The Student Room Group

References for volunteering?

Hi,
I'm going to volunteer for 8 hours a week in a charity shop when I go back to uni in September.
However, on the application form, I have to have two references. I have never had a proper job apart from a paper round, but my "boss" from back then only spoke to me twice in the whole 5 years so obviously he wouldn't know anything about me.
Who else could I use for a reference?
University tutor? Are you in contact with any of the student services? My mentor did references for me. Do you know any professionals, such as teachers etc?
I'm just waiting for my references to come through too, i was lucky, i've got a family friend who's known me my whole life and is a civil servant. Do you know anyone like that? A best friend to your parents etc? I then asked my university tutor also who was my mentor. I figured these are going to be better then using work colleagues anyways, as these people know me and my character much better.
You should not use relations or family friends for a reference. The point of a reference is that the writer is putting their professional reputation on the line when they write a reference. A family fried or relative has no such reputational interests and has a vested interest in writing you are good reference, rather than an honest reference.

You should look to anyone that has known you in a professional context, that would include a tutor, lecturer, sports coach, cadet leader, choir leader, teacher, evening class teacher, baby sitting parent, dog walking owner etc.
Reply 4
For paid employment, yeah. Volunteer work generally just wants character references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending