This discussion is closed.
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I suggest you do a non-science subject, just to give you a break from all the sciency stuff. But that's just my opinion
I would agree with what Sam says. I do maths, further maths, physics and philosophy. Doing philosophy is a very refreshing change from maths and phyiscs. It enables you to think deeply and more logical, as well as making sure that you keep you're writing skills up to scratch! When I have been to phyiscs interviews at universities, the professors seemed to be very intrigued by the philosophy. In my opinion, philosophy and physics are searching for answers about the same fundamental ideas; just in different ways…
onlylittleme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Are you thinking of doing medicine? I know someone who did English lit and 2 sciences for A level (in the days when everyone just did 3) and said English was the best preparation for it, as you learnt how to handle a lot of information and extract what's relevant etc.

I was looking at English Literature to have one subject a bit different to all the sciences...but also because I really enjoy it and find it interesting!

Medicine is an option for the future but I am not really sure, it is the only reason that I would take Chemistry. I find Physics FAR more interesting and easier, Chemistry just seems to be learning exactly what every element does, but I dont know if this changes much at AS.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As long as u dont consider Computer Science as a 'science' A Level, youll be fine! Universities dont really like Computer Science unless you are going to do it at uni.
s.ahmad3
Report 16 years ago
Im doing 3 sciences and maths, and its fine. Its perfect if you want to do medicine (like me) or other science related things. If you do take it up and find it boring, then maybe youre just in the wrong line of subjects. I personally find it fine, but cant wait until i start doing medicine
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s.ahmad3)
Im doing 3 sciences and maths, and its fine. Its perfect if you want to do medicine (like me) or other science related things. If you do take it up and find it boring, then maybe youre just in the wrong line of subjects. I personally find it fine, but cant wait until i start doing medicine
Yeah
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah, my first post! I do the 3 sciences with pure maths - i don't think pure maths is v popular nowadays!

Btw at my chem interview at Oxford last month i didn't come across any other applicant doing my A-levels, let alone 3 sciences with maths. Bit strange eh?

J.
r316
Report 16 years ago
3 sciences + maths for medicine... consider it carefully.
For medicine, Cambridge loves this combination, while UCL/Wales/etc give preference to a non-science subject at AS/A level. Physics isn't that useful for medicine if you're doing maths, so pick the one you love and will therefore do best in.

Physics vs. Chemistry- I'd vote Chem., but you need to think whether you might want to do engineering etc.
It sounds as though you don't like Eng. Lit. particularly. Don't force your way through if that's the case- do 3 sciences and maths- and enjoy it. If you do choose medicine, you can just not apply to uni's which don't like this combination (and there's not that many).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads