The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies: Powers of the President Essay?

So it's the second last day of the summer holidays, and my modern studies teacher gave us an essay to do over the holidays. (? ¬_¬) And as you can guess, my brain isn't working. Most likely hibernating till Wednesday when we go back.

Anyhow, I just want some points or things to put into my essay, and also would like some help/pointers on how to structure the essay.

"To what extent can congress and the supreme court limit the powers of the President?"

Like I said, I'm not back into my study-mode seen as it's still the holidays, and I really want to both start and finish the essay today within a couple of hours because A) I need to finish painting my room tonight, and B) I want to be able to relax tommorow on the last day.

So I'm just looking for some tips on the structure and points I can include to speed up the process. Thanks, in advance. =]
Reply 1
If you've still not done it and nobody has helped you after have my dinner I'll get out my folder and try give you a helping hand. Although we hardly did this essay cause it was asked not long ago :smile:
Reply 2
Sorry I forgot I said I'd point some things out for this.
Basically you would give a short introduction saying how the president does have powers although there are limitations.
Go on to discuss some of the powers the president does have including:

Chief Executive

Commander in Chief of Armed Forces

Power of appoitment - appointing supreme court judges, etc, give an example if you decide to put this in

Executive orders - I would defo talk about these, discuss what they are, give an example of one of Obama's or even one of Bush's as he had a few very important ones

They can veto an act of congress - I would also defo discuss this. Talk about pocket vetos (Obama has used one on the temporary spending bill incase a Winter storm prevented them from meeting to approve final measures to fund the Pentagon)

Then you can go onto discuss the limitations and may include..

Congress has the power to pass constitutional ammendments if they have a 2/3 majority

a 2/3 majority in each house overrides vetos (except pocket vetos)

the system of elections is quite important as no one can have too much power the way it works

President can't introduce a bill, someone from the congress has too

Then a brief conclusion summing it up.

You don't have to do it in that structure although that's the way I would do it, and you don't need to mention all the points I've used, just make sure you analyse how the supreme court and congress can limitate the powers.
Reply 3
Ecosse_14
Sorry I forgot I said I'd point some things out for this.
Basically you would give a short introduction saying how the president does have powers although there are limitations.
Go on to discuss some of the powers the president does have including:

Chief Executive

Commander in Chief of Armed Forces

Power of appoitment - appointing supreme court judges, etc, give an example if you decide to put this in

Executive orders - I would defo talk about these, discuss what they are, give an example of one of Obama's or even one of Bush's as he had a few very important ones

They can veto an act of congress - I would also defo discuss this. Talk about pocket vetos (Obama has used one on the temporary spending bill incase a Winter storm prevented them from meeting to approve final measures to fund the Pentagon)

Then you can go onto discuss the limitations and may include..

Congress has the power to pass constitutional ammendments if they have a 2/3 majority

a 2/3 majority in each house overrides vetos (except pocket vetos)

the system of elections is quite important as no one can have too much power the way it works

President can't introduce a bill, someone from the congress has too

Then a brief conclusion summing it up.

You don't have to do it in that structure although that's the way I would do it, and you don't need to mention all the points I've used, just make sure you analyse how the supreme court and congress can limitate the powers.

Thanks for all your help. I used some of your advice, and got 13/15 for my essay giving me an A which I'm really pleased with. =D
Reply 4
McWolf
Thanks for all your help. I used some of your advice, and got 13/15 for my essay giving me an A which I'm really pleased with. =D

That's awesome to get such high marks this early on, well done! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending