The Student Room Group

Applying to oxford to do fine art...

Hey ppl, I just made my account and this is the main reason...I wanna apply to oxford uni to do fine art. I'm aiming high I know, but it's kinda my nature so when I fall, I'm near the top :wink:. I also know they do it and I'm going to their open day and stuff but already im getting stressed! because the deadline to hand in portfolios is november...it has to be AMAZING! which I am seriously on doing, I will try my absolute hardest to make a great portfolio....to a distinction standard. :s-smilie: plus the UCAS application...ahhh it's too baffling! is there anyone else who does art at BA level or higher who can help please?
how can i make my portfolio stand out, be unique?
what other uni's do you recommend?
btw i live in london too and i'm a college student willing to work hard :smile: lol thanks xD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't help for the whole Oxford thing, I had no idea they did Fine Art... I'm doing my portfolio this year too, do you have any idea what you're gonna put in it?

Other good universities, are Dundee, Glasgow School of Art and Central St. Martin's all are considered top Art colleges... I'm applyng to them.
Reply 2
Rawr101
I can't help for the whole Oxford thing, I had no idea they did Fine Art... I'm doing my portfolio this year too, do you have any idea what you're gonna put in it?

Other good universities, are Dundee, Glasgow School of Art and Central St. Martin's all are considered top Art colleges... I'm applyng to them.

Oh cool thing is i don't wanna go too far, part of the reason i chose oxford is coz i love everything about the place and the idea of living there and being a student..im in love with hehe :smile:
for my portfolio...i have no clue im thinking animals though since i haven't practised that but i dunoo! you know what you wanna put in yours? :smile:
Your portfolio should represent your abilities it has to include life drawing, recent work, sketchbooks etc it helps if you have an art teacher or a teacher who has a degree in your field you're applying for to help put your portfolio together. As obviously they will know what fine art teachers/departments are looking for. It really helped me.
Reply 4
My art teacher just told me to fill loads and loads of sketch pads up during the summer and hand them into him... They're filled with life drawing and still life and stuff. It's pissing me off though, as it's slightly boring. :yep:
Is Oxford your only choice? Have you seen any other universities you like? I really want to study in Scotland 'cause I'll get free tuition :ahee:
Reply 5
Rawr101
My art teacher just told me to fill loads and loads of sketch pads up during the summer and hand them into him... They're filled with life drawing and still life and stuff. It's pissing me off though, as it's slightly boring. :yep:
Is Oxford your only choice? Have you seen any other universities you like? I really want to study in Scotland 'cause I'll get free tuition :ahee:

Only Scottish citizens get free tuition.
Reply 6
Only Scottish citizens get free tuition.

Some universities offer free tuition for people that live outside of the UK but inside the EU...
Reply 7
Rawr101
Some universities offer free tuition for people that live outside of the UK but inside the EU...

All.
Reply 8
Rawr101

LOL! thats soo true but scotland's too far, my other choices are the university of arts ones in london, ravensbourne, hertfordshire and kent.
Yeah drawing stuff like that is sooo boring! i wanna draw anime :biggrin: or my own stories, and nice sunsets hehe xD. i've holiday homework :frown: so i'm gonna use that to apply and some more stuff...never know until you try right?! hehe
AliiStarr
LOL! thats soo true but scotland's too far, my other choices are the university of arts ones in london, ravensbourne, hertfordshire and kent.
Yeah drawing stuff like that is sooo boring! i wanna draw anime :biggrin: or my own stories, and nice sunsets hehe xD. i've holiday homework :frown: so i'm gonna use that to apply and some more stuff...never know until you try right?! hehe

You should look and go to an university of oxford fine art exhibition. You'll see what kind of art the art department produces and what will be expected of your portfolio. I don't know if they'll accept anime. If you want to do anime you should apply for an illustration degree as it'll be better suited.
Reply 10
Spinnerette
You should look and go to an university of oxford fine art exhibition. You'll see what kind of art the art department produces and what will be expected of your portfolio. I don't know if they'll accept anime. If you want to do anime you should apply for an illustration degree as it'll be better suited.

Oh no they won't like anime at all! that's just a hobby lol but i actually do want to do illustration and that's a great idea to see their exhibitions!! but i dunno whether the dates have passed or not..:s-smilie:
Reply 11
How about NUCA in Norwich? It has a pretty good rep, and Norwich is an amazing city :smile: (not biased much since I go to UEA and boyfriend goes to NUCA)

The going to exhibitions seems a good idea.

They will want to see mature development of ideas- that you're really thinking about your work and doing things other than the norm, trying out new ideas and really thinking about it.

Sorry can't offer much more help, not an artist myself, just date one lol.
AliiStarr
Oh no they won't like anime at all! that's just a hobby lol but i actually do want to do illustration and that's a great idea to see their exhibitions!! but i dunno whether the dates have passed or not..:s-smilie:

If you want to do illustration there are many great universities for it, many will take on people interested in going the anime route. Exhibitions in the summer usually go between August - September but student exhibitions are usually around end of May/June to early July. So you have probably missed it.

Plus by the looks of it they want you to take an art foundation course. <--- plus that's an advantage today.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/fine_art/fine_art.html

Edit:
Also this is what they say about Portfolios:
Portfolios may contain original works, photographs, slides or digital images of paintings and sculptures, personal notebooks, short videotapes or CDs, drawings, soundworks etc. We value signs of the ability to engage in critical and inventive discussion, but above all we are looking for a strong visual curiosity.
Reply 13
Spinnerette
If you want to do illustration there are many great universities for it, many will take on people interested in going the anime route. Exhibitions in the summer usually go between August - September but student exhibitions are usually around end of May/June to early July. So you have probably missed it.

Plus by the looks of it they want you to take an art foundation course. <--- plus that's an advantage today.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/fine_art/fine_art.html

Edit:
Also this is what they say about Portfolios:
Portfolios may contain original works, photographs, slides or digital images of paintings and sculptures, personal notebooks, short videotapes or CDs, drawings, soundworks etc. We value signs of the ability to engage in critical and inventive discussion, but above all we are looking for a strong visual curiosity.

Aww thanks you're bein so helpful! lol well i think their exhibition's over but i am goin to their open day next month and i got their prospectus and the entry requirements...so when i'm there i'll talk to teachers and students and ask them what they did in their portfolios! :biggrin:

Plus i'm alread studying art and design at level 3 which i think is equal to 3 a levels, so i'm gonna work hard this year! lool ive already spent 3 years at college too...:s-smilie: wouldn't mind taking 1 more to an art foundation but ahh i'll be 23 when i graduate uni!
Reply 14
kpwxx
How about NUCA in Norwich? It has a pretty good rep, and Norwich is an amazing city :smile: (not biased much since I go to UEA and boyfriend goes to NUCA)

The going to exhibitions seems a good idea.

They will want to see mature development of ideas- that you're really thinking about your work and doing things other than the norm, trying out new ideas and really thinking about it.

Sorry can't offer much more help, not an artist myself, just date one lol.

yeah! that's what i wanna do lol stand out and be rememberable hehe xD but it's hard going about that...i just gotta me i guess and express myself =) thanks !
Reply 15
Rawr101

What size paper are you sketching on??
Hey, I did the art foundation last year and someone I know got in to fine art at oxford. He had to take a portfolio but as well as this they had stages of interviews like drawing still life in a set time and other things like sculpture. This guy was a bit of a nut though and did the whole 'art' thing by throwing work out the window and stuff like that but it seemed to work for him!
Reply 17
I'd advise you to look at some of the art schools in Scotland. It's a high standard of work, and you'd be surprised at how hard it is to put together a really successful folio.
AliiStarr
Aww thanks you're bein so helpful! lol well i think their exhibition's over but i am goin to their open day next month and i got their prospectus and the entry requirements...so when i'm there i'll talk to teachers and students and ask them what they did in their portfolios! :biggrin:

Plus i'm alread studying art and design at level 3 which i think is equal to 3 a levels, so i'm gonna work hard this year! lool ive already spent 3 years at college too...:s-smilie: wouldn't mind taking 1 more to an art foundation but ahh i'll be 23 when i graduate uni!

I'll be 24/25 so don't let age hold you back. A foundation helps see if they accept your BTEC qualification first. Some of the top universities only accept the traditional A Levels + Art foundation.

Plus I did First Diploma in Art, National Diploma in Art and Foundation Diploma. With Art it's less about the prestige of the university and more about whether their work ethics suit your style of working, whether you like the place etc. Like in London Unis + Manchester Met uni you won't get much contact time as the number of students is vast. Smaller universities tend to have more contact time and smaller number of students in the class.

I only know from my local art gallery about Manchester Met uni because the owners daughter does Fine Art there and she only gets a few hours of contact time a week.
Reply 19
Spinnerette
I'll be 24/25 so don't let age hold you back. A foundation helps see if they accept your BTEC qualification first. Some of the top universities only accept the traditional A Levels + Art foundation.

Plus I did First Diploma in Art, National Diploma in Art and Foundation Diploma. With Art it's less about the prestige of the university and more about whether their work ethics suit your style of working, whether you like the place etc. Like in London Unis + Manchester Met uni you won't get much contact time as the number of students is vast. Smaller universities tend to have more contact time and smaller number of students in the class.

I only know from my local art gallery about Manchester Met uni because the owners daughter does Fine Art there and she only gets a few hours of contact time a week.

Yeah your right age ain't nothin but a number and if i really want to go there, I wouldn't care about age. But I have to submit my portfolio to them by november 13th 2010?!!?!! but i have other uni's in mind like the university of the arts in london, i don't want to go far from london. kent or herfordshire is the furtherest lol
Plus i would like more time with lecturers, at college i enjoy talking to my tutors about my work and i always look for ways to improve...so i think i would need more contact time, but i seriously need to fix a portfolio together! x.x

Quick Reply

Latest