Societies - what floats your boat Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mentally Ill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
there is a yaught/sailing club i can tell you for certain. it's also a blues event
J
Thanks, I have only ever stepped foot on a yacht this year at the London Boat Show....(actually, a friend of mine has a yacht which I visited years ago - but that is a distant memory). I would like to learn to sail though, and I suppose if there is any place to learn, it would be Cam.........learning to sail in the real world is way too unafordable
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dreamer)
Clash of the professions?
pretty much. Lawyers are taught to argue at the moral level (irony being they are taught to have few themselves) and that combined with the ethical training of medics (which is in the other direction) leads to conflict.
That and they are n*bs who can't take their drink
J
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
aw c'mon- you KNOW you love it! When I see a dude who is fuming at a street corner with a 'down with student journalism- careful now' banner...I'll say hi.
I haven't got a problem with the concept of student journalism. It's just what they're writing at the moment, I suspect they're trying to be sensationalist and it just comes across as stupidity mostly.
Still, maybe they'll change.
...oh sometimes their comedy pieces are actually alright as well as the frontpage story.

What subject are you?
I'm a compsci. Don't hold it against me

Alaric.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I haven't got a problem with the concept of student journalism. It's just what they're writing at the moment, I suspect they're trying to be sensationalist and it just comes across as stupidity mostly.
Still, maybe they'll change.
...oh sometimes their comedy pieces are actually alright as well as the frontpage story.

I'm a compsci. Don't hold it against me

Alaric.
I can't. My brother has taught himself C++ in the xmas hols. He has designed a game with colours and sounds. I am in awe of you programming dudes.

Anyway, the test is, do you Linux?
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Easy to get involved. Here it's just turning up to news meetings, receive a story to do and get published.

At Cam however I've heard the student papers (Varsity & TCS) are a lot more selective - perhaps they get too many stories, and often they heavily edit them.
I'm raising my eyebrow to that
One thing I will say about the student news is that it often is quite cliquey. You'll often find the same names and photos in the paper time and time again
Specially TCS
J
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Anyway, the test is, do you Linux?
I have been known to use linux and also do some system administration for it, though I'm not running it on my computer at the moment because of some hard disk problems that I still haven't got around to sorting out. I'm rather more of a fan of Mac OS X at the moment, though linux is still improving it's a long way off being suitable for the normal desktop users.

Alaric.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Sidney's currently got about 30 singers. We're taking about 4 choral scholars next year but as far as I'm aware, the relaxed ethos of the choir isn't really going to be affected that much. It isn't a *wonderful* choir but considering the fact that at the moment it's entirely voluntary it isn't bad. You could always wander over from St John's next year and audition - we already have one bass from there
It's a chapel choir, right? I'm not really that keen on post-romantic repertoire, and even romantic is a little iffy. How much do you rehearse every week? At any rate, I'm glad to have found another singer on this board.

CUMS is pretty big - but then you kind of need a big choir to do the massive choral works like Messiah, Vivaldi Gloria, etc. It sounds fun - if I can organise myself and make time I might join at some point!
True enough... I've done Messiah before: it's a monumental work, and quite exhausting to sing. Admittedly, it was fun, though. I suppose one does need an enormous choir for the big works. Sometimes, though, I think some works would work better with a smaller chorus than they're often done with.
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Probablt the following:

Pool
Rowing
Physics
Roleplaying
Possibly assasins
Science Fiction
Canoeing
Skydiving
Star Trek
Table Tennis
Kung Fu
Japanese
Wargaming
Windsurfing
Debating

Although not in that order and only if I can afford it!

I like to keep busy - although since I applied for Nat Sci I've got about no chance of having THIS much time.

Damn 24 hour days and need for sleep!
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And any others I find that I like. I'll probably end up creating one for one of my obscure interests too!
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Tina
i dunno if ill get the chance!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you do!

Alaric.

(Original post by Mentally Ill)
me too
thank you alaric & mentally ill ...you're such sweethearts
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I have been known to use linux and also do some system administration for it, though I'm not running it on my computer at the moment because of some hard disk problems that I still haven't got around to sorting out. I'm rather more of a fan of Mac OS X at the moment, though linux is still improving it's a long way off being suitable for the normal desktop users.

Alaric.
Impressive. I'm far too sheep-like to be weaned off just yet in any case. My last computer melted, and I just do what it tells me now.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Radagasty)
It's a chapel choir, right? I'm not really that keen on post-romantic repertoire, and even romantic is a little iffy. How much do you rehearse every week? At any rate, I'm glad to have found another singer on this board.
Yes, it is a chapel choir. We do a wide range of things though; for example we're doing Miserere at the end of this term but at the start we're singing a piece called 'Even such is time', which was only written about ten years ago. Having said that I've tended to enjoy most of the pieces we've done; and a lot of the choir dislike modern, twee pieces so you can always have fun *****ing if it's not something you enjoy Oh, and you won't be able to avoid Rutter in this city, I'm afraid, so if you don't like him hard luck!
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it is a chapel choir. We do a wide range of things though; for example we're doing Miserere at the end of this term but at the start we're singing a piece called 'Even such is time', which was only written about ten years ago. Having said that I've tended to enjoy most of the pieces we've done; and a lot of the choir dislike modern, twee pieces so you can always have fun *****ing if it's not something you enjoy Oh, and you won't be able to avoid Rutter in this city, I'm afraid, so if you don't like him hard luck!
I'm not that familiar with Rutter, to be honest, although we have sung one of his works, the Shepherd's Pipe Carol. Actually, our choirmistress hated that piece, but it was a special request of the choir's administrative assistant for the Christmas concert. Rutter is a Clare alumnus, isn't he?
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
Probablt the following:

Pool
Rowing
Physics
Roleplaying
Possibly assasins
Science Fiction
Canoeing
Skydiving
Star Trek
Table Tennis
Kung Fu
Japanese
Wargaming
Windsurfing
Debating

Although not in that order and only if I can afford it!

I like to keep busy - although since I applied for Nat Sci I've got about no chance of having THIS much time.

Damn 24 hour days and need for sleep!
Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, wargaming, star trek and assassins, combined with being a physical NatSci...
I bet you're a barrel of laughs.
J
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
:rolleyes:
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have I missed something here? Explain the eye-rolling!!
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like to get out when I can - hence the skydiving etc.

Its just that I'm garbage at sports.

What's wrong with sci-fi anyway? It's the only genre where your imagination can truly be free.

I bet you would anger lots of physical Nat Scis with that derogatory comment!

Who cares what you think anyway?
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What's wrong with sci-fi anyway? It's the only genre where your imagination can truly be free.
You could say the same thing about fantasy though, which would mean it's not true about either genre!
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like to get out when I can - hence the skydiving etc.

Its just that I'm garbage at sports.

I bet you would anger lots of physical Nat Scis with that derogatory comment!

Who cares what you think anyway?
I think foolfarian was joking . But you have to admit, you do sound like a bit of a bore from that list. Not saying that you are - I'm sure you are not.
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry Lurker, I tend to lump Fantasy in with sci-fi without explaining. It's probably due to me liking both equally and my local bookshop putting them on the shelves together. I don't think there's really too much difference - both involve things that don't happen in our experence, it's just that the cause is different (science or magic).

Why is skydiving, table tennis and kung fu boring?

And why is no-one else posting what they want to do? has this turned into a discuss androidkiller's choices thread?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (528)
66.75%
No (263)
33.25%

Watched Threads