16-25 railcard - coming up to 25....

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,

If someone is going to be 25 on 22nd August. They have a 16-25 railcard that expires on 21st December.

Basically, what is the best/easiest/most or least legitimate way to continue to benefit from lovely 1/3 off rail fares?

Thanks!

Lemily
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
Dumb Economist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lemily)
Hi,

My boyfriend is going to be 25 on 22nd August. He has a 16-25 railcard that expires on 21st December. He recently graduated but his student card is valid until September.

Basically, what is the best/easiest/most or least legitimate way to continue to benefit from lovely 1/3 off rail fares?

Thanks!

Lemily
None. Pay the normal fare
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They don't check ID on trains, just use it.
Dumb Economist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
They don't check ID on trains, just use it.
There is an expiry date on the card
ian.slater
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi,

My boyfriend is going to be 25 on 22nd August. He has a 16-25 railcard that expires on 21st December. He recently graduated but his student card is valid until September.

Thanks!

Lemily
I believe you can buy a railcard until the day before your 26th birthday, which then lasts a whole year. So his current card remains valid until December; he can renew then for a year; and renew again nearly a year from now to keep the concession until August 2012.
heidigirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The website says under 26. So it would seem it includes the year you are 25, up until the point you turn 26, and you can renew a one year card up to the day before you're 26.
Arturo Bandini
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's 16-25 inclusive.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah what people are saying, you can renew up to the day before your 26th birthday so he can renew in December since he's still 25 and continue using the card until the following december.

Or possibly renew just before his 26th birthday, if they allow renewals part way through a year, to get an extra while out of it.

Whether he's a student or not doesn't matter, the card is for people under 26 OR full time students, it just means if he was still a student and 26+ he could still get one.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network
He can use that one when he finally needs a new one, if he lives in london or the south east.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
It's 16-25 inclusive.
This. OP, read the small print in future.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahh conflicting answers! But most seem to be pointing to possible renewal up to the day before the 26th birthday! Fantastic, that is good to know.

It's a shame we didn't look into it earlier as they now offer a 3-year card that you can purchase online up until the day before your 24th birthday which would have been splendid, but never mind.

So the plan should be: use this one until it expires in December. Renew it for a year, and then come 21st August next year, buy a new one to take it through another year.
See here if you need any more evidence: http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-1...rms-conditions
Special note

As long as you are aged 25 at the time that the Railcard is purchased, you may still travel at the discounted fare throughout the validity period of the Railcard, even if you become 26 years old during that time. Likewise, 3-year 16-25 Railcards purchased online up until the day before your 24th birthday will be valid for a full 3-years.
at0micsmurf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So Essentially you can use one until you turn 28 if you're not a student
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!

Lemily
You can buy them when you are 25, up until the day before your 26th birthday.
jojospacemunky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well i am 31 and i have a 16-25 railcard as i am classed as a mature student when i got it i was on my Access course at college and i shall be renewing it again this year when it runs out in November with me being at college

So if you and/or your bf are still in education then you can still get it
DJkG.1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lmao at all the 28 / 31 year old entitlements people are working out... :p:

Only on TSR lol. :awesome:

Yeah just keep using it as long as it says it's valid, it's not like you're committing a bank robbery if you're too old. :dontknow:
EvieMo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He can buy a new 16-25 railcard as long as he is still 25 when he buys it. It will still be valid once he turns 26, until the date written on the card.

There is something called a Network Railcard for a similar price, that offers similar benefits. It might be a good option once he comes to renew again after he turns 26.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Lmao at all the 28 / 31 year old entitlements people are working out... :p:

Only on TSR lol. :awesome:

Yeah just keep using it as long as it says it's valid, it's not like you're committing a bank robbery if you're too old. :dontknow:
28 is BS, 31 not so much, as mature students can also get 16-25 railcards, even if they aren't 16-25 (confusing, I know )
at0micsmurf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I couldn't give a **** when it's valid till, but judging from the evidence given above it would mean you can buy a 3 year rail card while 25 (as it's 16-25 inclusive) which would mean the card is valid until you're 28. What's BS about that?
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by at0micsmurf)
I couldn't give a **** when it's valid till, but judging from the evidence given above it would mean you can buy a 3 year rail card while 25 (as it's 16-25 inclusive) which would mean the card is valid until you're 28. What's BS about that?
Once you reach 24 you can only buy a one-year railcard, so you couldn't get one that expires when you're 28 (unless you're in full-time education).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads