Second driving lesson

Watch
Common Dreads
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey,

I had my first driving lesson on Monday, which lasted two hours. Basically for the first 30 minutes or so he went through how the car works, the observation methods etc.

Then I just went on a quiet road and practiced moving off and stopping safely at the side of the road. In the last 20 minutes I practiced going from 1st to 2nd.

He said my clutch control and steering are excellent. Next week I have three lessons in a row for two hours, making 6 hours in total.

What can I expect on these lessons? How many hours will it be until I will be on the main roads and driving home etc? Is what I did normal for the first two hours?

Thanks!
cambo211
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get yourself a better instructor. In the first 10 minutes of my free first lesson i was into 3rd on quiet roads. To only get into second after 1 hour and 40 minutes is a joke.
Idiot-Finder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cambo211)
Get yourself a better instructor. In the first 10 minutes of my free first lesson i was into 3rd on quiet roads. To only get into second after 1 hour and 40 minutes is a joke.
This
Lack of Creativity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could be learning for a while at that rate.
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Common Dreads)
What can I expect on these lessons?
Not a lot, by the sound of it.
soutioirsim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first lesson was two hours as well. First 30mins was explaining the car and stuff. Then an hour and a half of pulling over and moving off on a country lane. I got to third gear!

Then second lesson (another two hours.) Went on main roads for first time, did a bit on junctions and a tiny bit on roundabouts with 30mins on the theory side (POM and MSPSL routine).

Then my latest lesson, more on junctions, went on dual carriage-way for the first time! That was scary... Also did a lil bit on hill starts and did a couple of emergency stops.
satisfactionatlast
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
on my first day of driving, he made me drive on the highway, busy filled with cars! scariest moment of my life; almost caused an accident on the roundabout! :p: And it was my first time ever driving a manual car!
ewen1605
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Welcome to TSR.

Ignore this, what you've done on your first lesson is absolutely normal. What we refer to as clutch control is your ability to control the car when moving away and stopping, and is the very first thing you need to learn - for some, it can be very difficult to master but once you've got it it'll stick with you and everything becomes easier for here on in. Whether you're getting into third gear in 10 minutes or an hour, it doesn't matter. More practice makes you a better driver.

In your next lesson, I'd expect that your instructor will take you to a similar quiet location just to make sure you're competent on the clutch. Once you can start and stop confidently you'll practice moving at higher speeds, and shifting up through the gears.

Then I reckon you'll be on the more major roads. Important thing is to enjoy it, to not panic, and be aware of hazards and other road users.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Ewen
RoxyLite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some driving schools just like to make sure that certain things have been covered before driving, & that they are happy for you to confidently and safely take control of the car. Seems fine for a first lesson to me, you should find that each lesson you are learning new things, but also practising all that you have learnt previously; and becoming more independant very gradually!
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess it varies from instructor to instructor. I drove home on my first lesson even though I hadn't proven myself to be particularly good.
Rusty360
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On my first lesson my instructor took me on the dual carriageway, mainly because he could see i had some amount of natural talent and actually encouraged me to race a car, which i beat :P (within speed limits)
nerdman09
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Common Dreads)
Hey,

I had my first driving lesson on Monday, which lasted two hours. Basically for the first 30 minutes or so he went through how the car works, the observation methods etc.

Then I just went on a quiet road and practiced moving off and stopping safely at the side of the road. In the last 20 minutes I practiced going from 1st to 2nd.

He said my clutch control and steering are excellent. Next week I have three lessons in a row for two hours, making 6 hours in total.

What can I expect on these lessons? How many hours will it be until I will be on the main roads and driving home etc? Is what I did normal for the first two hours?

Thanks!
On my first (1 hour) lesson I got up to 4th gear on a quiet road, goin 40mph, and then the instructor even let me drive home, which was about 2 miles away
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ewen1605)
Welcome to TSR.

Ignore this, what you've done on your first lesson is absolutely normal. What we refer to as clutch control is your ability to control the car when moving away and stopping, and is the very first thing you need to learn - for some, it can be very difficult to master but once you've got it it'll stick with you and everything becomes easier for here on in. Whether you're getting into third gear in 10 minutes or an hour, it doesn't matter. More practice makes you a better driver.

In your next lesson, I'd expect that your instructor will take you to a similar quiet location just to make sure you're competent on the clutch. Once you can start and stop confidently you'll practice moving at higher speeds, and shifting up through the gears.

Then I reckon you'll be on the more major roads. Important thing is to enjoy it, to not panic, and be aware of hazards and other road users.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Ewen
It isn't absolutely normal though. It's a waste of the OP's money when with a good instructor what they did in two hours can be done in 20 minutes.
Idiot-Finder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ewen1605)
More practice makes you a better driver.
Not really. If you can drive you can drive.
kizzz!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first lesson was two hours too and i got to drive home and get to 5th gear!
nerdman09
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your instructor can fit in 3 2 hour sessions in one week, it sounds like they don't have a lot of customers so need a way to make more money, i.e. by teaching you slower and getting as much money as possible from you. Just be careful you're not being conned ¬_¬
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It isn't absolutely normal though. It's a waste of the OP's money when with a good instructor what they did in two hours can be done in 20 minutes.

nah it is absolutely normal, i only got to second too

why the rush?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Idiot-Finder)
Not really. If you can drive you can drive.
sure, but if u cant, like OP, that applies

its the first lesson ffs, u people are all being so hasty
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
nah it is absolutely normal, i only got to second too

why the rush?
Because it costs money. It doesnt take 2 hours to learn the basics of setting off and starting and only getting into 2nd gear.
ewen1605
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think there's any problem with spending an hour learning basic clutch control at low speeds.

Within 5 minutes of my first driving lesson I was doing 60mph on a dual carriageway, but only because I'd done mastering clutch control in my mum's car in a car park - and I must've spend about an hour to 90 minutes doing this to make sure I was competent.

It's not about learning to drive in the shortest space of time possible, it's about learning to drive well. And if the OP is happy with their first lesson, what's the argue with?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.73%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (18)
5.88%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.46%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.46%

Watched Threads