Which uni should I choose? HELP!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sparkly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi!
I've got offers from Nottingham, Durham and York so far (I'm still waiting for Bristol and St Andrews) to read Psychology.
I applied to Oxford but I was rejected and now I can't choose between the others! I could really do with some help here please!
Does anyone know which has the best course- I'm doing some research using the internet and all the 3rd years are VERY different!
These are my choices in a bit more detail:
Durham, St Chads- Psychology
York- Psychology
Nottingham- Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience

Please tell me some things about the other two incase I get offers from them too.

I'm post A level- so grades aren't a problem- I can just walk into any of the above this year!

Thanks, Joanne
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Durham 1st choice
York 2nd with out a doubt
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I concur
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Visit all three and got o the one you like the best, regardless of league tables as they're all respeted - that's the best advice you'll get.
It'll be three years of your life, don't make the mistake I did!
Follow your heart even if it doesn't give you the "right" answer.

(And please reply to them soon cos then they might give your rejected places to me!)

Out of curiosity, what A Levels do you have?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sparkly)
Hi!
I've got offers from Nottingham, Durham and York so far (I'm still waiting for Bristol and St Andrews) to read Psychology.
I applied to Oxford but I was rejected and now I can't choose between the others! I could really do with some help here please!
Does anyone know which has the best course- I'm doing some research using the internet and all the 3rd years are VERY different!
York- Psychology

Thanks, Joanne
Hey your choices are exactly like mine!! Durham, York, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Oxford (rejected) and St. Andrews to study Psychology.

Funny, because I posted the same thread and almost every one told me to go for Nottingham. It's currently #1 in psychology!

Although Durham is a good uni, it isn't strong in psychology. I'm still making it my insurance coz it's a lovely place.

York is high in the rankings so I kind of feel guilty turning the offer down...

St. Andrews is taking forever to reply.....
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi!
York- Psychology

Please tell me some things about the other two incase I get offers from them too.

I'm post A level- so grades aren't a problem- I can just walk into any of the above this year!

Thanks, Joanne
nottingham or york for psych. notts has been number 1 in the times leagues for the last 3 years i think
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nottingham or durham are the best in terms of how they are seen, but i suppose york could be another good one, i haven't really heard about it (that may be a good or a bad sign!)
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peapod)

Out of curiosity, what A Levels do you have?
My A levels are Physics, Maths, Psychology and Biology (AAAA).

Thank you all so much for replying- keep it coming coz I need all the help I can get!!
Anyway, my dilemma is that I agree that Nottingham and York are excellent for Psych. but I like Durham (St Chads and the place itself), but they're not so good for Psychology.
Also, what about Bristol- I liked the course strucutre, so that's why I applied there, but are they really any good for Psychology?
Would I be stupid to turn down an offer from Durham or would I be stupid to turn down the offer at Notts?
I just can't decide!!!

The Nottingham course looks excellent- I don't think I really like the look of York's 3rd year advanced options.

Oh, I don't know...HELP ME MORE!!
Sparkly
Rep:
?
Oh, and I forgot- please feel free to try and convince me that I would be much better off at one of these places than Oxford (just to console me!)!!! (Come to think of it, maybe I would be better off if Nottingham beat them in the league table!!)
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
its quite strange that you got rejected from Oxford with AAAA....
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Me2)
its quite strange that you got rejected from Oxford with AAAA....
Yes, it is a bit of a bummer!

Especially since my grades at GCSE were 7A*, 6A, AAAA at As, AAAA at A2 and I have 100% in my Psychology A Level overall!

Oh well, I'm trying to move on from that experience and look forward to going to another excellent uni like Notts, Durham, York...
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it is a bit of a bummer!

Especially since my grades at GCSE were 7A*, 6A, AAAA at As, AAAA at A2 and I have 100% in my Psychology A Level overall!

Oh well, I'm trying to move on from that experience and look forward to going to another excellent uni like Notts, Durham, York...
thats awful, as you've obviously worked so hard! i suppose maybe they didn't like your choice of subjects.... still its quite bad
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Me2)
thats awful, as you've obviously worked so hard! i suppose maybe they didn't like your choice of subjects.... still its quite bad
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sure I'll have a good time wherever I go though....hopefully! Where have you applied? Which subject?
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Also, what about Bristol- I liked the course strucutre, so that's why I applied there, but are they really any good for Psychology?
Would I be stupid to turn down an offer from Durham or would I be stupid to turn down the offer at Notts?
I just can't decide!!!
bristol is supposed to be good for psych but not highly rated, you need two science subjects for the bristol course which i assume puts a lot of good applicants off.

notts is great for psych(ask .nk) but if you honestly liked durham more then just go for it. as a random point of caution someone i vaguely know is doing psych at durham and hates it but i think thats more him refusing to be sociable, he says the course is nothing like a-level but perhaps thats to be expected everywhere.

i think i depends on what you want to do after, if you are interested in pursuing a career in a psych related area then go for notts and/or york, if you just want a half decent degree then any of your choices are great
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm sure I'll have a good time wherever I go though....hopefully! Where have you applied? Which subject?
i haven't i'm only in year 11 (and therefore probably shouldn't be on this website :rolleyes: ) !!! but i want to do law at durham.... preferably!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's not the end of the world that you weren't accepted to Oxbridge, I'm sure you'll do great wherever you go. Don't forget that the Universities you've been accepted to are absolutely excellent will aid you whether you want a purely academic lifestyle, or looking for a city career. Nottingham and Durham are the ones I'd go with personally, the pros and cons are that Nottingham is the best in the field of Psychology and that Durham is the more reputable all round. Give it a good think over. Good Luck!
Sparkly
Rep:
?
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
Nottingham and Durham are the ones I'd go with personally, the pros and cons are that Nottingham is the best in the field of Psychology and that Durham is the more reputable all round. Give it a good think over. Good Luck!
I think it will be a toss up between those two unis but that is my dilemma- Notts is good for Psych but Durham is reputable all round- which one would you all be inclined to go with? Would you go to the one which is best for your subject or one which has a generally high profile? I know they're both good unis, but I finding it sooo hard to decide. Because I'm post A level, I only need to pick one!
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it will be a toss up between those two unis but that is my dilemma- Notts is good for Psych but Durham is reputable all round- which one would you all be inclined to go with? Would you go to the one which is best for your subject or one which has a generally high profile? I know they're both good unis, but I finding it sooo hard to decide. Because I'm post A level, I only need to pick one!
These files helped solidify my decision to accept the offer to study Psychology @ Notts:

Nottingham Assessment: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subjrev/All/q177_99.pdf

York Assessment: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subjrev/All/q187_2000.pdf

Durham Assessment: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subjrev/All/q94_99.pdf

Bristol Assessment: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/revreps/subjrev/All/q128_00.pdf

Whoever wrote the assessment for Notts really, REALLY thought highly of the course. The language is so much more passionate than the others, lol!
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I think it will be a toss up between those two unis but that is my dilemma- Notts is good for Psych but Durham is reputable all round- which one would you all be inclined to go with? !
not to start all this again but nottingham has arguably a much higher reputation than durham for *most* subjects, i believe durham is very good for law, physics and history but i'm not sure what else. nottingham is also viewed much more highly than durham by employers and is better for psych.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
notts is great for psych(ask .nk)
Notts is great for psych

Sparkly - I'm half way through my first year of a psych degree at Notts. I'm doing straight psych, but I know a bit about the pcn course so feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (243)
61.83%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.58%
No- I want it (106)
26.97%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.62%

Watched Threads