Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Is Cripps really that ugly? I have heard that it was critically acclaimed, architecturally speaking.
    its v ugly. i can see it from my building

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Yeah... sainsbury's always seem to have penguins or jaffa cakes on offer. I'm sure they're trying to make the population of Cambridge obese.
    Well, my friends and I have been observing recently that there are almost no fat people in Cambridge, and a rather high proportion of skinny people. So maybe it's not so bad. I have resisted the Jaffa cakes so far though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there are spectacularly few fat people, wonder why that is? As for cripps its nice inside - the best place to be in my view as inside is the only place you can go where you don't have to look at the outside!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, my friends and I have been observing recently that there are almost no fat people in Cambridge, and a rather high proportion of skinny people. So maybe it's not so bad. I have resisted the Jaffa cakes so far though!
    what's wrong with fat people? If i get the grades then I should change the results of your observations.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    what's wrong with fat people? If i get the grades then I should change the results of your observations.

Musicboy
    I think she's saying penguins etc. don't make you fat and are therefore 'not that bad' (for you), as opposed to fat people being bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiserSoze)
    I think she's saying penguins etc. don't make you fat and are therefore 'not that bad' (for you), as opposed to fat people being bad!
    Yep, I was pointing out that even if Sainsbury's do have some evil plot to fatten us all up by feeding us bargain Jaffa cakes, it's not working yet. There's nothing "wrong" with fat people, I was just observing that there aren't many here, or at least among the people I know (i.e. Clare and the medics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    its v ugly. i can see it from my building
    I have heard it said that of the old colleges in Cambridge, St. John's is one of the ones with the least architectural merit (apart from the Bridge of Sighs). True?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard it said that of the old colleges in Cambridge, St. John's is one of the ones with the least architectural merit (apart from the Bridge of Sighs). True?
    i don't know, some of it looks quite impressive, especially from the cam, but Cripps is disgusting

ReputationRep:
    Oh no no no, (cripps excluded from all following comments), New Court is very impressive from the backs, classic gothic architecture, as is the chapel (the tallest building in cambridge), while the main gatehouse tower adorns many a postcard. Also St.John's is the only college not to have its old courts 'classicified' in sandstone (ala clare, kings, trinity great court etc.) so all the original (very high quality - 500 years old) red brick work is still intact, giving it a fairly unique atmosphere. And of course the bridge of sighs, which you mentioned.

Lol, sound like i'm trying to sell it, but it is very impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    8 muffins for 99p was another one...I took advantage of it!

Ben
    I got the same deal but it was on doughnuts.

ReputationRep:
    The Bridge of Sighs? They haven't been stealing major tourist attractions from Venice again have they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    The Bridge of Sighs? They haven't been stealing major tourist attractions from Venice again have they?

Yeah, you can't trust those John's students. They'll nick anything.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to one of my friends the other day and was talking about Johns and the bridge. It turns out that he didn't know why it was called the bridge of sighs and not only didn't know why the bridge of sighs is called the bridge of sighs but didn't know it was in Venezia. In fact he thought Johns' was the original bridge of sighs.

I despair sometimes. I mean supposedly clever intelligent undergrads :rolleyes:. In fairness he is usually dippy, so at least he's consistent.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    I was talking to one of my friends the other day and was talking about Johns and the bridge. It turns out that he didn't know why it was called the bridge of sighs and not only didn't know why the bridge of sighs is called the bridge of sighs but didn't know it was in Venezia. In fact he thought Johns' was the original bridge of sighs.

I despair sometimes. I mean supposedly clever intelligent undergrads :rolleyes:. In fairness he is usually dippy, so at least he's consistent.

Alaric.

Clever doesn't necessarily mean aware...

ReputationRep:

Alaric.
    I only know because I was there last weekend. ( Seriously ).

Um... but... yes... so... does it look like the real bridger of sighs? All white, covered and two pathed or is it where undergraduates cross the river in chains as part of an entry ritual to join the monty python society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Clever doesn't necessarily mean aware...
    Indeed, he seems to be good at Physics
    He just seems to wander around in his own little world...

ReputationRep:
    I only know because I was there last weekend. ( Seriously ).

Um... but... yes... so... does it look like the real bridger of sighs? All white, covered and two pathed or is it where undergraduates cross the river in chains as part of an entry ritual to join the monty python society?
    Bridge of Sighs in Venice: http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd3610/v...ge-of-sighs-84
    Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge: http://www.darknessandlight.co.uk/ca...bridge-235.JPG

Similar, they're both covered at least. I didn't go into the Doge's palace when I was last there (8 years or so ago now I guess) and so I haven't been through it. Though I didn't think it was two pathed, are you thinking of the Rialto, though iirc it had three paths.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Bridge of Sighs in Venice: http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd3610/v...ge-of-sighs-84
    Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge: http://www.darknessandlight.co.uk/ca...bridge-235.JPG

Similar, they're both covered at least. I didn't go into the Doge's palace when I was last there (8 years or so ago now I guess) and so I haven't been through it. Though I didn't think it was two pathed, are you thinking of the Rialto, though iirc it had three paths.

Alaric.
    No the inside of the bridge of sighs is split into two. I think one was for the prisoners and one for the guards but my Italian is strictly limited and the English translation was questionable. For the record it said "modern prisoners use the right hand side" which... confused me.

The Rialto ( not fully covered - not quite up to the standard of the Ponte Vecchio ) has one main avenue down the centre but you could - if you wanted two - bypass it on either side as there are stairs. I guess on a diagram it would look something like one big rectangle containing four similar rectangles.

The Doge's palace was quite interesting but most of the appeal for me was the armoury ( they have some fantastic turkish rifles ). The 'modern prison' ( over the bridge ) was quite spectacularly dull being as it was merely a collection of very small, cold stone cells. You didn't miss much there.

ReputationRep:
    No the inside of the bridge of sighs is split into two. I think one was for the prisoners and one for the guards but my Italian is strictly limited and the English translation was questionable. For the record it said "modern prisoners use the right hand side" which... confused me.
    Alright, cool, you learn something new every day! It's slightly odd that they deemed it necessary to split in two, maybe the implication is that the modern way has it to enforce a one way system? Or maybe tourists go down one side and prisoners the other - don't get it wrong on the tour!

The Rialto ( not fully covered - not quite up to the standard of the Ponte Vecchio ) has one main avenue down the centre but you could - if you wanted two - bypass it on either side as there are stairs. I guess on a diagram it would look something like one big rectangle containing four similar rectangles.
    Indeed, the shops are the only bits I really recall being covered... except maybe it had arches at the centre too. Long long time ago now, think I'll have to graduate and earn a bit before I can afford to go back. I can't even recall if the centre aisle was covered or not, I think I went up the sides because the shops didn't look interesting. It was far too touristy around there and we kept to art galleries and some of the smaller attractions mostly.

A.

ReputationRep:
    interesting fact about the bridge of sighs. the side facing trinity, kings etc is nicely decorated whilst the side facing magdalene is plain. Its because they wanted to impress trin, kings etc but don't give a toss about us.

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.