Societies - what floats your boat Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tifa
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think it's very unfair and narrow-minded to judge someone's personality on a list of 'societies they want to join'. Joking or not, if someone can seem like a *bore* just because they have interests that don't fit into what's typically *cool*, its possible that your narrow scope of interest makes you far more dull - not saying that you are, but I'm not sure that you are not ^_^

I would love to skydive too - maybe I'll see you there android - jumping out of a plane from a few thousand feet.
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks Tifa

I've had to put up with stuff like that for years, especially since I'm rubbish at football and read a lot. It's nice to meet someone else who'd like to skydive -most people I know are too frightened. I've been parascending already, that was fun too.

Which college and course did you apply for? I've got an offer for Nat Sci at Trinity.

androidkiller
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by androidkiller)
Thanks Tifa

I've had to put up with stuff like that for years, especially since I'm rubbish at football and read a lot. It's nice to meet someone else who'd like to skydive -most people I know are too frightened. I've been parascending already, that was fun too.

Which college and course did you apply for? I've got an offer for Nat Sci at Trinity.

androidkiller
I'd recommend windsurfing androidkiller: it is physically exhausting, but exilirating. And you feel really good afterwards!
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tifa)
I think it's very unfair and narrow-minded to judge someone's personality on a list of 'societies they want to join'. Joking or not, if someone can seem like a *bore* just because they have interests that don't fit into what's typically *cool*, its possible that your narrow scope of interest makes you far more dull - not saying that you are, but I'm not sure that you are not ^_^

I would love to skydive too - maybe I'll see you there android - jumping out of a plane from a few thousand feet.
No, I am not far more duller than Androidkiller. I hope you both enjoy jumping together.

Androidkiller - I think it is important that you take part in some physically challenging sports. With the current obesity epidemic it is even more important than it has ever been. I wouldn't worry too much if you are rubbish at them: with enough practice you'll get better. I think uni is the best place to find a sporting interest that you can build upon for the rest of your life!

Dreamers suggestion is good. I think it was on my list.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hooray! Another windsurfer!

Mentally Ill, your point about sport is important. Androidkiller (and anyone else not sporty), don't worry if you didn't enjoy sport at school: it is a limited palette! Personally, my favourite sports weren't introduced to me at school. And I am sure you'll find one you love at Cambridge!
claire_james
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dreamer)
Hooray! Another windsurfer!

Mentally Ill, your point about sport is important. Androidkiller (and anyone else not sporty), don't worry if you didn't enjoy sport at school: it is a limited palette! Personally, my favourite sports weren't introduced to me at school. And I am sure you'll find one you love at Cambridge!
I'M NOT INTERESTED IN WINDSURFING BUT I DO LIKE SPORTS. SUCH AS BASKETBALL, ATHLETICS. HOW IS IT AT YOUR PRESENT UNIVERSITY?
REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
XXX
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've actually already been windsurfing. It's cool, but as a hobby it's hard to keep up due to the distance to the nearest lake and the cost.

I also like other activities, just didn't particularly want to join the society!

I also like
  • hiking

• kayaking

• camping

• dragon boat racing

• rowing

• basketball

I'm not having a trouble with obesity - in fact I'm dead skinny.

Thanks for the tips though.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes the cost is the only reason I have only done it once. Hopefully at uni it will be subsidied!

What's Dragon Boat racing?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes the cost is the only reason I have only done it once. Hopefully at uni it will be subsidied!

What's Dragon Boat racing?

Windsurfing at Cam is cheap.......
http://www.cuwc.org/
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
Windsurfing at Cam is cheap.......
http://www.cuwc.org/
Thanks for that. Not done sailing before, any good?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for that. Not done sailing before, any good?
I have never sailed either. Actually I have, but I havent done the sailing if you see what I mean. It looks like great fun and I cant wait to try it. I am just a little worried that I'll have used up all my student loan on joining these societies and then never have time to do any!

I guess I'll have to make a short list of 3 or 4
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've sailed - it's fun but hard!

It's cool when the winds behind you and you go really fast.

I still prefer windsurfing.

