Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the teachers are asking for our a-level choices for next year, but i'm worried that i'm going to make the wrong ones. Everyone seems to say, "do what you enjoy", but I dont know whether what I enjoy will get me anywhere when it comes to applying to the top universities.
    Provisionally, this is what I think i might do:

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

the grades arent an issue really, its more what subjects to do.
    is politics any good?and do I need a science?

help me please
    thanks
    tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr.bored)
    the teachers are asking for our a-level choices for next year, but i'm worried that i'm going to make the wrong ones. Everyone seems to say, "do what you enjoy", but I dont know whether what I enjoy will get me anywhere when it comes to applying to the top universities.

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

help me please
    thanks
    tom
    If your looking for a pure economics degree then you should probally include maths.

Politics is very easy AS level, little application of facts and also no coursework. I enjoy it, and you become quite aware of factors in current affairs and don't make stupid judgements when you realise about the works of government etc.

Only do a science if you are good at them (expected at least a B in GCSE) and if you feel you will enjoy them studying for a year in quite a bit of details. You already have 2 social sciences so, you already have quite a bit of diversity anyway.

English lang...wouldn't recommened it myself, I think lit is a much more useful qualification and is more highly respected. But if you don't enjoy novesl/poetry/plays then... i guess lang is the next best option.

Philosophy, excellent and respected as it is hard, it was said by an exam board it ranks among physics for how hard it is (which is high up). Ethics is tougher than the phil. of religion though.

ReputationRep:

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

help me please
    thanks
    tom

i'd personally think maths was pretty fundamental or maybe physics if ur looking towards a science

ReputationRep:

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

help me please
    thanks
    tom
    Dont do politics. Do human biology instead.

ReputationRep:

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

help me please
    thanks
    tom
    Well you could easily do a PPE/PEP degree! Although other subjects may be better if you wanted to go down that route.

ReputationRep:
    PPE is an excellent course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well you could easily do a PPE/PEP degree! Although other subjects may be better if you wanted to go down that route.
    even so, i wud advise this person to do maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    even so, i wud advise this person to do maths.
    But what if that person isn't very good at maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    But what if that person isn't very good at maths?
    He said grades weren't an issue. He should get at least a C.

ReputationRep:
    yes, im thinking of doing PPE, and im predicted all a's and a*'s, so grades really arent anything to do with it. what should i do instead if i want to do PPE then?
    why would should i do maths? i have thought about it, but it isnt really my strongest point.
    is there any discrimination during uni application between english lit/lang?

ReputationRep:
    yes, im thinking of doing PPE, and im predicted all a's and a*'s, so grades really arent anything to do with it. what should i do instead if i want to do PPE then?
    why would should i do maths? i have thought about it, but it isnt really my strongest point.
    is there any discrimination during uni application between english lit/lang?
    Lit = more respected.

You don't need to have any of the PPE subjects at A level btw, more important to have maths, and some analytical type thing like history and possibly economics.

Then again, i ignored my own advice and I want to do PPE and do all three subjects for my a levels heh

ReputationRep:

Philosophy and ethics
    Economics
    English lang.
    Politics??????

help me please
    thanks
    tom
    yep, this is what i would have done if the teachers were any good although history instead of eng lang

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.