The Student Room Group

New Ranking 2010: Best Colleges and Unis in the US

Forbes has just released its new rankings of colleges and universities. They used 11 factors to determine the rankings, and the largest being graduate success rate. They also looked at average graduate salary, student satisfaction and graduation rate. There are some very random schools in the top 50 (like Claremont in the top 10), i would be surprised if it was all that difficult to get in some of those.

America’s Top 15 Colleges based on Forbes

1. Williams College

2. Princeton University

3. Amherst College

4. United States Military Academy

5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

6. Stanford University

7. Swarthmore College

8. Harvard University

9. Claremont McKenna

10. Yale University

11. United States Air Force Academy

12. Wellesley College

13. Columbia University

14. Haverford College

i have the links and a longer list on my website:
http://bit.ly/9ZFsdR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. Williams College

Who?
Reply 2
alaroche
Who?

2,200 Students

It's the equivilent of heythrop college topping the times table :facepalm2:
Reply 3
alaroche
Who?

that's exactly what i was wondering at, but there are even bigger surprises (names, which i didnt even know existed). Williams is at least known as a private liberal arts college, actually a really good one. (it's not the new vocational college in Birmingham named after Prince William:smile:
Reply 4
Byllie
2,200 Students

It's the equivilent of heythrop college topping the times table :facepalm2:

you do realize that Williams College is one of the oldest educational institutions in the USA with a massive endowment, a successful Alumni and just general all round awesomeness? Just because a University doesn't have 40k students doesn't make it bad. I dont see how it compares to some tiny college which only teaches philosophy....Williams on the other hand:

http://www.williams.edu/academics/

if i recall correctly from reading about this on some other forum where people also at first expressed shock - but only because they didn't bother to read the criteria on which the rankings were based (something along the lines of student satisfaction or something i think -cant rmb).
abrp
you do realize that Williams College is one of the oldest educational institutions in the USA with a massive endowment, a successful Alumni and just general all round awesomeness? Just because a University doesn't have 40k students doesn't make it bad. I dont see how it compares to some tiny college which only teaches philosophy....Williams on the other hand:

http://www.williams.edu/academics/

if i recall correctly from reading about this on some other forum where people also at first expressed shock - but only because they didn't bother to read the criteria on which the rankings were based (something along the lines of student satisfaction or something i think -cant rmb).

If the times only used student satisfaction as the criteria then lufbra would top the table. megalolz
Reply 6
prospectivEEconomist
If the times only used student satisfaction as the criteria then lufbra would top the table. megalolz

megalolz all you want but Williams College is an awesome institution. Ignorance doesn't diminish that fact. Everyone here who's making fun of Williams probably wouldn't be able to gain admission if they tried. also its only one of 11 criteria used. not the only one. Im sure if student satisfaction was the only one, Pepperdine would win. I mean who wouldn't be happy going to Uni in Malibu haha :biggrin:
prospectivEEconomist

Well the Guardian does give a lot of weighing to student satisfaction and oxbridge top the league. You can also sort it by satisfaction and Cambridge then tops it (with Oxford having no score for some reason) followed by St. Andrews.

Anyway, Williams is a very well known institution, I'm not from the USA and I know of it. I'm surprised so many TSR users are so ignorant.
abrp
megalolz all you want but Williams College is an awesome institution. Ignorance doesn't diminish that fact. Everyone here who's making fun of Williams probably wouldn't be able to gain admission if they tried. also its only one of 11 criteria used. not the only one. Im sure if student satisfaction was the only one, Pepperdine would win. I mean who wouldn't be happy going to Uni in Malibu haha :biggrin:

What makes it so awesome? Hardly anyone's heard of it in Asia/Europe, so a degree from there would only be really useful in the US...
prospectivEEconomist
What makes it so awesome? Hardly anyone's heard of it in Asia/Europe, so a degree from there would only be really useful in the US...

Oh snap, the only place where the degree is useful is where the biggest concentration of wealth in the world is. That almost makes it useless.:rolleyes:
AnonymousPenguin
Well the Guardian does give a lot of weighing to student satisfaction and oxbridge top the league. You can also sort it by satisfaction and Cambridge then tops it (with Oxford having no score for some reason) followed by St. Andrews.

Anyway, Williams is a very well known institution, I'm not from the USA and I know of it. I'm surprised so many TSR users are so ignorant.[/QUOTE]
Because, correct me if I am wrong, no one is stupid enough to spend over 100 g's on a degree from an instution that hardly anyone has heard of outside the US?
Reply 11
prospectivEEconomist

Williams does have a name. It's really a great college, but i still dont get why it is ranked first.

Pepperdine is great, i will look up how it's ranked:smile: You just need a surfboard, no books or laptop.
AnonymousPenguin
Oh snap, the only place where the degree is useful is where the biggest concentration of wealth in the world is. That almost makes it useless.:rolleyes:

Oh I didn't know this was an american forum. I wonder why there are so many asians/europeans on this forum? :confused:
prospectivEEconomist

i haven't seen any rankings based on "international name recognition by the common folk" so this point is irrelevant. Do some research on Williams. For a much better perspective check out collegeconfidential forum :smile:
prospectivEEconomist
Oh I didn't know this was an american forum. I wonder why there are so many asians/europeans on this forum?

I don't see your point. Is your argument in a nutshell that attractiveness to TSR membership a valid criterion by which higher education institutions should be ranked?
AnonymousPenguin
I don't see your point. Is your argument in a nutshell that attractiveness to TSR membership a valid criterion by which higher education institutions should be ranked?

No. If a prospective employer in Europe and Asia hasn't heard of such a great institution, what is the point of spending a fortune studying there? Now don't tell me people pursue degrees for the academic interest and have no regard for employment prospects.
dondo
They used 11 factors to determine the rankings, and the largest being graduate success rate.

There is the first flaw, then: a significant scoring factor that no two people would agree on how to define. Why are people so obsessed with ranking tables?
prospectivEEconomist
No. If a prospective employer in Europe and Asia hasn't heard of such a great institution, what is the point of spending a fortune studying there? Now don't tell me people pursue degrees for the academic interest and have no regard for employment prospects.

A couple of problems with your arguments:
1. Given that the survey places high emphasis on alumni success suggests that employers are aware of the institution, at least those that matter.
2. Assuming that European and Asian employers would be unaware of the institution (which is false), there's plenty of graduate prospects in the USA, which is what I was alluding to in my first comment.

You're prioritizing your ignorance over research done by Forbes. Be a bit more open-minded.
prospectivEEconomist

if you're planning to work in Europe/Asia why not....wait for it....wait for it....apply to European/Asian Uni's instead?

in regards to cost - nearly 50% of the people there are on a full ride need based financial aid scholarship.

According to Wiki only 6.7% of the student body is International and id be willing to bet that the majority of them plan on working in USA after graduation - where their degree will be very highly viewed.
At least US News splits up universities and LACs

Latest

Trending

Trending