The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ring the school and they'll sort it out
Reply 21
if you know you did better demand a remark go to the teacher who taught you in the subject you want remarking.
Reply 22
TheMeister
I shalln't grace that ridiculously clueless question with an answer that's relevant.

Negged me because you're too stupid to actually respond? : O
Lrilol
Negged me because you're too stupid to actually respond? : O

I didn't neg you before, but now I just have for your childish allegations and snobbery.
YUNG_OB_09
I recently recieved my GCSE results. I was predicted a mixture of As, Bs, and Cs. But got this:

Eng Lang - B
Eng Lit - B
Maths - B
Additional Science - C
Science - C
French - C
Geography - C
History - B
RE - B

My real dissapointments were RE, History and Geography. For RE, i got an A in this year's exam but a B in my year 10 exam which took it to a B. Overall, i got 158 out of 200 and i needed 160 out of 200 to get an A. I really want at least 1 A in my results and i'm wondering whether do request a remark, as i got 84 out of 100 in this years exam and only needed 86 for that A. Shall i speak to my teachers at school about it ?

Also, for Geogrpahy i was given a B for coursework and i guarantee that at the VERY LEAST i got a high C in the exam, so I don't know how i ended up with a C. For History, i am 95% certain i got an A in the exam the coursework must have brought this down, i am really dissapointed as I am an A grade student in humanities and now there is so millions of other students out there wit As and A*s.

I will still be able to do the subjects i want at A level, but i really feel by GCSE results will hamper my chances of securing a place in a top university of my choice.

I am quite distraught and have been cursed out by my parent for my results to the point of being a called a waste of time and a disgrace. I don't know what to do, shall i pursue that remark for my RE GCSE, as even if they deuduct 10 marks i will still end up with a B.

at 4form, im taking re, sociology, history, and politics

Yeah, you should pursue a re-mark in all the subjects you were close to the next grade in. At GCSE for geography and maths I was 4 marks away from the next grade and my geography went up 9 marks and my maths went up 4 marks. So there is a good chance yours could go up.
Reply 25
So the thing is, I got an A in Arabic (which I know is good enough) but I was asking my exam coordinator about remarks. He said that the only information about the breakdown was that I got an A on all three components. My question is, is it worth sending for a remark, and would I need an A* on all three components to get an overall grade of A*?

Here is some more information on the remarking:
Cambridge have 4 different types of enquiries and charge as follows:
Clerical check of their adding up of marks - £21.00
Review of the marking -£42.00
Review of the marking and a report on the candidate's performance - £100.00
Review and report and copy of the marked script - £110.00.

Please help and tell me what you think, because the last date to send for a remark is September 30th.
Thanks in advance.
well, without knowing what your mark was and how far off the boundary you were, no-one can tell you whether or not to get a remark or not.
If you are 1-3 mark off, go for it, if not....don't
Reply 27
I guess what I really wanted to know I can sum up in a couple of questions:
1) How many A*s from the three components are needed to get an overall grade of A*? I got three As (and I thought this already meant a final grade of A*)
2) Is there a risk of getting a lower grade?

My coordinator didn't get any information on the specific marks, which makes it hard to decide whether I'm on a border or not. He just said I got A,A,A on all three components... :frown:
Reply 28
taigan
1) How many A*s from the three components are needed to get an overall grade of A*? I got three As (and I thought this already meant a final grade of A*)

You don't need a specific number of components at A* you need to get enough marks over the 3 units to be awarded one. If you got an A for each unit then all you could get is an A. At least one unit would have to be A* to get you over the boundary.

taigan

2) Is there a risk of getting a lower grade?

Yes. Marks can go down as well as up and if you only just got an A overall you could be marked down to a B overall.

taigan

My coordinator didn't get any information on the specific marks, which makes it hard to decide whether I'm on a border or not. He just said I got A,A,A on all three components... :frown:

Unlike most awarding bodies CIE don't give the marks only the unit grade so you don't know if you are just below A* or only just above a B.
My advice: Don't get a remark in hope of a better grade only do it if you think you did much better than the A you were awarded and there's been a definite mistake in the marking.
Reply 29
Thanks so much, I've decided to take your advice and not get a remark. I'm happy with an A and I think trying to get higher would be pushing it a little bit (Arabic isn't my best subject...)
Reply 30
Illusionary
With GCSE results due out in the coming weeks, many of you may have questions and concerns about how how the resit and remark procedures work. This thread is to allow you to ask any questions you might have and help you to find guidance during what may be an understandably stressful time.

Please keep all discussion of remarks and resits in this thread. If anyone has any information that the think should be added into this opening post, please let me know (quote me) and I'll take a look.

Good luck to everyone getting their results shortly! :biggrin:

Maybe just add the standard procedure for getting a remark?

1. Chat to your subject teacher and discuss where you may have gone wrong and whether your grade doesn't correlate to your previous work enough to warrant a remark.

2. Chatting to the school examinations officer to see whether the school will pay for it, and if not, whether your parents are prepared to pay.

3. Knowing that it'll take a few weeks for the remark to come through and you could possible lose marks.

Also, I wouldn't recommend remarks at GCSE - they aren't worth it. I had my English Literature module (grade D) remarked last March and it didn't go up by any marks, yet the resit in July got me an A* and 97/100 UMS points with exactly the same technique.

Just a few thoughts. :yep:
Reply 31
Hi guys, just want to know i'm going to resit my GCSE Math’s and English to strengthen my UCAS application even though i have Key Skills Application of number and communication Level 2 and Adult Literacy and Adult Numeracy,

I’m going to resit my GCSE Math’s and English privately and want to know how many times can I resit them? Is it 3 per year?

Thanks
Reply 32
Going to resit GCSE Maths and English privately how many times can i resit it?
As many times as you're willing to pay :smile:
Reply 34
SilverDoe21
As many times as you're willing to pay :smile:

OOO koooooooool ow much is it?
Reply 35
As many times as u want. However, it wont look go wen u apply 4 a job
Reply 36
Abassk
As many times as u want. However, it wont look go wen u apply 4 a job

Thanks, but im sure u just state the highest grade
Reply 37