The Student Room Group

Oxford Biochemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vanesavu
Yea, I know :smile: ! I was just hoping that it might boost up my confidence a little bit, knowing that I´m on the same level as some of the other applicants. Are you reading biochem at Oxford? Can I please just ask you whether the interviews involved mainly academic questions or critical thinking?

I am also worried because I dont have any relevant work experiences, do you think that will be an issue? Apparently, it is easy for students to get useful work experiences in the UK.

In my year of interview everyone was first asked a nice pre-set question ('Why do you want to study Biochemistry?') to help them relax and get into the flow of things. After that all the questions were academic questions on chemistry and biology. Some of the questions were from A-level content and some were based on new material to see how you approach novel problems. The tutors will probably have questions and topics prepared, but the interview itself is quite fluid and can lead in different directions based on how candidates respond or things they've mentioned in their application. :smile:

RE work experience: Its obivously a bonus if you have some but by no means a major negative if you dont. The interview is where its at :wink: .
Reply 81
Original post by LearningMath
In my year of interview everyone was first asked a nice pre-set question ('Why do you want to study Biochemistry?') to help them relax and get into the flow of things. After that all the questions were academic questions on chemistry and biology. Some of the questions were from A-level content and some were based on new material to see how you approach novel problems. The tutors will probably have questions and topics prepared, but the interview itself is quite fluid and can lead in different directions based on how candidates respond or things they've mentioned in their application. :smile:

RE work experience: Its obivously a bonus if you have some but by no means a major negative if you dont. The interview is where its at :wink: .

Thank you! This helped a lot.
Reply 82
Still trying to figure out what are the questions that are likely to be asked. it seems there's very few past questions posted online :frown:
Reply 83
Original post by xiangk
Still trying to figure out what are the questions that are likely to be asked. it seems there's very few past questions posted online :frown:

I hope I will be invited to an interview O.O.
I'm applying to do biochemistry and got an email including this

There is an on-line form to enable Human Science applicants to submit a statement of c.100 words regarding why you wish to study Human Sciences separate from your UCAS form, this should be sent to

[email protected] by 10 November. You access the form via http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/colleges/hs_statement.html

also on their site is a ting that says:You do not need to take a written test or submit any written work when you apply for Human Sciences. If you wish, you may submit a statement of around 100 words about why you would like to study Human Sciences by 10 November. You should paste your statement into the on-line form at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/colleges/hs_statement.html

which makes it sound optional.

Has anyone else done this, what did you include roughly? I'm confused because I know there's a seperate subject called human sciences so not sure if they mean it as a general term several subjects... thanks
Reply 85
It sounds like applicants for Human Sciences are allowed to give an additional statement, probably because they won't have applied for Human Sciences at any/very many other universities (due to the course not existing!), and so their personal statement might be geared towards something else. So I wouldn't worry about it!
so confused, it sounds optional so dont even know if im meant to do it, and not sure what to write, 100 words isn't really anything and i wouldnt know what to say without repeating what's already in my peronal statement

:frown: eurghhh.

thankyou :')
Reply 87
Original post by carysdavies94
so confused, it sounds optional so dont even know if im meant to do it, and not sure what to write, 100 words isn't really anything and i wouldnt know what to say without repeating what's already in my peronal statement

:frown: eurghhh.

thankyou :')

Im applying for Biochem as well, but I havent received any such email. So i guess (and hope) that its optional. O.O
i've worked it out now, there's an actual subject called human science, only they have to do it :') feel a bit silly now haha, slightly worrying if im applying to oxford and cant even interpret an e-mail properly haha
Reply 89
Original post by carysdavies94
i've worked it out now, there's an actual subject called human science, only they have to do it :') feel a bit silly now haha, slightly worrying if im applying to oxford and cant even interpret an e-mail properly haha

Oh and btw, which college are you applying to? :smile:
Reply 90
Wadham applicant here :smile: sooooo nervous about interview (if i get one)!
Reply 91
Original post by CeeTay
Wadham applicant here :smile: sooooo nervous about interview (if i get one)!

The same. I´m applying to St Edmund Hall though. =//
Oh and btw, which college are you applying to? :smile:

hertford :smile: so nervous about interviews if i get one :s-smilie: it'll be nice in like 2 months time when it'll all be done
Hi! I'm applying to Worcester for Biochem! very nervous with regard to interviews/getting one at all! what predicted grades do most have for this course? :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by TSRuser1234
Hi! I'm applying to Worcester for Biochem! very nervous with regard to interviews/getting one at all! what predicted grades do most have for this course? :smile:

Ive seen the profiles of many applicants (I dont stalk them, they post it in the threads I follow:colondollar:) and its usually at least 1 A*, some have 3 of them. What are your predicted? Were you invited to an interview?

I was invited to an interview at St Edmund, and I am literally freaking out because the questions they give are very hard.
Got my Oriel/St. John's interview! Pretty psyched!
Reply 96
Got an interview at St Annes! Is anyone else on here applying for Biochem there?
Ive seen the profiles of many applicants (I dont stalk them, they post it in the threads I follow:colondollar:) and its usually at least 1 A*, some have 3 of them. What are your predicted? Were you invited to an interview?

I was invited to an interview at St Edmund, and I am literally freaking out because the questions they give are very hard.

I haven't heard back at all apart from a confirmation! predicted A*A*A :smile:
I'm so worried that they haven't got back to me yet!
Reply 98

Hi! Omg I'm so glad I've read this :smile: I'm applying to Worcester (weirdly with the same predicted grades as you lol) and haven't heard and everyone is getting emails and I'm freaaaaaaaaaaaaking out. So yeah. I'm glad someone else feels my pain! (and that Worcester are genuinely being slow, it's not just me). Let me know when you hear back :smile:
Reply 99

Oh, what subjects are you taking? Thats impressive. Im so jealous of you A-level people, I have to do 6 subjects at IB :s-smilie: + :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending