A level French - how hard is it really? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Spiral
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, i'v put down A level French for my 6th form application and was just wondering how anyone whose doing/done a level french finds it.

I would like to get a good grade if i did it at a level, but i don't speak it at home or anything, i'v just been taught it from school, so i don't know whether i'd be able to do it. For my mocks i got A* in reading and a B in listening, but i'm not sure how i would improve listening either.
(The other A levels i'v chosen are geography, maths and psychology).
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Spiral)
Hi, i'v put down A level French for my 6th form application and was just wondering how anyone whose doing/done a level french finds it.

I would like to get a good grade if i did it at a level, but i don't speak it at home or anything, i'v just been taught it from school, so i don't know whether i'd be able to do it. For my mocks i got A* in reading and a B in listening, but i'm not sure how i would improve listening either.
I only did french for AS, but we started the A level course at the end of our AS exams. One thing I have to say, there's a lot more writing and analysing stuff.
Spiral
Rep:
?
Ok thank you xenon, surely there's more people in this whole forum whose taken as level french??
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

The difference with studying an A level in a language, is the need for consistency with your learning. Unlike other subjects you can't pick up a book the night before your exams and do well (unless you are already fluent to some degree).
wigman15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am currently studying two AS language subjects: Spanish and French. If you know the grammar, it is not really that hard. It's just you have to learn soo many new words which drives you crazy.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The AS french oral annoyed me. I searched high and low for the info. Found loads a few weeks before the actual exam, and then by the time the mock came, Iwas confident in what I was saying. If you feel confident, then you will speak more fluently and the confidence will come out in your voice, I think. Sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with what was asked in the 1st place.
Spiral
Rep:
?
Do you think after taking it to a level you'd actually be able to say that you're fluent in french?
wigman15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've got that problem now! I am doing the FN and can only talk about news from September 2003+ which is really annoying as there aren't many articles which are really interesting since then.
Spiral
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenon)
The AS french oral annoyed me. I searched high and low for the info. Found loads a few weeks before the actual exam, and then by the time the mock came, Iwas confident in what I was saying. If you feel confident, then you will speak more fluently and the confidence will come out in your voice, I think. Sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with what was asked in the 1st place.
I'm grateful for any information! I don't like the way in GCSE they give you role plays and you don't know what they're gonna be about or the questions you have to ask.
wigman15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you think after taking it to a level you'd actually be able to say that you're fluent in french?
You would know how good you are (or even how fluent you are) when you go to France and communicate in everyday life situations. I certainly hope that I will be fluent by the end!
Spiral
Rep:
?
(Original post by wigman15)
You would know how good you are (or even how fluent you are) when you go to France and communicate in everyday life situations. I certainly hope that I will be fluent by the end!
Yeh, i guess so! So how would i improve my listening for french? I tried listening to Oceans 11 in French (on dvd) but i don't think it's helped that much lol.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh, i guess so! So how would i improve my listening for french? I tried listening to Oceans 11 in French (on dvd) but i don't think it's helped that much lol.

French radio's good - try fiddling with your radio on MW and see if you can get any French stations. It's alwys fuzzy and I guess it depends on where you live as to whether you can get it, but I found listening to the radio helped a lot. As with most things I found 'little and often' worked best. Other than that, going to france for a few days can be a help! If it's possible, try to pretty much immerse yourself - it works wonders.
Spiral
Rep:
?
Seems like you have to be really dedicated to learning the language.
Psyche
Report 16 years ago
Seems like you have to be really dedicated to learning the language.
Yup
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did A Level French and am nowhere near fluent. I will be spending a year in France as part of my degree, so I should be fluent after that.
Spiral
Rep:
?
Hmm ok, i think i will take french cos i do really want to carry on learning it. Thank you to everyone who replied!
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i did french GCSE a year early and i got an A*, and i am currently doing AS level french (i'm in year 11) and i got a high B for my mock reading paper, so it can't be that difficult.....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads