GCSE Music composition help Watch

tennantgirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
So basically I was just wondering if someone could help me with what needs to be included in the composition, and what you get marks for.

Im predicted an A* and so I would like to ideally get full marks in my composition, but the only problem is our teacher is not very good (and so we're not getting very good marks). So if anyone could advise me on how to start composing it, eg what scale should it be in and stuff...

I would REALLY appreciate it, thank you so much

waynethomas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
when I did my GCSE composition I had no knowledge of theory whatsoever, I wanted to write a minimalist piece so I came up with like a 4 bar phrase and based my whole piece around it using all the minimalist techniques there were. When my teacher marked it she said I was one mark off full mark! I would say be very specific with articulation, phrasing and dynamics Hope I have been helpful
tennantgirl
Rep:
?
Thank you This may sound stupid, but we literally have learnt nothing all year but whats minimalist? What techniques are associated with it?

Thank you
waynethomas
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
stuff like lots of repetition, addative and subtractive melodies, phase shifting, I went for a simple chord sequence and developed it. I would advise listening to Phillip Glass, he is one of the most prominent current minimalist composers.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What sort of composition are you expected to do - are there any limitations?
ourlastmemory
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What exam board are you doing?
tennantgirl
Rep:
?
Its the AQA exam board if that helps. Nope as far as I know there are no limitations, just have to get as many marks aas possibles following the mark scheme, but I have no idea what that is
Thanks
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First of all, decide what instruments you want to write for, and what form the piece will be in. Is it for a solo instrument with piano? Rondo form? What sort of mood do you want to convey? You might start with the mood, so for example, if you want a lovely flowing gentle mood, writing for the flute with a rippling piano accompaniment might be a good idea. Or if you want a loud jazzy type of piece, clarinet or sax. You get the idea. Start with an overview of what you want in general, before you work out the specifics of keys. Incidentally, the examiner will be more impressed if you modulate into another key during your piece. Modulating to the dominant, or the relative major/minor, are the most common key changes. Modulations might be a good way of conveying a change of mood, along with instrumentation and articulation.
funkabubble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks soo much for that last comment - planning for my compositional piece 1 and had no idea - everything you said has given me LOADS of inspiration!!!!!!! thank you!! XD
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by funkabubble)
thanks soo much for that last comment - planning for my compositional piece 1 and had no idea - everything you said has given me LOADS of inspiration!!!!!!! thank you!! XD
Glad to have been of help
ApresAlkan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want high marks, I'd put it into a real structure; sonata-allegro or rondeau, and then work in interesting developments and harmony. I personally always write for piano solo or piano with small ensemble, because I play the piano and so know all of its limitations.
My GCSE Unit 4 composition was a rondo without melodic development and crude modulations, and I received an 'A' for it, so for my Unit 2 I've done a lot more, and I shall be playing in the recording myself.

If you want me to give you a brief introduction to anything mentioned above (particularly writing in sonata-allegro form--guarentees a high mark) then PM me. Otherwise feel free to go along with minimalism.
soniag16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just started with a melody
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (133)
48.01%
No (37)
13.36%
I'm not old enough (107)
38.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed