Implications of the possibility of time travel. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Video recording capture images that have happened in some moment.
Yes. And then that moment can be 'reseen'. Therefore, that moment is repeated.
And this contridicts your statement

...actions that have happened in one moment and cannot be seen again...
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, indeed Mussolini or Franco did it.
I take your point but what i meant to get across was that another man within Germany could have taken the mantle and committed such attrocities because Germany was a very horrible place in the 20s and 30s especially after the Treaty of Versailles which was so humiliating - led to scape-goating
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Yes. And then that moment can be 'reseen'. Therefore, that moment is repeated.
And this contridicts your statement
No, you are wrong, the moment isn't not the same, someone is looking at it in a vcr recorder the moment isn't not the same.
You can't bath yourself in the same river twice.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
I take your point but what i meant to get across was that another man within Germany could have taken the mantle and committed such attrocities because Germany was a very horrible place in the 20s and 30s especially after the Treaty of Versailles which was so humiliating - led to scape-goating
Yes, probably, Hitler wasn't a genius, anyone else could have taken his place.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
No, you are wrong, the moment isn't not the same, someone is looking at it in a vcr recorder the moment isn't not the same.
You can't bath yourself in the same river twice.
Isn't not the same?
Thats the same as saying it is the same (double negative).

And yes, if you were so enclined, you could bath in the same river twice.
Try it!
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The main implication should be the destruction of the 'history' as we know it.
Also the 'time' as the concept that the human race had developed will be destroyed and a new concept will born.

Anyway time travel is impossible.

I reckon it's perfectly possible. Certainly to go into the future is possible - we already are and I doubt it would be difficult to speed up the process. We can also slow time down (heard about the two atomic clocks, one of which flew round the earth and ended up showing a different time?). I don't think it's possible for us to go back into our history but once a time machine is built - and they're already building them I think, didn't some guy build a machine to send a very small particle through time or something? - it should be possible to travel back to the time at which the machine was completed.

Anyone see Horizon not that long ago?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Isn't not the same?
Thats the same as saying it is the same (double negative).

And yes, if you were so enclined, you could bath in the same river twice.
Try it!
Isn't the same, excuse me, I'm not English or 'american'.

You can't take a bath in the same river, Heraclitus have said it, not me.
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I recently read a very intriguing book about the paradoxes of time travel, "How to Build a Time Machine" by Paul Davies. It's a small book and an easy read, even for the non-physicist. I keep meaning to read "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" by Richard Gott, which goes a little deeper into relativistic concepts.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Isn't the same, excuse me, I'm not English or 'american'.

You can't take a bath in the same river, Heraclitus have said it, not me.
Oh okay. I was just making sure that i knew that what i thought you said was what you said, rather than what i read you said.

Well, Heraclitus is wrong then. Its easy to do.
Shay
Report 15 years ago
Actual time travel seems unlikely, unless some form of massive and unlimited power was developed.

However, with the use of computers, we may be able to simulate the past. If computers continue to advance at the rate they currently are, they will be so powerful, that some sort of future supernation will be able to simulate the past exactly.

...I would love to lecture you all, but I have an exam in an hour...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
I reckon it's perfectly possible. Certainly to go into the future is possible - we already are and I doubt it would be difficult to speed up the process. We can also slow time down (heard about the two atomic clocks, one of which flew round the earth and ended up showing a different time?). I don't think it's possible for us to go back into our history but once a time machine is built - and they're already building them I think, didn't some guy build a machine to send a very small particle through time or something? - it should be possible to travel back to the time at which the machine was completed.

Anyone see Horizon not that long ago?
Time travel is possibe because physicists (I speak from a gap yr law degree applying point of view so dont expect too much) believe that time is not linear but parallel - therefore there are a number of dimensions within our universe all a few milliseconds apart (0r even smaller gaps than that) and if we could somehow access those we could have time travel. I think we are living in the past of another world's future
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh okay. I was just making sure that i knew that what i thought you said was what you said, rather than what i read you said.

Well, Heraclitus is wrong then. Its easy to do.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

You cannot step twice into the same river; for other waters are continually flowing in.

These are a couple Heraclitus quotes that I've found in English.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

You cannot step twice into the same river; for other waters are continually flowing in.

These are a couple Heraclitus quotes that I've found in English.
It is the same river. A river is not defined by what it contains. It is defined by its location, and therefore, going twice in the same location is the same river.

And a person may change. They may grow older, have more life experience, but they are always the same shell that we define man as.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It is the same river. A river is not defined by what it contains. It is defined by its location, and therefore, going twice in the same location is the same river.

And a person may change. They may grow older, have more life experience, but they are always the same shell that we define man as.
I'm not gonna discuss it, I agree with Heraclitus.
The river is defined by what it is and how it is, it's water and in one moment is 'a' water and then another one.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Time dilation isn't an issue, relativity obeys causality. I suspect you're also thinking of teleportation rather than time travel with the particle, the problems are not really the same.

According to current relativity theory (which is fairly well established now) you'd have to travel in excess of the speed of light to time travel. This tends to have the implication that you have an infinite energy or a complex or zero mass, neither of which are going to happen.
The only serious way of faster than light effects is in quantum entanglement, though I believe the current belief is that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle makes proper faster than light communication (which would violate causality) impossible.

I'll say the same thing I say to my physicist friends; "If you do invent time travel I won't be very happy because of the catastrophe you'll be causing causality. So don't bother".

Alaric.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
I'm not gonna discuss it, I agree with Heraclitus.
The river is defined by what it is and how it is, it's water and in one moment is 'a' water and then another one.
You brought it up, so why don't you want to discuss it?
The point is that a river and a man, although they may change, are still ultimately the same.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I am afraid i will have to disagree with you my learned friend - humans either psychologically, physically, or spiritually are ever changing and how we are now are as a result of choices we have made or that have been made for us. therefore we cannot be the same people over time other than in our society which recognises our physical shell.
As for rivers - rivers right down to microcosms of life are ever-changing from one moment to the next and again the river has changed in content and location (soil erosion) therefore Heraticus quotes are plausible
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If a river has no water in it, is it still a river? Or does it just become a canyon or something such as that?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You brought it up, so why don't you want to discuss it?
The point is that a river and a man, although they may change, are still ultimately the same.
Because it's pointless, centuries have proven right Heraclitus.
If something changes isn't the same anymore.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Time dilation isn't an issue, relativity obeys causality. I suspect you're also thinking of teleportation rather than time travel with the particle, the problems are not really the same.

According to current relativity theory (which is fairly well established now) you'd have to travel in excess of the speed of light to time travel. This tends to have the implication that you have an infinite energy or a complex or zero mass, neither of which are going to happen.
The only serious way of faster than light effects is in quantum entanglement, though I believe the current belief is that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle makes proper faster than light communication (which would violate causality) impossible.

I'll say the same thing I say to my physicist friends; "If you do invent time travel I won't be very happy because of the catastrophe you'll be causing causality. So don't bother".

Alaric.
Ur argument sounds plausible but the theories you state are quite beyond my understanding due to lack of exposure most certainly
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (661)
80.61%
Leave (159)
19.39%

Watched Threads