This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've been using it a lot lately its such a refreshing change from I.E and Microsoft crap. Does anybody use it and like it?

It seems to be a little bit quicker than I.E. I have a 512kbps connection, 2Ghz processor and 512MB RAM too. It just shows how badly I.E is written.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I've been using it a lot lately its such a refreshing change from I.E and Microsoft crap. Does anybody use it and like it?

It seems to be a little bit quicker than I.E. I have a 512kbps connection, 2Ghz processor and 512MB RAM too. It just shows how badly I.E is written.
Firebird is good, but I feel Opera still beats it easily. I am hooked on mouse gestures though, so I don't any browser will feel comfortable without them now!

Alaric.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)

i have used firebird for about a month, and I have to say i love it. Its quicker than straight mozilla and IE, has popup stopper (yes!), and seems to show all web pages perfectly.

So thats one piece of open-source software I like...
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Firebird is nice, been using since it was called Phoenix, so a few months now. It looks great with different skins too.

It is also more secure since it is not integrated into the OS (as IE is) and comes complete with a built in pop-up stopper!
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I use firebird - although it seems to take about 5 secs longer then IE to open. Probably all the addins I've installed :P

I would use opera (I really like it), if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't display CSS/CSS2 based pages correctly for some reason.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Soulfish)
I would use opera (I really like it), if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't display CSS/CSS2 based pages correctly for some reason.
What b0rks it? Is it all CSS pages or one element of CSS behaviour? Because it seems perfectly fine here - you haven't switched it out of user mode or something silly have you?

Opera is supposed to be largely standards compliant.

Alaric.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
What b0rks it? Is it all CSS pages or one element of CSS behaviour? Because it seems perfectly fine here - you haven't switched it out of user mode or something silly have you?

Opera is supposed to be largely standards compliant.

Alaric.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe its a few elements of CSS behaviour that opera renders incorrectly, causing the page to display incorrectly and just look plain wrong

I haven't tried it in a while though, so they may have fixed the issues.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
IE is appauling if you try any alternative browser, Opera is great, mozilla seems slower booting up for me, but i'm in the stone age
AT82
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
When I used to have a Pentium 100 laptop with 16MB RAM I had to use opera. I.E 4.0 took 10 minutes to load up on the damn thing!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just use mozilla - I assume its pretty similar to firebird. Some of the plugins like adblock and flash click to play are really useful.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (217)
68.03%
No (102)
31.97%

Watched Threads