This discussion is closed.
kingy1
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Just wondering.. Is portsmouth really that bad? iv just found out that iv got in so starting in september (doing illustration) but loads of people have told me how bad portsmouth is, both the uni and the city itself. iv heard its full of chavs, concrety and the uni is just generally not very good. im considering still going but then seeing if i can transfer to a different uni. how bad is portsmouth and how easy is it to transfer????
Teveth
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Portsmouth is a lovely city. I don't know anything about the university. As for transferring, I have little idea. I suppose if you were to get above 70% (on for a First) you could contact universities directly to try to sell yourself, but this isn't an informed opinion, just something I imagine to be the case.

You might find that you enjoy the university and don't want to transfer.
MewMachine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Portsmouth isn't that bad a city and that comes from someone who's lived there all my life. Don't always listen to other people's opinions.
Mr_PIGGY10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kingy1)
Just wondering.. Is portsmouth really that bad? iv just found out that iv got in so starting in september (doing illustration) but loads of people have told me how bad portsmouth is, both the uni and the city itself. iv heard its full of chavs, concrety and the uni is just generally not very good. im considering still going but then seeing if i can transfer to a different uni. how bad is portsmouth and how easy is it to transfer????
That university is crap!
psychocustard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hated it, personally
Samz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Places are what you make of them, I love Portsmouth.
RouletteDares
Report 11 years ago
Don't worry, I got into Portsmouth through clearing and I was worried coming from London that it'd be nothing compared to my home. The seafront is always a nice place to go with friends - there's a fun fair there and a lake with pedal boats and stuff. Albert Road is full of quirky shops, like vintage clothing, record shops and cool bars and pubs and the Wedgewood rooms music venue (definitely make sure you head down that way). There's an awesome diner ( http://www.bigerniesdiner.com/ ) on Elm grove which does good food and is fun, it's a bit pricey though! Gunwharf Quays is a lovely shopping complex with a bowling alley (unlimited bowling for students on monday) and cinema. Cascades shopping centre and commercial road is good for shopping. There is a lot to do and a lot of nice places to go so please don't worry! There are all sorts of students there, not only chavs!
Jensonb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't speak to the comments you've heard about the Uni itself yet (Though from what I saw the times I've been there, it's pretty darn good) - and with things like that, Your Mileage May Vary. But I can dis-spell any idea that the city is unpleasant. It's one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. I went there for the first time a few years ago and fell in love with it. It's great.
skribla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's rubbish mate. And we're all inbred. I'm not even from there but living there for 3years made me really inbred. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't bring your inbred self down there. You'll only make the place worse.
Best Superlative
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
I hated it, personally
Just out of interest, what did you hate about it exactly? Was it the course, the people, the city, the accommodation? Hopefully not all of the aforementioned.
jim lad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't voice an opinion on the university because I've never attended it but I've lived in Portsmouth for 18 years. Like any city it has crap bits with is fair share of special brew drinking shell suit wearers but also it has lots of good bits. The common is a nice large green space, Albert road is a trendy area with independent shops and Gunwarf has bowling, cinema and factory outlets for clothes. The university is in a relatively good location so generally you wont be in the really nasty areas.
psychocustard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Best Superlative)
Just out of interest, what did you hate about it exactly? Was it the course, the people, the city, the accommodation? Hopefully not all of the aforementioned.
Uhhh, yes, it was all of the above :p:

Most people have a great time, but I really did hate it. Don't get me wrong; I did have some good times and meet some good people too, but overall I just didn't have a nice time!
Doodles89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
These threads about "is Portsmouth bad" are really getting old now..
Lewk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i didn't like it at first but i think that was just me not being able to adjust from home, anyway most places ive been in england, the city of portsmouth would deffinately come in the top half & ive been to a lot of places around the UK, the night life is pretty good too. My department is pretty decent, i don't know about others...
The part about chavs... there are no student chavs that ive seen at all round the uni.. didn't know student chavs existed in the first place :erm: but they usually pop up around the fountain in the city center sometimes and around some parts of fratton (the rough area) which you should have no reason to go to anyway so chavs really aren't a worry
Jensonb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Doodles89)
These threads about "is Portsmouth bad" are really getting old now..
Tell me about it XD
Sushidelight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't like it at first ... but now I love it.
BeesKnees
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Portsmouth is great, it really is what you make it and a lot of your good experiences will depend on the people you meet. Students are generally friendly and always up for a laugh so as long as you are too, you shouldn't have any problems. The only issue I have with portsmouth is that it's **** for shopping but I can live with that.
armageddonbride
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, a hell of a lot more people continue on and graduate than drop out/transfer, so it can't be bad! I love it personally.
pinktictacs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by skribla)
It's rubbish mate. And we're all inbred. I'm not even from there but living there for 3years made me really inbred. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't bring your inbred self down there. You'll only make the place worse.
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF M8
Philboy87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only graduated from Portsmouth University this year. I have to say the city has some really nice areas (i.e. the seafront, Gunwharf Quays etc.). I studied European Studies and International Relations, which was mainly situated in Park Building, which is very big, old and really nice. The teaching was excellent too and I think the library is brilliant asi t is quite new, very big with lots of study areas etc. I had a generally good time there :-)

Philip
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
17.27%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.27%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.18%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (26)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.82%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads