This discussion is closed.
Musicwoman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What do you think about this? My step father calls it 'The Law of Unintended Consequences'...

According to the paper today, approximately 12% of Oxbridge students and 25% of those applying to Bristol either take a gap year or defer entry.

Given that the proposal is to introduce tuition fees from 2006 (and for Oxbridge applicants, we know what THAT means!), is there any point reapplying if we missed it this year since so many fewer are unlikely to take a gap year to avoid paying top-up fees?

How much would this influence your decision to reapply next year, if you just missed out on a place this year?
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Musicwoman)
What do you think about this? My step father calls it 'The Law of Unintended Consequences'...

According to the paper today, approximately 12% of Oxbridge students and 25% of those applying to Bristol either take a gap year or defer entry.

Given that the proposal is to introduce tuition fees from 2006 (and for Oxbridge applicants, we know what THAT means!), is there any point reapplying if we missed it this year since so many fewer are unlikely to take a gap year to avoid paying top-up fees?

How much would this influence your decision to reapply next year, if you just missed out on a place this year?
Very good point. You assume though that the introduction of top up fees is a forgone conclusion. Basically, one needs to wait until a decision is made by parliament
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
Very good point. You assume though that the introduction of top up fees is a forgone conclusion. Basically, one needs to wait until a decision is made by parliament
Fair enough - but I can't see it not happening, can you?

I would seriously consider having another go for Cambridge next year but if entries are up by anything between 12 and 25% next year everywhere it might be better to cash in the chips now.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Fair enough - but I can't see it not happening, can you?

I would seriously consider having another go for Cambridge next year but if entries are up by anything between 12 and 25% next year everywhere it might be better to cash in the chips now.
I am in the same position as you. Basically, if you think you are definitely good enough, reapply. If not, don't risk it
What did your feedback letter say?
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
I am in the same position as you. Basically, if you think you are definitely good enough, reapply. If not, don't risk it
What did your feedback letter say?
I haven't had one yet. I'm still officially 'pooled' but rejection seems the most likely outcome now. Most other people seem either to have heard or received a 'no thanks'.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I haven't had one yet. I'm still officially 'pooled' but rejection seems the most likely outcome now. Most other people seem either to have heard or received a 'no thanks'.
They are usually very frank with their letters. If they think you are good(or bad) they will tell you
I actually applied to Oxford and was told that they would have given me a place had they the room
One of the downsides of the increase in applications!
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you think oxbridge likes two gap years?
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is this proposal accepted or it's simply proposed?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads