Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi -
    i'm in the lower 6th @ a private school 4 my a levels (but previously have always been in the state system and am only at this school because my parents scraped the money together hehe)! But i have found that the standards of the other girls who would love to go to oxbridge are incredibly high (i have two new close friends who have straight a's & a*s in their gcses and there are many more like them in the year). i went on a summer school course in the summer, to somerville and absolutely fell in love with it - and would desperately love to go there 4 my a levels. in my gcse's i got 3a*s (in english lit & lang, and rs), 2 a's (history & food tech), 2 b's (drama and maths) and 3 c's (french and sciences). @ my secondary school i was head girl and have always done as many extra activities as possible,and have always loved english. as you can see, due to various reasons my results are a fairly mixed bag but the teachers seem to suggest they think i could get straight a's in my a levels (i'm doing english/rs/history/psychology and want to do english lit at uni) - i'm working as hard as i possibly can to try and prove them right. Would there be any point in trying for oxbridge at all, or am i just not good enough? i am encouraging people to be honest (and brutal hehe if they feel they must) as i'd rather not even bother trying than make a fool of myself compared to everybody else!!!
    Thanks so much - any advice is welcomed,
    lucy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy_hulme_baa)
    Hi -
    i'm in the lower 6th @ a private school 4 my a levels (but previously have always been in the state system and am only at this school because my parents scraped the money together hehe)! But i have found that the standards of the other girls who would love to go to oxbridge are incredibly high (i have two new close friends who have straight a's & a*s in their gcses and there are many more like them in the year). i went on a summer school course in the summer, to somerville and absolutely fell in love with it - and would desperately love to go there 4 my a levels. in my gcse's i got 3a*s (in english lit & lang, and rs), 2 a's (history & food tech), 2 b's (drama and maths) and 3 c's (french and sciences). @ my secondary school i was head girl and have always done as many extra activities as possible,and have always loved english. as you can see, due to various reasons my results are a fairly mixed bag but the teachers seem to suggest they think i could get straight a's in my a levels (i'm doing english/rs/history/psychology and want to do english lit at uni) - i'm working as hard as i possibly can to try and prove them right. Would there be any point in trying for oxbridge at all, or am i just not good enough? i am encouraging people to be honest (and brutal hehe if they feel they must) as i'd rather not even bother trying than make a fool of myself compared to everybody else!!!
    lucy.
    i think its worth applying...you obviously love your subject and work hard and thats whats important. even tho im in the pool right now and am probably gonna get rejected from cambridge i would still encourage you to apply rather than go round thinking what if i had...
    good luck
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    You're GCSE's certainly wouldn't automatically rule you out. A good personal statement, reference, interview and a few good pieces of submitted work would more than make up for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    i think its worth applying...you obviously love your subject and work hard and thats whats important. even tho im in the pool right now and am probably gonna get rejected from cambridge i would still encourage you to apply rather than go round thinking what if i had...
    good luck
    xxxx
    thanku for the advice tina ! i do really love english it's just such a put down when u go to another school with all these girls who have the most amazing results ever (although i am trying to convince myself that as it's a selective school, if i had been there since i was 5 i would hopefully have the same sorts of results!). i am going to do as well as humanly possible in my a levels i just worry that i've blown my chances before i've begun with my slightly scattered gcse results. what are you hoping to study @ cambridge? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    You're GCSE's certainly wouldn't automatically rule you out. A good personal statement, reference, interview and a few good pieces of submitted work would more than make up for them.
    oh good well i hope not - do u think it would be worth trying to drum up some support from the summer school i went on, nearer the time? i hope i made a bit of an impression (even though i probably didn't hehe!) - thanx xx

ReputationRep:
    you might as well apply, you've got 6 choices

ReputationRep:
    Hi -
    lucy.
    Hey Lucy,

Your results at GCSE will not count in your favour. But, they won't exclude you automatically. I think if you get 4 A's or close in AS you should apply.

I got 2 A*s, 4A's and 3 B's. Then 2 A's a B and a C at AS. I am predicted 3 A's. They are not great results. However, I applied for Eng Lit (which i LOVE) and was pooled which means I came pretty close I think. To be honest I think a lot of it is about how enthusiastic you are and how well you can talk about different things you have read.

In preparation for my interview I read a lot. And widely - not just syllabusy stuff. It looks good when they ask you a question which you can answer by referring to many books, poems, authors etc. A lot is based on interview and references. More so than on GCSE results I feel. Start reading now and analysing. Make sure u get your A grades and then give it a go. Don't worry about making a fool of yourself - you won't I am sure.

