The Student Room Group

My Biomed degree isn't IBMS accredited :S

Realised a few weeks after firming my course that it isn't IBMS accredited.

So I wanted to know ...What does this mean?

Am I doing a crap biomedical science degree?

Will I find it harder to get a job because of this issue?

Cheers
Depends what you plan to do with your degree. If you want to work in a path lab in a hospital you'll need to get accredited which involves an extra year at a different uni. But why would you want to be looking at stool samples all day?! If you want to get into research (after postgrad study) or a pharmaceutical company it doesn't matter. Look at the top biomed unis, I can tell you now the top 5 don't do accredited biomed degrees.

Enjoy! It's a good course.
Reply 2
aaronsmith1988
Depends what you plan to do with your degree. If you want to work in a path lab in a hospital you'll need to get accredited which involves an extra year at a different uni. But why would you want to be looking at stool samples all day?! If you want to get into research (after postgrad study) or a pharmaceutical company it doesn't matter. Look at the top biomed unis, I can tell you now the top 5 don't do accredited biomed degrees.

Enjoy! It's a good course.

quick questions what are the top 5 biomed unis out there?
Mr Fish
quick questions what are the top 5 biomed unis out there?

1) Oxford/Cambridge
2) Cambridge/Oxford (can't remember the order of these two!)
3) UCL
4) Imperial
5) SHEFFIELD :biggrin:
Reply 4
aaronsmith1988
1) Oxford/Cambridge
2) Cambridge/Oxford (can't remember the order of these two!)
3) UCL
4) Imperial
5) SHEFFIELD :biggrin:

haha sorry i forgot to say the best 5 apart from the obvious ones i.e ucl and cambridge lol, so top five putting sheffield at the top etc, :smile:
King's College don't offer a IBMS accredited Biomedical Sciences degree as standard either. You have complete flexibility in years 2 & 3 so you can choose modules which will give you an accredited degree, but most people don't bother doing that and stick to what they find easiest...so they can get the best grades possible and move into graduate entry medicine. (isn't that what a Biomedical Sciences degree is for anyway :p: ?)
Reply 6
LiberiFatali
King's College don't offer a IBMS accredited Biomedical Sciences degree as standard either. You have complete flexibility in years 2 & 3 so you can choose modules which will give you an accredited degree, but most people don't bother doing that and stick to what they find easiest...so they can get the best grades possible and move into graduate entry medicine. (isn't that what a Biomedical Sciences degree is for anyway :p: ?)

At least you are open about it :p:
Mr Fish
haha sorry i forgot to say the best 5 apart from the obvious ones i.e ucl and cambridge lol, so top five putting sheffield at the top etc, :smile:

It's changed a bit for 2011...

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

Look under Biological Sciences.

LiberiFatali
(isn't that what a Biomedical Sciences degree is for anyway :p: ?)

Haha!! As much as I hate to admit it..
LiberiFatali

bit lazy picking the easiest modules :p: :shhh: your not meant to let on to the non biomed that everyone wants to do med is true :ninja:

doing a accredited degree or not dosn't matter, if you want to work in the NHS as a biomed it helps

don't pick a place on league table, as they are pretty poor to go around basing what uni to go to
if you want to try for med, it dosn't matter what uni your degree is from, most people planing to get on the 4 year route won't first time round
Say if i went on to the second year for an accredited uni can I just carry on from there o is this just too much hassle because I dont exactly know what i wanna do after :s-smilie:
OneBeanLescott
Say if i went on to the second year for an accredited uni can I just carry on from there o is this just too much hassle because I dont exactly know what i wanna do after :s-smilie:

sorry i don't get what you are asking

is it either you are transferring to another uni that has the accredited dergee

or are going into your 2nd at a accredited uni

these hassle with moving uni
robinson999
sorry i don't get what you are asking

is it either you are transferring to another uni that has the accredited dergee

or are going into your 2nd at a accredited uni

these hassle with moving uni

Both these, going to an accerdited uni but for the second year... isit worth all the hassle? isit really that big of a hassle ?
OneBeanLescott
Both these, going to an accerdited uni but for the second year... isit worth all the hassle? isit really that big of a hassle ?

that really depends on a number of issues, if the uni you are going to is the one you want to be at, if you want the accredited dergee over a non accredited

moving uni going to be a hassle no matter what way you look at it :p: if its what you want to do and where you want to go
Cos im thinking that having a non acrediated Biomedical degree will hamper me in some shape or form and there must be some advantage ... I still dont realistically know what jobs I can do after I graduate and how hard it will be to get one. Also I wanted to go to Surrey to do it there but could not so I had to go through UCAS Extra
Reply 14
Accredited courses are boring as fcuk. I've just graduated from Sheffield, it's a good course, one of the best. :biggrin:
OneBeanLescott
Cos im thinking that having a non acrediated Biomedical degree will hamper me in some shape or form and there must be some advantage ... I still dont realistically know what jobs I can do after I graduate and how hard it will be to get one. Also I wanted to go to Surrey to do it there but could not so I had to go through UCAS Extra

it won't hamper you at all, the place it becomes a issue is when applying for NHS biomed jobs, the advantage is you want to apply for training position, its something that not hard pick up, spend a year or so doing top up courses or a masters to get the accredited part

oh sheffield uni how you are telling a little lie there
3. Is the Biomedical Science degree accredited?

Biomedical Science degrees in the UK are divided into academic courses, which are not accredited by the IBMS, and vocational courses, which are accredited. Biomedical Science at Sheffield is not accredited by the IBMS.

This is because we are an academic course, training students to enter into a variety of graduate careers. Degrees accredited by the IBMS are specifically aimed at students who plan a career as a technician in the NHS. As such the IBMS specify the topics the students cover. At Sheffield our teaching is research-led, and therefore covers areas currently under investigation in our own laboratories.

For this reason we would not seek accreditation of our course by the IBMS. However, some of our students have had their degree accredited post graduation.
Reply 16
Guys how can I find out if the Uni is doing an accredited course? I wanna apply for grad med hopefully.
What if your Bachelors isnt accredited, but you complete an IBMS accredited Maters? Can you work for the NHS then???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending