The Student Room Group

Retaking A Levels: Suggestions?

Umm, if you're too lazy to read all of it just go to the last paragraph.

I took CIE A Levels this june, and they didn't go as planned so I think I'll retake them to have a better shot at getting in the course I want. I have two options.

1. Retake them in november, so I'll have the results before the application deadline, get more than the required grades, BUT with a not so competitive subject combination (Maths, Further Maths, Econ, Accounting; most people applying with further maths to the course have better subjects than accounting and even five or six subjects). This also has the advantage that my A Levels will be done within 2 years four months.

2. Retake them in June, but apply with predicted grades. I will take up a few more subjects, History and Eng Lit (please no crap about this being useless, I think taking more subjects relevant to the course will help since I'm confident I'll get good grades in all of them). This has the advantage of course I'll have a far better subject combination as I'll ditch accounting for something better. This is also means the A Levels will done in three years :erm: However it also gives me some time to prepare for the SAT in time as I'll be applying to US universities as well.

Before this gets too long, the main question is does applying with good grades that have already been received improve my chances than applying with even better but merely predicted grades since I'm retaking? After answering that you could read the whole thing and maybe give a helpful response taking all the points in account
Reply 1
I'm retaking A2.

Does applying with good grades that have already been received improve my chances than applying with even better but merely predicted grades since I'm retaking?

The thing is if I give my retakes this november I get my results before the application deadline, however if I give the retakes in June, I will be able to take one more subject and thus improve my application with a better subject combination but I'd have to reply with predicted grades. Thoughts?
Reply 2
Put your 'good grades' on your application; the fact that you are resitting despite achieving laudable results will speak for itself (assuming you can communicate that fact)
Reply 3
connorbrown
Put your 'good grades' on your application; the fact that you are resitting despite achieving laudable results will speak for itself (assuming you can communicate that fact)

I'm sorry I didn't word the question correctly. I haven't received any laudable grades yet :p:, it's either applying with the good grades that 'will be' recieved before the next application deadline (jan 15) or applying with predicted grades for which I'll sit in june next year.

I think this will make more sense: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1361868
Reply 4
Personally, I would go with the actual grades. As long as they reflect a level of ability you are happy with.
Reply 5
+ bump

This is really important.

@connorbrown; nah mate they don't reflect a level of ability i am happy with at all
asdfg0987
I'm retaking A2.

Does applying with good grades that have already been received improve my chances than applying with even better but merely predicted grades since I'm retaking?

The thing is if I give my retakes this november I get my results before the application deadline, however if I give the retakes in June, I will be able to take one more subject and thus improve my application with a better subject combination but I'd have to reply with predicted grades. Thoughts?

For anything you will resit put 'pending'.

For any good grades which you will not resit for don't put pending, but state the grades. If you feel comfortable with your grades, always put the best grades on your UCAS. If you don't, and you plan on resitting, put pending.

I hope I helped? I didn't really understood the thread.
Reply 7
deathbeforeimmortality
For anything you will resit put 'pending'.

For any good grades which you will not resit for don't put pending, but state the grades. If you feel comfortable with your grades, always put the best grades on your UCAS. If you don't, and you plan on resitting, put pending.

I hope I helped? I didn't really understood the thread.

Hey thanks a lot for replying but not really. I couldn't explain myself properly in this thread, this makes more sense: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1361868

I'm not totally sure about how the british system works so answering that would be really helpfull ta
I dont think it does.

Universities rely on predicted grades. Whatever you had in AS could be helpful but it doesnt say what you will get in A2. Predicted grades is what the teacher believes you will get in A2 and they will usually go by this.

We do not know how much admission tutor's rely on either thing and i dont think one gives you more chance than the other. Admission tutor's expect your teachers to give you realistic prediction grades because they know you best. So the combination of both is always used. Even if you cash in some of your grades, and you dont have full A levels, your prediction grades will be put on UCAS anyway.

You are better off contacting a uni's admissions office.
asdfg0987

1. Retake them in november, so I'll have the results before the application deadline, get more than the required grades, BUT with a not so competitive subject combination (Maths, Further Maths, Econ, Accounting; most people applying with further maths to the course have better subjects than accounting and even five or six subjects). This also has the advantage that my A Levels will be done within 2 years four months.

2. Retake them in June, but apply with predicted grades. I will take up a few more subjects, History and Eng Lit (please no crap about this being useless, I think taking more subjects relevant to the course will help since I'm confident I'll get good grades in all of them). This has the advantage of course I'll have a far better subject combination as I'll ditch accounting for something better. This is also means the A Levels will done in three years :erm: However it also gives me some time to prepare for the SAT in time as I'll be applying to US universities as well.

Before this gets too long, the main question is does applying with good grades that have already been received improve my chances than applying with even better but merely predicted grades since I'm retaking? After answering that you could read the whole thing and maybe give a helpful response taking all the points in account

You can't get away from the disadvantage of taking longer than two years to get your grades, and this may even make any second attempt for a top university out of the question; only the university can answer that one. If you get a satisfactory answer to this then I can't see that either plan would have significant advantages over the other.

Five or six irrelevant subjects are just that - irrelevant - and won't help anyone's application.
asdfg0987
However it also gives me some time to prepare for the SAT in time as I'll be applying to US universities as well.

All I can tell you is that the SAT and applying for US unis is a huge, expensive, time-consuming process. It's only worth doing if that's your main focus because it really is a whole lot of time and money - not sure if you could do it whilst taking other A Levels and applying for UK unis unless it was the thing you wanted most.
Reply 11
asdfg0987
Hey thanks a lot for replying but not really. I couldn't explain myself properly in this thread, this makes more sense: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1361868

I'm not totally sure about how the british system works so answering that would be really helpfull ta

That link as with the other just takes you to this same thread!
Reply 12
dg2009
That link as with the other just takes you to this same thread!

i think i got it mixed up with a similiar thread i made :embarrassed:

Latest

Trending

Trending