Renaming UK-Learning.Net Watch

This discussion is closed.
d
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
In light of the fact that

a) some individuals have dishonestly taken control of domains and then attempted to profit from the popularity of UK-Learning.Net by passing their own site off as ours

(Explanation: Setting up an identical site, using identical software, an identical forum structure, which users might very easily confuse with the one that it was plagiarised/appropriated from is a dishonest, deceitful and disrespectful thing to do. We could sue them, we could ask them to stop it, but this would mean that we had to rely on their own good will, which clearly we can not, because, judging by their recent actions, they do not act in good faith.

b) the site is not really a "UK Learning Network" but more a student forum.

it might be a good idea to change the name and the domain name of the site.

We now control every major domain name tld with the prefix student-agora and studentagora.

What do people think about renaming the site to student-agora.com/student-agora.co.uk?

Perhaps another domain name?

ag·o·ra1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gr-)
n. pl. ag·o·rae (-r) or ag·o·ras
A place of congregation, especially an ancient Greek marketplace
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by d)

a) some individuals have dishonestly taken control of domains and then attempted to profit from the popularity of UK-Learning.Net by passing their own site off as ours

(Explanation: Setting up an identical site, using identical software, an identical forum structure, which users might very easily confuse with the one that it was plagiarised/appropriated from is a dishonest, deceitful and disrespectful thing to do. We could sue them, we could ask them to stop it, but this would mean that we had to rely on their own good will, which clearly we can not, because, judging by their recent actions, they do not act in good faith.

We now control every major domain name tld with the prefix student-agora and studentagora.

What do people think about renaming the site to student-agora.com/student-agora.co.uk?

Hi d,

I think that if you do decide to change the domain name it would have to be done with a lot of notice to ensure that some of the less frequent visitors to this forum get to know about it before the domain name is changed. In fact, I think it would be a good idea to put a re-driect on uk-learning.net to point to the domain name - this will ensure no one gets 'lost' Prehaps after a month or two, the re-direct could then be taken off.

Another point to consider is that you will loose all your rankings in the major search engines for a while.

As to what you should use as a new domain name, I think it needs to be something reasonably short, catchy and rememberable. I personally don't like 'student agora' - but prehaps that is only because I have no idea what 'agora' means lol. What about keeping to your orignal theme and having uk-students.co.uk? I am not very creative when it comes to these things so I will leave it to the other members to suggest something a little better! lol

Hope this feedback has helped,

NikNak!
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Hi d,

I think that if you do decide to change the domain name it would have to be done with a lot of notice to ensure that some of the less frequent visitors to this forum get to know about it before the domain name is changed. In fact, I think it would be a good idea to put a re-driect on uk-learning.net to point to the domain name - this will ensure no one gets 'lost' Prehaps after a month or two, the re-direct could then be taken off.

Another point to consider is that you will loose all your rankings in the major search engines for a while.

As to what you should use as a new domain name, I think it needs to be something reasonably short, catchy and rememberable. I personally don't like 'student agora' - but prehaps that is only because I have no idea what 'agora' means lol. What about keeping to your orignal theme and having uk-students.co.uk? I am not very creative when it comes to these things so I will leave it to the other members to suggest something a little better! lol

Hope this feedback has helped,

NikNak!
hey d,

firstly have you seen this?

http://www.uk-learning.net/t21922.html

i do like agora, i dont know what it means and i doubt many others do so it might be hard to remember for new members etc. I like ukstudent.com or something like that. i think also you should go for a top level domain name, and .co.uk can be brought for as little as 4.50 for 2 years. so maybe .com and .co.uk???

i think this site could potentially be huge!

secondly, katy removed my avatar and im without now because i cant change them. any chance you could change mine to this?

http://www.uk-learning.net/attachmen...tachmentid=393
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey,

I remember mentioning to Gemsy a while ago that "UK Learning" wasn't really a suitable name because it suggests a place where people come to talk about nothing but work, rather than the lively community it is, which means that if I say I go on "UK Learning" it makes me sound like a total geek.

"Student Agora"... that's an interesting one, I guess you've put time and money of your own into making sure we can have it. Personally, these websites that use Greek/Latin names piss me off because it's just them trying to look posh.

Also Ollie think, is it a good idea to get the site as "huge" as possible? We've already had problems with Busy messages so d had to upgrade the sever from his own money. Wouldn't huge numbers of new visitors make this worse?

And lol with the display pic, what the hell was the point of that lol.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by d)

http://www.studentforum.co.uk (or.com)

that would be way better m8.

the new name isnt very good, it sounds odd, and definitely not better than the current name.
Naresh
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
d,

Presumably you can get my email address, so let's get into a correspondence about the present situation.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Naresh
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Come on d, if you change the site's name, you're practically giving in to them. The best way to punch them is to ignore them and pretend they don't exist. Let them be the cheap, boring site they are. You're the one with the big ship.

Name changes are horrible. It takes away a strong identity a place once had - and people will always refer to it by its old name, whatever the new name is. And anyway, chances are, UK.c0m is run by TubGirl or Maskall or someone else who has a grudge against this site. Changing this site's name is only giving them what they want - attention and self-inflicted damage.

Give it a year or two, and when .com is still a ghost town, the owner might think about closing it down.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
Give it a year or two, and when .com is still a ghost town, the owner might think about closing it down.
Lol, Naresh (above) is the owner.

I guess a name change wouldn't do much good on second thoughts. It'll always be UKL to me now, and changing the name would be just giving in.

And as for you Naresh, it doesn't help to cause a problem by stealing a website's name and function and then expecting the owner of the site you're blatantly copying to help you.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Can I say that many people from this forum actually are entering * * * * * * * * , and becoming members. Some reaching moderator status.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Can I say that many people from this forum actually are entering * * * * * * * * , and becoming members. Some reaching moderator status.
They're becoming mods?

I know Bhaal85 is on there, and Eric (but as Martin Lewis).

Wow, Bhaal85 the mod... just shows how young and desperate the guy who's running the place is to not have a thorough mod selection procedure. And it shows how committed Bhaal85 is. I'd never leave and go there, I have friends here, but if people are motivated by hunger for power and the opportunity to be a top poster on a forum then so be it.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
They're becoming mods?

I know Bhaal85 is on there, and Eric (but as Martin Lewis).

Wow, Bhaal85 the mod... just shows how young and desperate the guy who's running the place is to not have a thorough mod selection procedure. And it shows how committed Bhaal85 is. I'd never leave and go there, I have friends here, but if people are motivated by hunger for power and the opportunity to be a top poster on a forum then so be it.
Wowwwwwwww. What is going on here then? Yes, I have been made mod over there, and dont much appreciate the comment you made. However, I still prefer this site, due to the members that are here.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Wowwwwwwww. What is going on here then? Yes, I have been made mod over there, and dont much appreciate the comment you made. However, I still prefer this site, due to the members that are here.
OK Sorry.

Great that you prefer this place.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
d, do you own Politics Agora too, then?
onearmedscissor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
d, do you own Politics Agora too, then?
Yes, and all the other Agoras too... they're all part of the same company.
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
and I suppose these letter-people run all of them

f on politics-agora.com>
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
and I suppose these letter-people run all of them

f on politics-agora.com>
There's only two embers of Politics Agora, f and me.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
d i don't like the agora thing.... i will always think of it as ukl and i don't really see the need for a name change..... i think if you notice a drop in the amount of traffic on ukl (or maybe a slow down in growth?) as a result of this nasty rip-off, then you should do somethin- but at the moment that site seems pretty rubbishy + not really competition.

what does agora mean?

how about
www.louisaisagoddess.com?

lou xxx
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
d i don't like the agora thing.... i will always think of it as ukl and i don't really see the need for a name change..... i think if you notice a drop in the amount of traffic on ukl (or maybe a slow down in growth?) as a result of this nasty rip-off, then you should do somethin- but at the moment that site seems pretty rubbishy + not really competition.

what does agora mean?

how about

lou xxx
ag·o·ra1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gr-)
n. pl. ag·o·rae (-r) or ag·o·ras
A place of congregation, especially an ancient Greek marketplace
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)

what does agora mean?

how about

lou xxx
Lol lou!

I don't think the name should be changed - this joker naresh sounds like a bit of a stirrer and a trouble maker. The best thing to do would be to ignore him and for no other .net members to give hhim the pleasure of us joining.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Two words: orginal and best (ok three...)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (269)
80.06%
Leave (67)
19.94%

Watched Threads