Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neildm)
    Debating soc is supposed to be very expensive. I suppose if you're extremely passionate about debate you'd spend the money, but still, quite a charge.
    I forget but I think the Union is somewhere around 80£ or so for life membership, it's amazing how many people I know bought it and only go for the ice-cream tasting and not the debates.

Colleges may have their own mini debating society too, which is likely to be free.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Well... since this topic has come up... what is there by way of (classical) choirs in Cambridge that the amateur can join? Are there any non-choral-scholars here who sings in a choir at Cambridge?

I've sung at my undergrad uni choir (Bass I) -- my range is pretty much baritone -- for a number of years now, and I would like to continue singing in Cambridge.

From looking around on the Cambridge website, it seems that the CUMS Chorus is the university choir, but I suspect the standards in Cambridge would be much higher, so I don't know if I can pass the audition. Is there anything else available?

Thanks in advance.

CUMS is pretty good, I hear, though I've never heard them sing. As for chapel choirs, all the biggies (King's, John's, Clare, Trinity etc) take choral scholars only I think. However the other college choirs tend to be more laid back about it; I'm no choral scholar (far from it!) but I sing in Sidney choir. You don't necessarily have to be a member of the college to sing in its choir either; Sidney at least has a couple of people from Clare, one from John's, one from Jesus, etc. You'll still have to audition for these choirs but you don't have to be choral scholarship standard! In addition to this there are other choral societies: there's certainly one at Queens'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    I am so not a mornings person. I took naps in the afternoon sometimes to make up for it

To get a degree the university requires that you spend a certain amount of time living within 2 (I think it may be 3) miles of Great St. Mary's church in the centre of town. That time is usually covered if you stay in residence during Full Term, any days not in residence during Full Term should normally have to be made up by staying for longer during Term. Some colleges, like caius I believe are a lot stricter about this than others like mine. They'll probably require you to sign out for fire reasons if nothing else, and if possibly have permission from your director of studies. Each college will vary with this.
    I don't know of anyone who goes back every weekend as weekends are pretty much regarded as a time to do work still, though some people may go home for one weekend a term. On the whole though, people stay here, as you may appreciate when you get here and are faced with the kind of time restrictions you get!

As I say you'll probably need a good reason and a permit, especially if you want to keep it on/bring it to college land. I know someone from my building has a car, but I think that's because he's heavily involved in the athletics club.
    On a whole it's a bad idea to drive in Cambridge unless you have a long way to travel (ie one end to the other). The one way and pedestrianised systems are such that I believe there's a hundred yard stretch you can walk or cycle down but it's 3 miles or so by road. Oh and the traffic can be terrible.

Motorbikes/scooters etc I don't know about, I expect it'll be about the same as cars except maybe a little easier to convince them.

phd students tend to be allowed cars a lot easier because they have to live out in the sticks in private accommodation usually.

Alaric.
    Ok, well I guess as I'll be attending a graduate college and that I have a young child (who lives in London), they may be a little flexible with me. I'd only need to use a car to travel to and from London, and not within Cam. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to see how my timetable works out Thanks for info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neildm)
    Debating soc is supposed to be very expensive. I suppose if you're extremely passionate about debate you'd spend the money, but still, quite a charge.
    well dunno if ill get a chance ....im still drowning in the pool! but out of interest how much?

ReputationRep:
    I forget but I think the Union is somewhere around 80£ or so for life membership, it's amazing how many people I know bought it and only go for the ice-cream tasting and not the debates.

Colleges may have their own mini debating society too, which is likely to be free.

Alaric.
    i dunno if ill get the chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    CUMS is pretty good, I hear, though I've never heard them sing. As for chapel choirs, all the biggies (King's, John's, Clare, Trinity etc) take choral scholars only I think. However the other college choirs tend to be more laid back about it; I'm no choral scholar (far from it!) but I sing in Sidney choir. You don't necessarily have to be a member of the college to sing in its choir either; Sidney at least has a couple of people from Clare, one from John's, one from Jesus, etc. You'll still have to audition for these choirs but you don't have to be choral scholarship standard! In addition to this there are other choral societies: there's certainly one at Queens'.
    Thanks, MadNatSci. I think you're right about choral-scholars-only membership of the chapel choirs of the big college. At least, that's what I've determined from the St. John's College website, which really does leave much to be desired.

I'm glad to hear that other colleges are more welcoming... perhaps I should have accepted the offer from Sidney Sussex after all. Just out of curiosity, how big is the Sidney choir?