Dragon boating is when you have a wide boat, usuall with a dragon head at the front - hence the name - with 2 people to a seat, one oar each and you try and paddle in time (not row). It's even more fun to race dragon boats. You get quite wet though.

As I said, I like to keep busy. You can add rock climbing to my list too. Damn typical student lack of money!
Tifa
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
No, I am not far more duller than Androidkiller.
lol. Either way I think in truth, very few people are dull so long as you care enough to actually find out.

As for obesity, its might have its perks in skydiving in terms of extra air resistance... but I don't intend on getting fat.

I will probably carry on with Squash and would also really like to get into Climbing. Also wonder about photography.... and there's so much more too... tbh it'll just be good fun trying it all out

I'm shattered - night all...
Edith
Report 16 years ago
"Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, wargaming, star trek and assassins, combined with being a physical NatSci...
I bet you're a barrel of laughs. "

Actually I know a number of people who are into the above and they *are* a barrel of laughs. Being a geek is not a bad thing in itself. The great thing about the Cambridge Societies is that you get to meet other people like you and you realise that you're not the only one who likes the stuff you do. It's great fun.

As for Sci-Fi and Fantasy, they used to be seperate societies but are now re-combined. They are two seperate genres but they share a lot of common ground and the lines between the two tend to get quite blurred here and there. I prefer Azimov's interpretation: Science Fiction is about what *may* be possible. Fantasy is about what is impossible.

Oh and the Winnie the Pooh Society is great. We drink tea and read from the works of A.A. Milne. Occasionally we play Pooh Sticks.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Edith)
"Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, wargaming, star trek and assassins, combined with being a physical NatSci...
I bet you're a barrel of laughs. "

Actually I know a number of people who are into the above and they *are* a barrel of laughs. Being a geek is not a bad thing in itself. The great thing about the Cambridge Societies is that you get to meet other people like you and you realise that you're not the only one who likes the stuff you do. It's great fun.

As for Sci-Fi and Fantasy, they used to be seperate societies but are now re-combined. They are two seperate genres but they share a lot of common ground and the lines between the two tend to get quite blurred here and there. I prefer Azimov's interpretation: Science Fiction is about what *may* be possible. Fantasy is about what is impossible.

Oh and the Winnie the Pooh Society is great. We drink tea and read from the works of A.A. Milne. Occasionally we play Pooh Sticks.
Well thank you Edith and Azimov (whoever this is!) for shattering my school teacher fantasy.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well thank you Edith and Azimov (whoever this is!) for shattering my school teacher fantasy.
Isaac Asimov is a science fiction writer - wrote Foundation and Empire and stuff like that.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Isaac Asimov is a science fiction writer - wrote Foundation and Empire and stuff like that.
can somebody just confirm that the roleplay and fantasy societies are sordid.
Edith
Report 16 years ago
Quote:
"can somebody just confirm that the roleplay and fantasy societies are sordid."

As President of the CU Role-Playing society I'm afraid to say we're not sordid in the slightest. Which is a great pity and something I'm working hard to amend. The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Society on the other hand...
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Edith)
Quote:
"can somebody just confirm that the roleplay and fantasy societies are sordid."

As President of the CU Role-Playing society I'm afraid to say we're not sordid in the slightest. Which is a great pity and something I'm working hard to amend. The Sci-Fi and Fantasy Society on the other hand...
What kind of role play do you do?
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
just been having a quick look at that page:

I dont want to get involved with loads of societies, id rather just join 1 or 2.. but the academicy type ones for my course seem to be largely going to talks etc when you feel like it and not requiring definitely loads of time. I'm not into drama/dance/music/organised sport/religion/etc!

i'm doing natsci and am also hoping to have most of my weekend free for seeing bf at another uni.(if things are all still ok then)

I like the look of, possibly: (* is ones i like most)

*Biological society
Biology in Business
Campus Children's Holidays
Crosstalk

(do you have to do medicine to join the medical society..?)

possibly the winnie the pooh society!

*STIMULUS (doing sciency stuff in local schools)
* Science society

im not amazingly attracted by many of the others but will see what looks good at freshers fair, doubtless i've missed some great ones

Rosie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads