The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lucerna
Ooh I've heard about the Assassins' guild, sounds fun :smile: The coffee drinking society caught my eye actually, just for it's randomness..

I want to do hockey competitively for college/uni, and probably some other random ones, music I want to keep up...is there a Buffy society? :wink:

Don't know - you could always set one up though!
Reply 41
Alaric
for a list of what is available see: http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/socindex.cgi

Interesting list. Does anybody know what the 'women in black' society is? Sounds ominous, and there's no information on it.
Reply 42
lucerna
Ooh I've heard about the Assassins' guild, sounds fun :smile: The coffee drinking society caught my eye actually, just for it's randomness..

There's an assassins' guild!? I would have thought this kind of thing would be outlawed.
Reply 43
Radagasty
There's an assassins' guild!? I would have thought this kind of thing would be outlawed.

It probably should be some people (one of my friends included) take it far far too seriously. It's when they have large supersoaker water pistols, rubber band guns and nerf guns in lectures and will always arrive ten minutes late and leave ten minutes early that one gets worried. Apparently it is good fun though, I'm not convinced.

Alaric.
Alaric
It probably should be some people (one of my friends included) take it far far too seriously. It's when they have large supersoaker water pistols, rubber band guns and nerf guns in lectures and will always arrive ten minutes late and leave ten minutes early that one gets worried. Apparently it is good fun though, I'm not convinced.

Alaric.

"The only good tab is a dead tab..."

Slogan from inter-varsity paintballing. There should be way more events like this.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 45
Jools
At Cam however I've heard the student papers (Varsity & TCS) are a lot more selective - perhaps they get too many stories, and often they heavily edit them.

They edit them? You wouldn't be able to guess :rolleyes:. The ridiculous stupidity of some of the columnists in those rags is abhorrent, I sometimes suspect it's their journalistic form of trolling. Usually the front page article is worth reading, probably not much else.

I know someone who reviews some music for them though, I suspect you just need to volunteer and look keen. Dreamer, try not to annoy me with stupid ill conceived and even worse researched articles that make you sound like a elitist vitriolic eejit.

Alaric.
Alaric
They edit them? You wouldn't be able to guess :rolleyes:. The ridiculous stupidity of some of the columnists in those rags is abhorrent, I sometimes suspect it's their journalistic form of trolling. Usually the front page article is worth reading, probably not much else.

I know someone who reviews some music for them though, I suspect you just need to volunteer and look keen. Dreamer, try not to annoy me with stupid ill conceived and even worse researched articles that make you sound like a elitist vitriolic eejit.

Alaric.

I've heard CUR is good though. Well OK my source was biased. Do you know Natalie Corless, Alaric? 1st yr land econ at Clare, has a show on CUR. Sounds much better than Oxford's student radio station, and she get to interview loads of cool people :frown:

Reply 47
hildabeast
"The only good tab is a dead tab..."

Slogan from inter-varsity paintballing. There should be way more events like this.

hehe, they seem overly keen on laserquest as practice or something here a well. They went to the laserquest european championships or something.

Personally I've never been paintballing, it always looks fun, though inevitably things that you haven't done do.

Alaric.
Reply 48
kildare
Aye, I was thinking about the varsity team although I'm not a 100% sure as to quite what the level is... I'd love to get the oppurtunity to play but at the same time amn't sure as to how much I'd be prepared to sacrifice for it... :s-smilie:

At cam they tend to suggest that people of county level go to the trials, there you'll find out if you're good enough!

It does seem to take up a lot of time though, I was talking with someone I know who is on the university badminton team and their weekly practice is 5 hours long and the also do circuit training at some point during the week. Oh and they have to fit matches in there somewhere too! I think they may have practices during the week too, but only the really big one on the weekend.

You certainly can fit it in, but don't expect to fit much else in!!!

Alaric.
A friend of mine plays hockey for Wales and 1st blues team, 1st blues women's rugby, college hockey, college rugby, college 1st VIII.

Reply 50
hildabeast
I've heard CUR is good though. Well OK my source was biased. Do you know Natalie Corless, Alaric? 1st yr land econ at Clare, has a show on CUR. Sounds much better than Oxford's student radio station, and she get to interview loads of cool people :frown:

CUR is very good, but then I'd be biased too as there are a lot of people I know running it/having shows! Clare does rather dominate CUR I think, though that's not a bad thing :wink:.
I don't know Natalie I don't think, I will have told her how to use computers and given her her network passwords etc so she might possibly remember who I am (but I doubt it because most of freshers' week was probably a blur for them!). Unless freshers play badminton I probably haven't talked to them much! I was very reclusive last term trying to do some computer rep stuff for the clare students' union, working and playing far too many badminton matches! If I happen to meet her I'll be sure to ask if she knows anyone called hildabeast though :wink:

Alaric.
Reply 51
hildabeast
A friend of mine plays hockey for Wales and 1st blues team, 1st blues women's rugby, college hockey, college rugby, college 1st VIII.

does she do any work too?
that looks like a huge workload, I'm awful at time management though, I spend all of it on forums like this one for a start!!!

Alaric.
Reply 52
Alaric
At cam they tend to suggest that people of county level go to the trials, there you'll find out if you're good enough!

It does seem to take up a lot of time though, I was talking with someone I know who is on the university badminton team and their weekly practice is 5 hours long and the also do circuit training at some point during the week. Oh and they have to fit matches in there somewhere too! I think they may have practices during the week too, but only the really big one on the weekend.

You certainly can fit it in, but don't expect to fit much else in!!!

Alaric.

Ah o.k., that doesn't sound too bad at all. Cheers xthup
tomek J.
Cambridge: Rowing, Drinking Society (there is one, right?), Debating Society

A cambridge drinking society...are you nuts?
There are literally over a hundred of drinking socs, several in each college. From the famous selwyn swallows, to the infamous st johns rugger buggers.
Mentally Ill
These are the things I will investigate at the fair (cambridge)

Polo club
rowing
Riding club
ski and snowboard
swimming
boat club
canoe club (maybe)
windsurfing club
yoga society
Andean archeaology society
Black & Asian Caucus
The Cambridge Union
Clay pigeon shooting club
international society

Is there no yacht/sailing club in Cam?

For someone with reasonable time management skills, does anybody at cam/ox know, realistically, how much spare time people get to indulge in these kind of activities?????

there is a yaught/sailing club i can tell you for certain. it's also a blues event
J
dreamer
erm...

debating/union
amnesty/human rights issues
badminton/squash
salsa dancing
anything connected with teaching
law soc
med soc
science soc

ive made those up- hoping some of these things are there!

Law soc and med soc are incompatible. You would not find it pleasant being at both i can assure you
J
Reply 56
If I get my grades then I aim to join these clubs:

- Cricket
- Football
- Table Tennis
- Squash

and possibly:

- Rowing
- Pool

and maybe some others.
Reply 57
Alaric

Alaric.

aw c'mon- you KNOW you love it! When I see a dude who is fuming at a street corner with a 'down with student journalism- careful now' banner...I'll say hi.

What subject are you?
Reply 58
foolfarian
Law soc and med soc are incompatible. You would not find it pleasant being at both i can assure you
J

Clash of the professions?
Reply 59
foolfarian
A cambridge drinking society...are you nuts?
There are literally over a hundred of drinking socs, several in each college. From the famous selwyn swallows, to the infamous st johns rugger buggers.

thanks....good to know!

Latest

Trending

Trending