolutely, go for it! the important thing is to keep a positive attitude. they honestly won't care about gcse grades, extra-curricular stuff, or AS choices. the key thing is to get across your passion for the subject in the ucas statement and interview, show that you could benefit from the unique opportunities/challenges of the place, and indicate that you are an interesting person to teach for up to three years.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by hk_ghetto)
absolutely, go for it! the important thing is to keep a positive attitude. they honestly won't care about gcse grades, extra-curricular stuff, or AS choices. the key thing is to get across your passion for the subject in the ucas statement and interview, show that you could benefit from the unique opportunities/challenges of the place, and indicate that you are an interesting person to teach for up to three years.
Hey, thanks for that! I thought the tread had died but nice to hear from someone positive!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hk_ghetto)
they honestly won't care about gcse grades, extra-curricular stuff, or AS choices.
Yes they will.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
Yes they will.
Why must you always be so negative?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Negative, or realistic?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
tek's right on this one. These are major factors on which they base their juddgements.

MB
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just apply anyway. You have nothing to lose. I mean is it only £15? for a free holiday in Oxford? That's one cheap holiday.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"they honestly won't care about gcse grades, extra-curricular stuff, or AS choices."

thats what they mainly care about, along with AS Grades and how you perofrm in the interview!!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Negative, or realistic?
Bit of both.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
Bit of both.
Well obviously I realise that they will take these things into consideration but at the moment what I need is encouragement, not pessimism. And I am going to apply. I'm determined to.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well obviously I realise that they will take these things into consideration but at the moment what I need is encouragement, not pessimism. And I am going to apply. I'm determined to.
I don't why but everyone including myself likes putting people down on here, and when it is easy... we'll carry on doing it.

Anyway, apply! I'd laugh a lot if you get in over some people on here who are telling you not too.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well of course.

BTW: What GCSE Grades did you get?
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Go for it. hk_ghetto has already been through the process and got an offer and I suspect that were he to have asked this question prior to his application Tek would have said pretty much the same thing to him about his GCSEs. You have to be realistic about it and appreciate that you're not guaranteed a place, but nobody is. Enthusiasm and potential are what really matter here, not especially GCSE results. Go for it, do your best and I wish you luck.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
Well of course.

BTW: What GCSE Grades did you get?
I'm reluctant to say... I'm sick of people ****ging me off
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well if you have A*-B, then tell us...
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Go for it. hk_ghetto has already been through the process and got an offer and I suspect that were he to have asked this question prior to his application Tek would have said pretty much the same thing to him about his GCSEs. You have to be realistic about it and appreciate that you're not guaranteed a place, but nobody is. Enthusiasm and potential are what really matter here, not especially GCSE results. Go for it, do your best and I wish you luck.
Thanks, I will
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
GCSE Grades do matter to an extent - you can't say that dodgy gcse grades won't ahve an effect, because they will.

its up to Eeyore to over come this disadvantage by getting good AS grades and showing she is good in the interviews.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, i am here to help you, i was just curious, because i don't know if you are at a disadvantage.

If you wish not to say publicly, you can PM me, i am glad to give my advice
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As noone from my school had every applied before I went to the local grammar school for some advice. I was shown a sample Personal Statement for Oxbridge and I was really intimidated because they seemed to have done so much - a year out here, playing for the national youth orchestra etc etc. I didn't have anything like that so I wrote mine mainly about what I had read, what periods interested me, specific books I had worked from (theory).

In the end it was checked by a man at the grammar school and I told him I was worried and he said, "oh it was partially padding, they aren't particularly bothered if you've fed starving orphans or found an undiscovered piece of Mozart and then played it to the world" (or something along those lines). I got in and she didn't. I think a passion is really the main thing, a genuine one.

When I had my exam I felt like I had written drivel, but it must have been drivel with potential! Two of my interviews were great but one I nearly nearly cried in, but I said to myself, "no, don't let her put you down" so I was honest and told her that I didn't know but went on to talk about other things. I think a lot relies on luck - one interviewer was big on drama and I spoke about a part that i have subsequently found it he is really interested in. Simialrly, I found out that another interviewer has had work on Blake and Bronte (amongst others) published and I happened to speak about those in the interview! I don't think it was because I happened to speak about those subjects, but because I could convey my feelings for it and they obviously felt the same way.

GCSEs... well I got 4A*, 2 A, 1 B, 2 C. I didn't meet the grade requirements either, so I think a lot rests on your interview and might be willing to waive their strict requirements for exceptional circumstances (exam probs, school probs, or just that you're amazing [first two in my case!])

Hope this waffle helps Eeyore
Agrippina
Rep:
?
(Original post by happysunshine)
Well if you have A*-B, then tell us...
English - A* (with Top 5 mark)
English Lit - A
Geography - A*
History - A*
Maths - A
Psychology - A*
Physics - B
Law - B (three marks off an A)

*prepares self for flac*
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?