The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hellz_Bellz!

:frown:

haha, yeah fond memories of having to do that stuff for DoE.

Where i worked i figured that it was because the manager was on 12k year a year, and for that she had a bunch of rich Winchester kids coming in to work like 4 hours a week, and coming in with their new ipods, phones etc. She also was getting rimmed from up above because they were making massive losses each week, mainly because the stock and supply chain was crap, and she didnt understand business.

So yeah. thats why.
Reply 41
Hellz_Bellz!
Nope, not Peckham. Further south. Thank god I don't live there - there was a MAJOR incident a few months back when a 16 year old girl was shot in a KFC - apparently she was hit by accident and the gunman ( probably a drug dealer ) missed his target.

Peckham is the worst of the worst. You know about 70% of young people there are unemployed and on benefits.

Peckham
Hellz_Bellz!
Nope, not Peckham. Further south. Thank god I don't live there - there was a MAJOR incident a few months back when a 16 year old girl was shot in a KFC - apparently she was hit by accident and the gunman ( probably a drug dealer ) missed his target.

Peckham is the worst of the worst. You know about 70% of young people there are unemployed and on benefits.

That's awful. I actually considered living there but retracted my statement pretty quickly.

Everytime I go there i feel out of place anywhere except a few pubs.. nah way!
conway!
or, they did perfectly well in their lives and wanted to give something back?

No thats the nice manageresses.

And there are some.
Reply 44
Old women tend to be the nicest in a charity shop but middle age women, who are having a crisis are bitches, my mum donates to charity shops and their so ungratefull -_-
You can't take 2 cases of rude individuals to say that charity shop managers are always uptight, menopausal bitches.

You've got to remember a few things when it comes to these kinds of places, and especially in terms of the people who deal with vacancy applications. A lot of people approach such staff wanting to work specific days of the week, when there's not really a business need for it, and they'd just be getting in the way. You might be surprised to know that charities get approached by individuals wanting paid work, which is only usually found towards the higher end of the managerial scale, due to the amount of time and dedication needed and the time taken away from holding down a full-time job. Charity workers in general also have to deal with people stealing from them because they often spend less money on security, so that their funds appear well-spent. The staff themselves are also very likely to be volunteers, and if nobody else wants the job, and they're often out-of-sight, then they're also out-of-mind, and they're keeping a money-sourcing shop open and running.

I do appreciate that you've encountered a couple of rude members of staff, but perhaps you'd be better off lodging a complaint with the charity at a higher level to alert them to such behaviour. In the mean time, try other places, and try not to go in expecting similar experiences. Your help will be appreciated somewhere, I'm sure. In particular, I'd suggest local youth organisations like Scouting, Girlguiding, cadets and so forth, especially given that you're 16 and can probably be a helper in some sections.
Reply 46
Oh god, my 6 months volunteering at Oxfam was HELL. I live in a very middle class, affluent town - and this really came out in the other volunteers attitudes'.
They were all 60+ and treated me like utter ****. They weren't kind old grannies, they would all bitch about the other young volunteers, and each other, out the back - and they would give us all the crap jobs to do.
Despite working on the checkouts at Waitrose for three years, I was not allowed to even TOUCH the till, as clearly they didn't trust me.

Never in my life have i been so intimidated by a group of pensioners. Jeez I was only trying to help :frown:
Reply 47
I have heard from someone higher up in these sort of charities that they like to know if there store managers are being rude to volunteers and customers. Managers have a tough job but they are representing a charity and many people get put off donating forever due to one run in with a rude member of staff.
Reply 48
Me and my friend went into a British Heart Foundation and they said they'd phone us about volunteering. We never got a phone call.

How lame must we have been to get rejected by a charity????
Reply 49
I the shop I worked in, the boss was nice, but there were some really weird workers in there.

I suppose it's to be expected, almost everyone is volunteering for free so they can't be too picky, although the shop I was at they did have to ask one woman to stop coming for a while because she was just causing arguments and not helping.

Maybe it's dealing with the 'variety' of people that makes them annoyed lol. Still doesn't justify rudeness though.
Reply 50
Kiwiguy

o_O A fine example of Peckham's inhabitants...
Reply 51
Hellz_Bellz!
I found this in both cases when I went to apply to volunteer today at two separate shops. I was actually STUNNED at the manageress' rudeness, bitterness and coldness. When I approached her she gave me the most filthy look I think I've ever received.

She also acted very obnoxiously: she asked me when I could work, I said Mondays or Tuesdays were best for me, then she said "This Thursday then." She interrupted me, and snatched the form from me.

I regret giving her my number, but she can phone all she wants, I am not working there with a complete a***hole as a boss.

Anyway, so - shocked out of my mind - I went into a second one ( which I'd never planned to do ) and got the same crap there!!! She even had the cheek to say in a really patronising way "You do know you're not going to paid, right?" WTF

Don't these people REALISE that I was willing to give up MY time FOR FREE to work for them? Well they can go f*** themselves, that's what I say.

Have you ever found this? Any idea WHY these people are so uptight and rude?

I do already work in one and the manager is OK but that's only because I got a reference from someone I know who works there. I bet if I just turned up she'd be just as b*tchy. The only reason I wanted to apply to others is because I wanted to work closer to home, but stuff that.

:frown:

I do volunteer work at a local charity shop and they're nothing like that there! I tend to dress like an old woman so perhaps that's it...
The power goes straight to their head. :yep:
That's weird, the manager I worked with was really lovely in our charity shop.
Reply 54
My dad works for a charity shop and i sometimes come on the van with him and i went into the shop once. She weren't a manager, but this fat ass bitch was so patronising and thought she was something special, obviously because she feel superior for working for a charity shop. Which would have been because they pay her jack ****.
They're OK in the charity shop where I work. They're really flexible, they just ask in advance when I want to work the next week and because I only work 2 hours a week it's really easy to fit it in around the rest of my life.

Try other charity shops. They're not all like that, I promise.
Reply 56
Burn it down!!
Yeh, they do seem to be, although not all. Most of them are really defensive of the position they hold for some reason, and they're very resistant to any kind of change. Having said that, my mum worked at a charity shop part time a few years ago, and she has a good friend who manages full time now. Neither of them are anything like what you've described. They actually had to leave the local charity shop because the manager there was such a b**ch, so keep trying and you'll find a nice one, promise! :biggrin:
Reply 58
Yeah, i went into three shops.

1st one (BHF) didnt even reply (they probs just threw away my CV as soon as I left.

2nd - Kept making sure i knew I wasnt gonna get paid even though i asked to "volunteer" not "work".

3rd- Oxfam- This is the one i worked at in the end, they were just surprised I had more qualifications ( I was in my 2 year of Alevels) than the form gives space for :rolleyes: . But they were nice.

I dont get why they dont think young people would volunteer. They had 2 other young volunteers and lots of people need to do things for DofE and work experience.
Reply 59
Jingers
Me and my friend went into a British Heart Foundation and they said they'd phone us about volunteering. We never got a phone call.

How lame must we have been to get rejected by a charity????

Lol, I got rejected by them too. I give them my CV and never heard from them again. Yet a year later they are still advertising for volunteers.

Latest

Trending

Trending