The Student Room Group

IB Subjects for Lawyer/Doctor (URGENT!!)

I wanted to become a lawyer or a doctor in the future, but I am still deciding, so what IB subjects should I choose? I have the following in mind:

English A1 SL
Chinese A2 HL
Math SL (Do I need Math HL if I wanted to be a doctor? Or is SL good enough?)
History SL or Economics SL (Which subject benefits me if I end up doing law?)
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Please help everyone! I need to make up my mind in these 2 days!!:s-smilie:

Thank you so much!:smile:
Reply 1
Seeing as you can become a lawyer with science based subjects but cannot become a doctor without sciences, I suggest you hedge your bets and go along the science path.

Mind you that if you decide to become a lawyer you can get into uni with sciences, however you will need to put in some effort to acquire legal skills whilst at uni. This will be challenging but not impossible.

PS: History is the better bet for a prospective lawyer. Math SL is enough.

If you attend a good IB school and have competent science teachers, it will be much easier for you to achieve higher IB scores to satisfy the demanding IB requirements from Oxbridge universities (if you take the science path).
Isn't there a wiki for this?
m_lehcim

Some of the more prestigious universities prefer Math HL when it comes to law. However, when it is medicine i don't think it matters.
m_lehcim
I wanted to become a lawyer or a doctor in the future, but I am still deciding, so what IB subjects should I choose? I have the following in mind:

English A1 SL
Chinese A2 HL
History SL or Economics SL (Which subject benefits me if I end up doing law?)
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Please help everyone! I need to make up my mind in these 2 days!!:s-smilie:

Thank you so much!:smile:

Hm, why do you want to be a doctor/lawyer? these are two different paths :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by &#1500
Hm, why do you want to be a doctor/lawyer? these are two different paths :rolleyes:

Well I think it's fun being a lawyer, but being a doctor allows me to save people which I think will be a very rewarding job.:wink:
Reply 6
m_lehcim
Well I think it's fun being a lawyer, but being a doctor allows me to save people which I think will be a very rewarding job.:wink:

They're completely different jobs! It sounds like you've just decided you want a 'prestigious' career where you can earn lots of money. :rolleyes:

They're poles apart. It's like being undecided between being an astronaut or a car salesman. There must be one you prefer over the other.
m_lehcim

oh dear God. Please tell me you're not that ignorant.

Have you done any work experience?
m_lehcim

Being lawyer is fun? thank you. You just made my day :woo:

Leto
They're completely different jobs! It sounds like you've just decided you want a 'prestigious' career where you can earn lots of money. :rolleyes:

Well, I agree :p:
Reply 9
Leto

This.

Your only doing yourself disservice by not exploring other career paths :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by &#1500
Being lawyer is fun? thank you. You just made my day :woo:

Some people choose to become lawyers for fun, others for the money.

I am sure there are many who fall into the former category. :smile:
HL: Chemistry, Biology/Physics/Maths, History/English
SL: Chinese A2, Biology/Maths/Physics, History/English

Definitely have 2 sciences/math at HL & English or History (for law).
Reply 12
ragnar_jonsson
HL: Chemistry, Biology/Physics/Maths, History/English
SL: Chinese A2, Biology/Maths/Physics, History/English

Definitely have 2 sciences/math at HL & English or History (for law).

Thanks!:smile: So which option is better?

Option 1:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math SL
History HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Option 2:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math HL
History SL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL
m_lehcim

Option 1:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math SL
History HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Option 2:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math HL
History SL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Option 1. Although, it depends on what you want to do. You could switch Biology HL for History HL.
m_lehcim

Option 1:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math SL
History HL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Option 2:
English A1 SL
Chinese A2 SL
Math HL
History SL
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

Imo, second option is much better.
ragnar_jonsson
Option 1. Although, it depends on what you want to do. You could switch Biology HL for History HL.

But you need Biology HL to get into medicine.

Hm, so it depends on the university then...either way, I think Biology HL is a better choice if you want to study medicine :dontknow:
Reply 18
m_lehcim

Oh dear God. :rofl:
Original post by &#1500
Hm, so it depends on the university then...either way, I think Biology HL is a better choice if you want to study medicine :dontknow:

It does, but if somebody is stuck between two totally opposite degree choices, it's not like they can have an 'optimum' course choice for both of them.

Latest

Trending

Trending