Do Irish hate English people? Watch

ak56
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I haven't had an awful lot to do with Irish in person, but on internet forums you can frequently find Irish bad-mouthing English, and refering to us as scum. There definately appears to be an animosity on some level.

Also, someone in my family married an Irishman and as far as I'm aware his family were not best pleased he was going to marry an English woman. And on the occasion I visited Ireland, I didn't notice much animosity towards the fact we were English, but then again, I was 14.

So in general, how are Irish towards English people?
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone hates the English
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not anymore
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A few simple words.
Everyone hates the English, including most of the English.
Weesy_Peesy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not as a rule,some do but most don't.
Mikimoto
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. Some do, but generally, no.
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
An interesting thing is that when abroad, English and Irish people tend to get along just fine. Compared even with other English-speaking nations such as the US, Australia, NZ, there is more in common between English and Irish - same kind of humour, similar culture and so on - than with many other nations. We are two countries with very close ties, like it or not.

Yes, there are still some hard feelings with some people, but in my experience it's a minority. And a dwindling minority at that. Things have moved on a long way.
SummerAnthems
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone hates the English. *****. /thread
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ak56)
I haven't had an awful lot to do with Irish in person, but on internet forums you can frequently find Irish bad-mouthing English, and refering to us as scum. There definately appears to be an animosity on some level.

Also, someone in my family married an Irishman and as far as I'm aware his family were not best pleased he was going to marry an English woman. And on the occasion I visited Ireland, I didn't notice much animosity towards the fact we were English, but then again, I was 14.

So in general, how are Irish towards English people?
This is Ireland, not Northern Ireland, your talking about?

The answer to your question may depend whether its Republic of ireland or Northern Ireland
TheLeprachaun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah I love the English. Especially your wimmins.
Oh-WOW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kinda rude to stereotype.
Yes there are English people I don't like. But then there are many who I do.
But I'm Northern Irish.
But still.
Not everyone hates them, not everyone likes them.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dissident Republicans hate the English, everyone else has different opinions for different English people. Frankly, since over a quarter of the British population has Irish ancestry to at least grandparent descent, and many more to a further ancestral link, it would be very weird if there was widespread hatred of the English since a huge minority of us have Irish blood as well.

England (indeed Britain) and Ireland are very, very close and have become increasingly so in recent years as there's more of a bilateral cultural exchange between the two countries. I think it's lovely that we get along so well, we certainly have the same self-deprecating sense of humour
the_educated1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone that isn't English is simply INFERIOR. The true term is "envy the English", and who can blame them? the English are a prosperous people.
steve78
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be fair, for most of history we have been complete b******* in regards to Ireland. Nevertheless, England is a very different place to how it was at the time of the Punch cartoons or even in the 1970s when "thick paddy" jokes were all the range and many Irish do not seem to realise this. I also find it a bit unfair that when hostility occurs it is directed at England exclusively when Scottish, Welsh and even French people (Normans, Huguenots) were also heavily involved in teh colonisation of the emerald isle
seb22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes we do
Luxor
Report 9 years ago
Well, they usually give us point on Eurovision (granted it's the UK, not just England).

But, quite a few Irish people are stuck in the past and can't move on.
juanmodesto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
This is Ireland, not Northern Ireland, your talking about?

The answer to your question may depend whether its Republic of ireland or Northern Ireland
No, even the Proddies in the North hate the English - although they're happy enough to live off the English taxpayer.

In general certain types of English - loud, arrogant, loutish ***** and/or snobby upper class ***** are hated. Some English accents also tend to rub people up the wrong way in Ireland.
-Neon-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by juanmodesto)
No, even the Proddies in the North hate the English - although they're happy enough to live off the English taxpayer.

In general certain types of English - loud, arrogant, loutish ***** and/or snobby upper class ***** are hated. Some English accents also tend to rub people up the wrong way in Ireland.
I agree with this.

Their hospitality could do with some improvement too. :p:
Aodhán
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not really. Most people in Ireland have moved on.
greatmonte
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheLeprachaun)
Nah I love the English. Especially your wimmins.
stay away you from our ladiezz filthy drunk!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.04%
They might tell the bully (27)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
16.3%
It might lead to more bullying (99)
36.67%
There's nothing they could do (81)
30%

Watched Threads