Also all the extra-curricular looks good. And as an old head-girl you will get a good reference. I am re-applying next year as I don't think I made it this time round.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Adam

ReputationRep:
    I would go for it. What they are looking for is something raw, and if you've got it then its worth applying. Don't worry about all those with A* at GCSE etc. Its what you are like in your subject that matters. What did you make of Somerville? I'm going there next year if I get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    What's the harm in applying? In my opinion, Oxbridge is a total lottery, and grades will only get you so far. If you have both talent for and love of English, you stand as much chance as anyone else.

That said, you should be aware that English is one of the more competitive arts courses at Oxbridge and so it would be good to have a realistic and worthy back-up just in case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    I would go for it. What they are looking for is something raw, and if you've got it then its worth applying. Don't worry about all those with A* at GCSE etc. Its what you are like in your subject that matters. What did you make of Somerville? I'm going there next year if I get the grades.

hi - thanx 4 the advice; i just worry that they will judge me by my grades and not even give me the chance of an interview or anything. do u think i will have the same prob with my gcses at other 'traditional' universities (ie i'd also plan to try for places like st. andrews)??? Somerville was absolutely lovely - really nice. it was really beautiful and there was a lovely quad in the centre of all the buildings (most of which were really old and nice) with benches ...etc and you could hear music playing out of the windows of the rooms - just a really nice atmosphere; i'd definitely recommend it - it was just the epitomy of how i'd expect uni life 2 be (which was the whole point of the summer school; 2 live as uni students) - wot subject r u plannin 2 do @ uni? xx

ReputationRep:
    hi - thanx 4 the advice; i just worry that they will judge me by my grades and not even give me the chance of an interview or anything. do u think i will have the same prob with my gcses at other 'traditional' universities (ie i'd also plan to try for places like st. andrews)??? Somerville was absolutely lovely - really nice. it was really beautiful and there was a lovely quad in the centre of all the buildings (most of which were really old and nice) with benches ...etc and you could hear music playing out of the windows of the rooms - just a really nice atmosphere; i'd definitely recommend it - it was just the epitomy of how i'd expect uni life 2 be (which was the whole point of the summer school; 2 live as uni students) - wot subject r u plannin 2 do @ uni? xx
    History. Theres a box on the Oxford form, and if theres any reason for poor GCSEs etc you can put it there. Apart from that just try and get v. good AS to make up for it. I.e try and get above 90%, its easy, mainly just cram learning.

I can't wait to get to Somerville, lovely atmosphere etc. Its that where you think you will apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    History. Theres a box on the Oxford form, and if theres any reason for poor GCSEs etc you can put it there. Apart from that just try and get v. good AS to make up for it. I.e try and get above 90%, its easy, mainly just cram learning.

I can't wait to get to Somerville, lovely atmosphere etc. Its that where you think you will apply?
    well yeah if i can get the as results like u said, and actually think its worth me trying 4 there hehe, then it would definitely be Somerville! So do u have a conditional offer or.....??? i know this is what every1 wants 2 know but do u have any tips on making ur personal statement/interview stand out? thanx xx

ReputationRep:
    well yeah if i can get the as results like u said, and actually think its worth me trying 4 there hehe, then it would definitely be Somerville! So do u have a conditional offer or.....??? i know this is what every1 wants 2 know but do u have any tips on making ur personal statement/interview stand out? thanx xx
    Yea, i've got an AAA conditional offer. If I were I would go for it. Somerville like to take candidates who aren't the conventional Oxford type, so you might even stand a better chance. On the interview, I can't really help for anything apart from History. Wear casual at Somerville, you'll fit in better. The personal statement only really matters in getting you an interview. Will your school help you much?

ReputationRep:
    definitely apply - you sound like exactly the sort of person who deserves to get in.

ReputationRep:
    thanku for the advice tina ! i do really love english it's just such a put down when u go to another school with all these girls who have the most amazing results ever (although i am trying to convince myself that as it's a selective school, if i had been there since i was 5 i would hopefully have the same sorts of results!). i am going to do as well as humanly possible in my a levels i just worry that i've blown my chances before i've begun with my slightly scattered gcse results. what are you hoping to study @ cambridge? xx
    dont worry abt your gcses, you could always explain it at the interview. and DONT get put off by other people! i go to a state school and i dont believe this will disadvantage me....so dont regret going to one before! oxford + cambridge are working very hard to ensure that your school does not disadvantage you so im they are quite aware of indidvidual circumstances.

im hoping to study social and political science (sps) but havent heard anything from the pool. but even if i dont get in i wont go round thinkinh....what if i had applied to cambridge which i would have otherwise....so if you really want to apply somewhere just go for it and best of luck! let me know how it goes!

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.