Air Rifle Lethality Watch

This discussion is closed.
davey_davedave
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A lot of people say these are easy to get hold off, but just how lethal is a shot from one of these things?

Not quite planning a sniper rampage but was just curious to how dangerous these things actually are.
King Pieb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A shot to the eye/temple from a medium distance would kill someone.
miike1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not very, unless you shoot someone in the head at close range. Could take someone's eye out pretty easily though. Other than that they can just break the skin.

And air rifles are very easy to get hold of, I could go and get one from a gun shop near my house right now. But I could also get a shot gun very easily as well (licenses are easy to get). They're just guns for sports, it's just unfortunate you get the occasional nut case with one.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Air guns have been used in warfare. They can be lethal. Just how lethal obviously depends on the power.
mart2306
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by davey_davedave)
A lot of people say these are easy to get hold off, but just how lethal is a shot from one of these things?

Not quite planning a sniper rampage but was just curious to how dangerous these things actually are.
Lethal.

What more do you need?

Actually, its not a gun thats lethal, its the projectile and the speed projectile has.
And the user thats dangerous.

But air pistols and air rifles can kill. Just like hammers, pickaxes, knives, screwdrivers, usual kind of stuff.
idiot-hater
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by King Pieb)
A shot to the eye/temple from a medium distance would kill someone.
Rubbish.

And what is a medium distance? Yes you can be blinded by an air rifle, but you wouldn't be killed unless fired at point blank. The worst an air rifle can do at distance is bruise someone.
idiot-hater
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
Air guns have been used in warfare. They can be lethal. Just how lethal obviously depends on the power.
Again another person who thinks they're an expert and just talk ****.

Air rifles have not been used in warfare.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by idiot-hater)
Again another person who thinks they're an expert and just talk ****.

Air rifles have not been used in warfare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

Still a smart-arse?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Notably, it's not really the matter of being an airgun, but rather the power limitations put on airguns in the UK, which affects how lethal they may be.
Megaross
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Target rifles (some of which you must hold a firearms certificate for) are ******* dangerous. I used to target shoot, shot myself in the leg once, embedded like a gooden, hurt like **** digging it out with a screwdriver.
Lethal? You'd have to shoot in the weak spots but a knife is probably more dangerous.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Still a smart-arse?
i lol'd, shame the guy got banned, wanted to hear his response lol
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Still a smart-arse?
I know that gun!

It's ****.

Don't ever ******* use it or you are an idiot. I cannot believe this actually was sanction as a weapon in warfare, christ, the guys on the field must have *******' their pants, hah hah!
Professor-of-Pork
Report 8 years ago

Still a smart-arse?
lol because that's exactly the kind of air rifle the thread was on about
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There was an incident near me where someone got a hole blown all the way through their head from an air rifle at close range. They managed to survive though.

At a longer range they'd be bloody painful, but not lethal.
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eclectic Styles)
I know that gun!

It's ****.

Don't ever ******* use it or you are an idiot. I cannot believe this actually was sanction as a weapon in warfare, christ, the guys on the field must have *******' their pants, hah hah!
Why would using that weapon make someone an idiot, unless you are actually trying to kill someone?

I'm sure those that used it felt better than those with no firearms. It was the 18th century, the alternatives weren't much better.
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yituool)
Why would using that weapon make someone an idiot, unless you are actually trying to kill someone?

I'm sure those that used it felt better than those with no firearms. It was the 18th century, the alternatives weren't much better.
Flintlock, wheellock and so on and on...:curious:
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Flintlock, wheellock and so on and on...:curious:
Those muskets still had very poor accuracy and a lower rate of fire
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yituool)
Those muskets still had very poor accuracy and a lower rate of fire
Straw-man argument.

What would you have prefered to have had in battle? A musket rifle which fired lead balls which would kill a man if it hit him in the head (and would leave a nasty infection to those who didn't die on the first hit) or an airgun that fired...well, what? No real competition, really.
ScrewNormality
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The max hunting range for a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle in the UK is generally accepted to be 50 yards in GOOD conditions, I'm talking no rain and little wind, plus this is referring to animals like rabbits and pigeons which are obviously a lot easier to kill with a projectile than a human. This means that at 50yards it wont do much to a human skull, the pellet would do little more than give you a really bad headache, this is partly to do with the rifle's power and partly to do with the fact that the pellets are lead which deforms VERY easily.

However, they ARE lethal at sub 10yards, but as previously mentioned, pretty much everything is at that range. And yes, for a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle you don't need a license and provided you're over 18 you can buy one easily, however in law air rifles are as much firearms as high powered, large calibre rifles are and therefore if you break the law with one of them you're gonna spend a lot of time behind bars.

And I just feel I ought to address Miike; shotguns are far from easily attainable, to get a license for one you have to get yourself a police approved firearms cabinet (expensive and not that easy to get as you have to install them and all), then you have to go and do work on your house such as extra locks on doors and windows, double glazing, etc. Then you have to apply for the license, which generally will take 3 months + to get, during which the local FEO (firearms enquiry officer) will do a in depth background check on you, then have an 'interview' with you, and finally will access you house and cabinet. And so, overall, it will often take 3-6months for the whole thing to go through. After that, you can go off and buy your shotguns. Easy.. I think not, and what I said is such an amazing understatement of it its almost funny.
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Straw-man argument.

What would you have prefered to have had in battle? A musket rifle which fired lead balls which would kill a man if it hit him in the head (and would leave a nasty infection to those who didn't die on the first hit) or an airgun that fired...well, what? No real competition, really.
No, I'm not disputing that I'd rather've had a proper musket.

You said:

"I cannot believe this actually was sanction as a weapon in warfare, christ, the guys on the field must have *******' their pants."

I was arguing that they would've been "*******' their pants" with any of the firearms from those times, as they were all pretty poor.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (241)
14.83%
The paper was reasonable (907)
55.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (357)
21.97%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.38%

Watched Threads