The Student Room Group

Can I have two CAS Numbers?

Hi there,

If I have been given 1 CAS number from uni A, can uni B give me another CAS number? if I want to go to uni B instead of un A, do I have to decline the offer by uni A before I can be accepted by Uni B?

Thanks for telling!

Scroll to see replies

Uni B can give you another CAS number. They wouldn't know what you're doing with Uni A until you tell them anyhow. There is no limit to the CAS numbers that you can receive, you are only restricted to 1 CAS to make the visa application. Just make sure that you keep those 2 CAS numbers separate from each other so you don't confuse them when filling your Tier 4 as each CAS is connected to the institution. When you decline uni A the CAS for A will be cancelled.
I assume you are a student from outside the UK/EU and are a Tier 4 student,in which case you need to make a new visa application. According to info I found (this is from Greenwich Uni's website):

From 5 October 2009, new Tier 4 students" permission to stay in the UK is "tied" to the education provider that is sponsoring them. Every new Tier 4 student will find their sponsor"s reference number on the vignette in their passport or on their identity card for foreign nationals.

If you wish to study with a new Tier 4 sponsor and you made your last application for a Tier 4 visa, it is necessary to apply for a new Tier 4 visa. You must not begin to study with the new education provider until you have received a decision on the outcome of your application.
tigermoth99
I assume you are a student from outside the UK/EU and are a Tier 4 student,in which case you need to make a new visa application. According to info I found (this is from Greenwich Uni's website):

From 5 October 2009, new Tier 4 students" permission to stay in the UK is "tied" to the education provider that is sponsoring them. Every new Tier 4 student will find their sponsor"s reference number on the vignette in their passport or on their identity card for foreign nationals.

If you wish to study with a new Tier 4 sponsor and you made your last application for a Tier 4 visa, it is necessary to apply for a new Tier 4 visa. You must not begin to study with the new education provider until you have received a decision on the outcome of your application.


This is true if you're already enrolled in a uni under Tier 4, and you want to switch universities. Then yes, you'd need to re-apply for a visa with your CAS from Uni B if your CAS from Uni A is already in use.

But I think the OP means that he has two prospective offers and 1 of them has given him a CAS and the other he is still on conditional offer so doesn't know if he has to cancel CAS A so he can get CAS B. So he hasn't applied for the Tier 4 yet. ........eh?...OP?
Reply 4
WaltzvWendt
This is true if you're already enrolled in a uni under Tier 4, and you want to switch universities. Then yes, you'd need to re-apply for a visa with your CAS from Uni B if your CAS from Uni A is already in use.

But I think the OP means that he has two prospective offers and 1 of them has given him a CAS and the other he is still on conditional offer so doesn't know if he has to cancel CAS A so he can get CAS B. So he hasn't applied for the Tier 4 yet. ........eh?...OP?


Yes exactly!! This is my situation now. I will apply visa at the end of this month, but just wonder if I can have 2 CAS number on hand.
Reply 5
Original post by iamcute_lala
Yes exactly!! This is my situation now. I will apply visa at the end of this month, but just wonder if I can have 2 CAS number on hand.


I have the same Issue .

could you answer ? please
(edited 13 years ago)
I know this is a very old thread but I can only find this one regarding my situation.

Can someone please please answer whether one can have multiple CAS numbers before applying for visa?

or guide me to a thread which can answer this.
First you need to decide where you're going to study, accept their offer and decline any other offers. Then use the CAS number from your uni to apply for your visa.
Original post by Masearcher


Can someone please please answer whether one can have multiple CAS numbers before applying for visa?


Why do you need multiple CAS numbers? As long as you hold one CAS number from the university of your choice, you're fine
Well I have applied to University A and they have made an unconditional offer. Soon after though I applied to University B (took some time polishing my personal statement since I really wanted in) and so Uni-B is taking a little more time deciding on whether to make me the offer or not.

Right now Uni-A is asking me again and again to accept my offer as their classes will start at the end of september and if I refuse then they can give someone else the place. Problem is I am willing to go to both of them so if I don't get into B then I sure as hell am going to A.

