What is the average amount of GCSEs?

Watch
xCBRx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I sometimes read of people here getting 12A*s and the like but I am just wondering what is the normal amount of GCSEs done in England/Wales.
In Scotland, I'm pretty sure everyone does 8 Standard Grades so how do you manage to fit all those lessons in in one week. And how long are your lessons? At my school we had 30 a week, each 50/55 minutes long.
wer343lit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
10 is probably the average? Or maybe 9.
Hart92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get in there 11.5 for me. not A* though
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The average at our school was 10, that everyone had to take, and then there were a few optional ones which you could decide whether you wanted to take or not.
Hanz_a93
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
9 probably
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine is 11, which I think is pretty standerd.
.Ali.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
7 or 8 for me. I don't do a language because I'm dyslexic, I used the language lessons to help me keep up with my coursework (I was allowed to, as were most people with dyslexia/other circumstances). Most people do about 9 I think.
Umbrella.Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got 9 passes and failed a double award
Tainted
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
guhij
Siddd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .Ali.)
7 or 8 for me. I don't do a language because I'm dyslexic, I used the language lessons to help me keep up with my coursework (I was allowed to, as were most people with dyslexia/other circumstances). Most people do about 9 I think.
Your dyslexic.... that's so sad Instead of not making you take a language, they should create papers for all subjects which are tailored to dyslexic students i.e. they are easier so everyone is on a level playing field.
foolsihboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We had 25 lessons a week, with each being 1 hour long. One was PE and one was Careers, so in total 23 lessons towards GCSEs. We did 11 GCSEs.

Music + Performing arts in 2 lessons
Latin in 2 lessons
Maths in 3 lessons
English Lang + English Lit in 3 lessons
RS in 2 lessons
History in 3 lessons
Science and Additional Science in 5 lessons
French in 3 lessons.

(the leftover 2 lessons are PE and Careers)
.:Doctor:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think I'm doing 13.5 plus OCR nationals... I'm so jealous of people only doing 7 or 8!
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tainted)
Im getting 16..LOL ....basically, the top science set do both double and triple award..=5..I know its silly, just the way it is...they'v stopped it now......the our ICT is OCR Coursework so you can get 1,2,3 or 4. Then eng lang n lit, maths, histry, sociology, french, art, Re..!!!
Did they share modules?

I'm sure there's a clause on the Exam Entry contract that says you can't make multiple claims for the same subject at the same level of study (which would be Level 2 for GCSE).
Rubgish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The standard for my school was:
1 English
1 Math
2 science
4 options

though most people would have at least one of eng lit, statistics or triple science, hence the usual being 9, often with more for thing like double IT award which was only 1 option. I personally did 11 + 2 AS, but thats probably more than usual
blackbeauty93
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did 10, which was the average in my school. :yep:
Rubgish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
Did they share modules?

I'm sure there's a clause on the Exam Entry contract that says you can't make multiple claims for the same subject at the same level of study (which would be Level 2 for GCSE).
It is a weird thing with the new science sylabus, it is actually possible, my school was going to do it but didn't have time to do both sets of coursework.
Tainted
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=jbnj
Scourfield
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people in my school got 10, I did 12 as I pushed it :P But a school just a few miles away from my old school, I had friends there who did 14/15 and 16. God knows how they fitted in a timetable, but nonetheless I know one girl there whom got 15A*'s and the school wasn't surprised at all... I guess it varies a lot from area to area. This is in South Wales by the way.
ace_uchiha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At my school the average is 5 :teehee:
A for Andromeda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The "default" is 8-10, but lots of schools allow pupils to take them early and other arrangements which allow them to take more.

I.e. For maths I did it one year early, then did statistics the year after (same with Eng lit/lang) I'm not sure if you can do this in Scotland?

But generally GCSEs are considered slightly easier then their Scottish counter parts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.86%
Virtual campus tours/open days (74)
21.83%
Live streaming events (32)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.62%
A uni comparison tool (78)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (72)
21.24%