I'm going to audition for the CUMS Chorus when I arrive in Cambridge, but I don't hold high hopes. From what I can gather, it is rather an enormous choir too, which might be daunting, though the choir I'm in now does have just over 100 choristers, mainly women. (Men, especially tenors, are in short supply.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Thanks, MadNatSci. I think you're right about choral-scholars-only membership of the chapel choirs of the big college. At least, that's what I've determined from the St. John's College website, which really does leave much to be desired.

I'm glad to hear that other colleges are more welcoming... perhaps I should have accepted the offer from Sidney Sussex after all. Just out of curiosity, how big is the Sidney choir?

I'm going to audition for the CUMS Chorus when I arrive in Cambridge, but I don't hold high hopes. From what I can gather, it is rather an enormous choir too, which might be daunting, though the choir I'm in now does have just over 100 choristers, mainly women. (Men, especially tenors, are in short supply.)

Sidney's currently got about 30 singers. We're taking about 4 choral scholars next year but as far as I'm aware, the relaxed ethos of the choir isn't really going to be affected that much. It isn't a *wonderful* choir but considering the fact that at the moment it's entirely voluntary it isn't bad. You could always wander over from St John's next year and audition - we already have one bass from there

CUMS is pretty big - but then you kind of need a big choir to do the massive choral works like Messiah, Vivaldi Gloria, etc. It sounds fun - if I can organise myself and make time I might join at some point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    i dunno if ill get the chance!
    I hope you do!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you do!

Alaric.
    me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    All the University guides rave about the strength of the Oxbridge student societies

*so*

I just thought I'd just ask all prospective Oxbridgians and current Oxbridgians and even wannabe Oxbridgians, what societies and clubs do you want to be part of... or indeed are part of?
    A few I do include
    United Nations Association - interesting speakers, politicians etc
    Majlis / HUM - Asian societies - whilst it's quite cool to meet other asians I suppose they are pretty segregative
    Debating/Union - some big celebrities such as Matthew Perry, Clint Eastwood, David Blaine
    GeogSoc - Nothing fancy, one party a term, but cool to meet ppl from outside your college like this
    Not quite a society but student journalism is a great way to spend time constructively...

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into student journalism!

t'will be at cam though. Any tips Jools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer)
    I want to get into student journalism!

t'will be at cam though. Any tips Jools?
    Easy to get involved. Here it's just turning up to news meetings, receive a story to do and get published.

At Cam however I've heard the student papers (Varsity & TCS) are a lot more selective - perhaps they get too many stories, and often they heavily edit them.

ReputationRep:
    Jools, or for that matter anyone else: You wouldn't happen to know how much time playing a sport (tennis) for the university would take up would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Jools, or for that matter anyone else: You wouldn't happen to know how much time playing a sport (tennis) for the university would take up would you?
    If you want to play tennis for fun then it's easily managable. However, if you make the Varsity team (ie representing the university) then it's a lot of work. Managable provided you're very organised and perhaps sacrifice some other activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    If you want to play tennis for fun then it's easily managable. However, if you make the Varsity team (ie representing the university) then it's a lot of work. Managable provided you're very organised and perhaps sacrifice some other activities.
    Aye, I was thinking about the varsity team although I'm not a 100% sure as to quite what the level is... I'd love to get the oppurtunity to play but at the same time amn't sure as to how much I'd be prepared to sacrifice for it...

ReputationRep:
    Im llokign froward to sport, though i cant decide between netball, rugby, football, squash, tennis (prob. not good enough) or starting to row, which looks good. Music too!

And, of course, the winnie the Pooh Society. (http://www.srcf.ucam.org/pooh/)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Im llokign froward to sport, though i cant decide between netball, rugby, football, squash, tennis (prob. not good enough) or starting to row, which looks good. Music too!

And, of course, the winnie the Pooh Society. (http://www.srcf.ucam.org/pooh/)
    Those people look terribly disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Those people look terribly disturbing.

Probably! But imagine getting funding for a biscuit competition, just think how many biscuits youd have to eat!

(i am semi-joking here guys, but it does look funny at least)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Probably! But imagine getting funding for a biscuit competition, just think how many biscuits youd have to eat!

(i am semi-joking here guys, but it does look funny at least)

What about the Spanish Inquisition and the Assassins' Guild?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    What about the Spanish Inquisition and the Assassins' Guild?
    Ooh I've heard about the Assassins' guild, sounds fun The coffee drinking society caught my eye actually, just for it's randomness..

I want to do hockey competitively for college/uni, and probably some other random ones, music I want to keep up...is there a Buffy society?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.