Now if I accept A's offer, they will start working on the CAS number. SO is there going to be a problem with Uni-B giving me a CAS if they make an offer later since I would have accepted Uni-A offer?

By the way its for a postgraduate degree so they don't follow the usual classes dates.

P.S. Sorry its a bit confusing :/
Original post by alleycat393
First you need to decide where you're going to study, accept their offer and decline any other offers. Then use the CAS number from your uni to apply for your visa.


Well "Post 10" explains the situation
Hi,

The situation doesn't really matter. At the end of the day you have to accept ONE offer, apply for the visa using the CAS number attached to that offer and attend that uni. Have a look at this article. The last para is the one you want: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Preparing--planning/Visas-and-immigration/Applying-for-a-Tier-4-General-visa/Requirements-and-evidence/Confirmation-of-Acceptance-for-Studies-CAS/

At this point I would ask Uni A when is the latest they need to know by. If it gets to that date and Uni B has made a decision, choose which one you would like to attend. If it get to that date and Uni B hasn't made a decision you need to either say yes to Uni A or reject their offer and continue waiting for Uni B.

The only other thing to think about is that the visa processing time may cause you to miss some of your course.
Original post by Masearcher
Well I have applied to University A and they have made an unconditional offer. Soon after though I applied to University B (took some time polishing my personal statement since I really wanted in) and so Uni-B is taking a little more time deciding on whether to make me the offer or not.

Right now Uni-A is asking me again and again to accept my offer as their classes will start at the end of september and if I refuse then they can give someone else the place. Problem is I am willing to go to both of them so if I don't get into B then I sure as hell am going to A.

Now if I accept A's offer, they will start working on the CAS number. SO is there going to be a problem with Uni-B giving me a CAS if they make an offer later since I would have accepted Uni-A offer?

By the way its for a postgraduate degree so they don't follow the usual classes dates.

P.S. Sorry its a bit confusing :/


You've explained it well :smile:

Is University A asking you for any financial commitment - a deposit towards fees or accommodation? Because if you have to make this payment I don't think you will get it back.

My understanding is that you can have more than one CAS issued - the status of these is 'assigned' - then once you apply for the visa, the status of the CAS that you are progressing with is 'used' and the rest expire.

But I'm a UK student and my only knowledge comes from talking with friends - so I'm not 100% certain as I haven't been through the process myself.
Reply 13
Original post by alleycat393
Hi,

The situation doesn't really matter. At the end of the day you have to accept ONE offer, apply for the visa using the CAS number attached to that offer and attend that uni. Have a look at this article. The last para is the one you want: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Preparing--planning/Visas-and-immigration/Applying-for-a-Tier-4-General-visa/Requirements-and-evidence/Confirmation-of-Acceptance-for-Studies-CAS/

At this point I would ask Uni A when is the latest they need to know by. If it gets to that date and Uni B has made a decision, choose which one you would like to attend. If it get to that date and Uni B hasn't made a decision you need to either say yes to Uni A or reject their offer and continue waiting for Uni B.

The only other thing to think about is that the visa processing time may cause you to miss some of your course.


This is spot on.
And late August is already typically very late to be applying for a student visa at most UK consulates. You do run a very real risk of not getting a visa in time to start classes on schedule, and you'll also miss the inductions etc if that happens. Things may have changed, but it's a generally busy period at most consulates as well as peak period for student visa applications, and I recall 6-8 weeks being quite a normal waiting time for student visas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alleycat393
Hi,

The situation doesn't really matter. At the end of the day you have to accept ONE offer, apply for the visa using the CAS number attached to that offer and attend that uni. Have a look at this article. The last para is the one you want: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Preparing--planning/Visas-and-immigration/Applying-for-a-Tier-4-General-visa/Requirements-and-evidence/Confirmation-of-Acceptance-for-Studies-CAS/

At this point I would ask Uni A when is the latest they need to know by. If it gets to that date and Uni B has made a decision, choose which one you would like to attend. If it get to that date and Uni B hasn't made a decision you need to either say yes to Uni A or reject their offer and continue waiting for Uni B.

