The Student Room Group

Costs of Living - Imperial College

Hi guys,

I have a friend who would be coming to Imperial from Jan to May for research. She would have to go for private accomodation.

How much do you think its going to cost per week?
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/livinginlondon/costofliving

I found this data from IC's website:

Below is a weekly budget guide for a student living in University halls of residence:

* Accommodation - £90-£150
* Entertainment - £50
* Food and Toiletries - £50
* Travel - £15
* Other - £15

Do you think the whole ordeal will set her back around 7-8k pounds?
It costs over £9000.
Reply 2
Bump. Anyone else?
I'd say £9 - 10,000 is more realistic. London isn't the cheapest city in the world and even the smallest things can add up.
well I managed to blow all my research council phd studentship and rack up £10k debt in my final writing up year. So I would say £10k minimum
How much can you expect to pay for a full year for all costs excluding tuition?
It depends how willing your friend is to live frugally, or whether she expects a certain standard of living and London 'experience'.

You could do it for £200/wk without the unnecessary entertainment, and doing other things for free (museums, sights, galleries etc), making your own lunches, going out to cafes not bars.

That would mean the 5 inclusive months she is here could be done for less than £5000. Any money she has beyond that she could budget for her 'entertainment', rather than just wasting it on spontaneous going out, which always racks up more cost than intended.
Reply 7
Accommodation is biggie when it comes to the cost of living in London. That is the huge difference. Other costs - food, drinks, transport etc. there's not too much difference. If she can find private accomodation that is within 20 mins of uni for less than £150, she would be doing very well.