This discussion is closed.
onlylittleme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Anybody take the three sciences and maths for AS Level? How difficult is it and does it get boring just doing fact based subjects? I was just wondering because I was going to take AS English Lit, with maths and two sciences but I dont think that I would do well in English and I cant decide between Physics and Chemistry. Any info??/
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
Anybody take the three sciences and maths for AS Level? How difficult is it and does it get boring just doing fact based subjects? I was just wondering because I was going to take AS English Lit, with maths and two sciences but I dont think that I would do well in English and I cant decide between Physics and Chemistry. Any info??/
if ur goin into science/maths 4 uni then its perfect.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have 3 or 4 friends who are doing the 3 sciences and Maths. I think they are planning to do Medicine or medical-related courses at uni next year.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do 3 sciences and maths.
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
I do 3 sciences and maths.
Is it really difficult?? Does it get boring??

Which is more interesing, Physics or Chemistry??
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I dont think it's too difficult. It depends what you're good at I suppose. I prefer chemistry to physics.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

i prefer chemistry, but i think physics is more useful
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what there are 3 maths can someone explain please
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
prefer physics over chemistry since i find chem repetitive
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you want to do a medical degree, or think you might consider it remember that chemistry at a-level is essential.

I personaly find chemistry the harder, but more intresting subject out of physics and chemistry.
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did 3 sciences and maths for AS level. I hated maths, I hated physics. Chemistry was dull, but fairly straight forward, and biology was just painfully difficult. If you want to do a degree in science or medicine go for it, if not then DON'T DO IT! It does get dull, it is hard, and you will wish you were doing something Non science. I think I got through my AS year because I did Psychology AS as an enrichment subject, and it was nice to get away from science for a bit. I would say to not do Physics, because all it is is equations and definitions. Boring!!

But it is really up to you. I personnaly wish I had never done maths or physics, but everyone is different. It's up to you I guess! Sorry!
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did sciences and maths for AS and dropped chem at A2 cos i hated it!

But if you have a real interest in these subjects...then it doesn't get boring at all...depends who you are and what you like...

Personally i prefer physics...cos i can't see the point in chem at all...that's just my opinion tho...

Make sure you like the subjects you choose tho...cos if you dont like them....you probably won't do well in them,

G
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do all the sciences and maths and i wouldnt say i do that much work for the quality of the qualifications i'm getting, it really isnt that hard.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I may be doing three sciences, maths and further maths. Personally, these are the only subjects which I think I would remotely interesting at a-level (apart from politics which isn't offered, or economics if I hadn't already done it all at GCSE). I am a bit worried that I will not do very well at chemistry, but otherwise I'm actually looking forward to starting my as-levels.

I would advise you to consider last year's a-level results in each subject and what you think of the teachers as this could make a huge difference in whether you find lessons interesting, as well as your final grade.

(Original post by angel D)
what there are 3 maths can someone explain please
I think you can do three maths a-levels: maths, further maths and statistics but the topic starter just meant the three sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) and the normal single maths a-level.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I suggest you do a non-science subject, just to give you a break from all the sciency stuff. But that's just my opinion
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I suggest you do a non-science subject, just to give you a break from all the sciency stuff. But that's just my opinion
Nah!

3 sciences and maths is good because they are all inter-related and you'll find that they cross over in some points which can be useful! Its always said that doing a non-science subject is good for breath of subjects but it depends on you personally, so if you feel your not good at Eng Lit. then don't do it just for the breath! I did 2 sciences, maths and french last yr for the fact the teachers said I need breath for a good uni application, and although i'm glad i didnt do physics, I got A's in my other AS's and a D in french so obviously trying to get breath wasn't a good idea! However as I said before its down to you personally, which one do u enjoy most and more importantly (in my eyes) do you think your going to get the best grades in?

Most people who do, do 3 sciences and maths do medicine...is that the field your interested in?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I was thinking of doing 3 sciences and maths, but in the end decided to do maths, physics, chemistry and english literature. I'm not that interested in biology, well at least not so much as the others. I like having something a bit different, but really it's a decision only you can make.

Are you thinking of doing medicine? I know someone who did English lit and 2 sciences for A level (in the days when everyone just did 3) and said English was the best preparation for it, as you learnt how to handle a lot of information and extract what's relevant etc.

I think all my subjects are great, and don't know if I could help you decide between physics and chemistry. Both are very useful as well as being interesting. Personally, I would probably say physics because I want a career in it, but if you're considering doing a medical course you definitely need chemistry.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
PHYSICS RULES CHEMISTRY!
C0nnie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hiya
i did all sciences and maths at as level, nd am hoping to do medicine next yr. i dropped physics this yr, so i'm doin 3 a levels.
it is useful to do all three and maths, cos with as levels being, personally i think, a big step from gcse, the four subjects overlap in some areas, so u have to do less understanding, than other people who don't, nd that also equals less work, cos u already know it!
personally also, i think during the year, you have less work than those people doin essay based subjects, but when it gets to revision time, like now, those ppl seem to have so much less to do...
also i think chemistry is easier than physics, and i understood it better than physics. and it will be more relavent i think for medicine, if u wanted to do that at uni.
only do all three nd maths if ure really interested, but also, at your skool is there a time period where u can change ure subjects if u don't like them? we had till the oct half term of our first term in L6th to change, which was useful, and some ppl still changed up till christmas!
hope i've helped!
x
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would advise against it. Not good preparation for PPE.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.79%
No (263)
33.21%

Watched Threads