The only other thing to think about is that the visa processing time may cause you to miss some of your course.


Thank you for link.

Para 2: Well I have been using that tactic to date but yesterday they gave me sort of an ultimatum wanting to know whether i am coming or not.

Para 3: Takes about a week in my country for visa so I think I can make it although I am concerned as well

Original post by Jantaculum
You've explained it well :smile:

Is University A asking you for any financial commitment - a deposit towards fees or accommodation? Because if you have to make this payment I don't think you will get it back.

My understanding is that you can have more than one CAS issued - the status of these is 'assigned' - then once you apply for the visa, the status of the CAS that you are progressing with is 'used' and the rest expire.

But I'm a UK student and my only knowledge comes from talking with friends - so I'm not 100% certain as I haven't been through the process myself.


No financial commitments, they just want me to accept the offer.

Also I don't have any CAS number right now, I am just concerned whether the home department will have problems with issuing a CAS from Uni-B if I get in; after accepting Uni-A they surely will give me a CAS in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help.

Original post by sj27
This is spot on.
And late August is already typically very late to be applying for a student visa at most UK consulates. You do run a very real risk of not getting a visa in time to start classes on schedule, and you'll also miss the inductions etc if that happens. Things may have changed, but it's a generally busy period at most consulates as well as peak period for student visa applications, and I recall 6-8 weeks being quite a normal waiting time for student visas.


I asked around (embassy and consulates) and was told that I will get it in a week, but you are right that is my prime concern right now. Can't do anything about it because I cant rush Uni-B, don't know what consequences that can have on my application :smile:
Hello! I am stuck with the same issue, except that I submitted my visa application today and the uni I really wanted sent me an offer an hour after submission! Any idea on what steps I could follow or if I can get a refund on my application and start a new one or so? Thank you!
Original post by ZahraD123
Hello! I am stuck with the same issue, except that I submitted my visa application today and the uni I really wanted sent me an offer an hour after submission! Any idea on what steps I could follow or if I can get a refund on my application and start a new one or so? Thank you!


that really is bad luck.

Well I thought about it and I think if time is not an issue (in case of post grad studies) then I guess you should defer your application from your fav uni for next year and go then in the following year after waiting or getting the masters you just applied to visa for.

In waiting you will still lose your visa money plus time and in the other case spend twice as much maybe even more plus if courses are same then latter situation is not even viable.

Of course if you talk to the visa issuing authority maybe they can hammer something out for you. I on the other hand am talking about logical steps you can take if you really want to go to this uni.

Might I ask, when did you apply for visa and when are you expecting it?
Thank you for the quick reply! I do not really want to defer entry.

I applied yesterday, 20/08/15 and paid for priority cos uni A starts first week of September so would hopefully be getting it in 5-7 days as stated on the website.

I did contact the UK visa issuing authority, and they made me fill up the email form on the website and they will get back to me in one working day as it says on their website (or so I hope!)

Also I paid 3000gbp to uni A as a deposit and I can only request the refund up to 24th Aug, ARGH!

Original post by Masearcher
that really is bad luck.

Well I thought about it and I think if time is not an issue (in case of post grad studies) then I guess you should defer your application from your fav uni for next year and go then in the following year after waiting or getting the masters you just applied to visa for.

In waiting you will still lose your visa money plus time and in the other case spend twice as much maybe even more plus if courses are same then latter situation is not even viable.

Of course if you talk to the visa issuing authority maybe they can hammer something out for you. I on the other hand am talking about logical steps you can take if you really want to go to this uni.

Might I ask, when did you apply for visa and when are you expecting it?
Reply 18
I have exactly the same situation as the OP. The official answer from Manchester University is this:
" You can have multiple CAS records. You will, however, not be able to apply for more than one visa. Any un-used CAS document will simply expire after 3 months. "

So we are safe :biggrin:
Hi All. I am certain that many of you are quite far gone in your careers. Just picking up on this old thread. Are students able to hold multiple CAS numbers?I previously accepted a Masters offer as an international student and got CAS, however, I recently got another offer which I would like to take. Will it be possible to get another CAS number from the new university outcome?Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending