I've just got myself a job but its all a bit strange. Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I sent an email to company the other day, they replied it and it all seemed a bit too positive. I sent them my CV last night, this morning I get an email saying they think I will fit in very well within the company and can I please confirm when I start.

It dosn't really make any sense as the comapny haven't even see me or anything. I am guessing it will probably turn out to be unpaid work experience. I need to ask them but will it put them off?

I am not sure what to do.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What did you say in your Email? Did you hint anything about work experience or un-paid work? If it bothers you about the money, ask them straight out, it's the only way to find out.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Agreed either ask them straight out or ask them to send you a sample contract (which should list all your terms of employment) to look over.

(out of interest which company is it?)
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Agreed either ask them straight out or ask them to send you a sample contract (which should list all your terms of employment) to look over.

(out of interest which company is it?)
I am not bothered about the payment but obvously I can't work for a year without being paid, but I guess I could do it for a month or somthing. That way I have a little work experience and still finish my degree in 2005. Its a smallish software development company in Hyde. I would imagine it has less than 50 employees.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I haven't even got my contract yet, and i've been working there for over 13 weeks. Is the money an issue to you? (i guess as a university student it may be)
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just ask them something like "what is your wage rate"? or something a little more subtle so you don't seem obsessed with the money. Email them back and ask them, it's easier than doing it over the phone.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have not done you an interview nor a test?
A little strange I guess.

I also sent a mail to get my actual job (C\C++ Programmer) but first I did an interview and a little application test.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I am not bothered about the payment but obvously I can't work for a year without being paid, but I guess I could do it for a month or somthing. That way I have a little work experience and still finish my degree in 2005. Its a smallish software development company in Hyde. I would imagine it has less than 50 employees.
Out of interest, is that Hyde in Tameside, Greater Manchester?
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frances)
Out of interest, is that Hyde in Tameside, Greater Manchester?
Yep Hyde as in Shipman Hyde. Glad to see you got the country right. Its amazing how many people like to call it Cheshire when its not.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep Hyde as in Shipman Hyde. Glad to see you got the country right. Its amazing how many people like to call it Cheshire when its not.
I ought to get it right... I live there.
maljosh
Report 16 years ago
you must have sent them a very good cv/email... may be they lack workers that's why they accepted you straightaway...
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just email them and ask them to send you some details about the job available and say that you are provisionally available from a certain date.

It might be that they think you will fit in but need to know when you can start before they can finalise the details of where you will fit within the company.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I sent an email to company the other day, they replied it and it all seemed a bit too positive. I sent them my CV last night, this morning I get an email saying they think I will fit in very well within the company and can I please confirm when I start.

It dosn't really make any sense as the comapny haven't even see me or anything. I am guessing it will probably turn out to be unpaid work experience. I need to ask them but will it put them off?

I am not sure what to do.
Yay well done, you star! What's the job? (i'm too lazy to read the thread)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads