Driving test in 3 weeks.. calms/rescue remedy?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ashlie16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hiya

I'm an incredibly nervous person and I know on my test day i will just crumble. I've seen online that alot of people swear by rescue remedy. I'm so nervous that even 3 weeks before hand i'm finding it hard to sleep. I had a terrible lesson last week, but this morning I really pulled it together and shined (not being big headed!) although I do have one question.

If I am approaching the EOR which is on a hill, i clutch down, 1st gear and break, then handbrake if i need to stop. However, sometimes i misjudge how much the hill is going to take my speed and i'm going to slow to get to the EOR. My instructor tells me to try and catch the clutch however sometimes I just dont have enough time, so is it ok to stop when you have to, handbrake on, then go onto to do your hill start manouver. I see alot of people do this even after having passed there test. If i do stop say a metre before, handbrake then move off right away that wont be a major will it? wereas if i try to catch the clutch and i roll i see that as it will be a major.

Anyway,

Is rescue remedy any good? would you recommened it? Also, if you do, when/how should it be taken? how long before the test etc. Also, is it ok to start taking calms a week before because i'm nervous enough as it is. Thanks.
Advertisement
Ashlie16
Rep:
?
anyonee
Rawr.ox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's the EOR? O_o

And I've heard that rescue remedy is good, not sure how you use it though.
Advertisement
Ashlie16
Rep:
?
End of Road.
userdloat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Probably won't be a major, but yeh rolling back is, just practice those hill starts! They're easy as long as you have good clutch control and know your biting point well, oh and make sure you rev plenty, you won't shoot off as long as you bring the clutch up gently, but you won't roll back either
Advertisement
badgerkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uh, what I do is when i'm coming to a junction on a slope, I put it in first gear and creep it up to the line and put on the handbrake. Then do the necessary checks and when its safe, just go like normal. If you stop a meter before the line, then this could be unsafe as you are restricting your view of the incoming road. You have less of a view to see incoming traffic. So if you do handbrake too early, make sure to creep it up in 1st so its on the line.
PunkyFish-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ashlie16)
Hiya

I'm an incredibly nervous person and I know on my test day i will just crumble. I've seen online that alot of people swear by rescue remedy. I'm so nervous that even 3 weeks before hand i'm finding it hard to sleep. I had a terrible lesson last week, but this morning I really pulled it together and shined (not being big headed!) although I do have one question.

If I am approaching the EOR which is on a hill, i clutch down, 1st gear and break, then handbrake if i need to stop. However, sometimes i misjudge how much the hill is going to take my speed and i'm going to slow to get to the EOR. My instructor tells me to try and catch the clutch however sometimes I just dont have enough time, so is it ok to stop when you have to, handbrake on, then go onto to do your hill start manouver. I see alot of people do this even after having passed there test. If i do stop say a metre before, handbrake then move off right away that wont be a major will it? wereas if i try to catch the clutch and i roll i see that as it will be a major.

Anyway,

Is rescue remedy any good? would you recommened it? Also, if you do, when/how should it be taken? how long before the test etc. Also, is it ok to start taking calms a week before because i'm nervous enough as it is. Thanks.
Hi!

I tend not to be a nervous person but when ever I have a driving test I do get very nervous. The nerves ruin my judgement on my test making me either miss out things. I have sat five tests so far. The first three tests I used rescue remedy and it did not do a thing. I ended up being a nervous wreck. However on the other side of the argument 've had so many friends who have said that rescue remedy works for calming nerves for driving test. If it's your first driving test I would recommend trying rescue remedy.

For my last two tests i was prescribed a few beta blockers. I took only one beta blocker about an hour before my test and when I was on my actual test it took my nerves away and therefore was able to concentrate. I don't take beta blockers at any other time. I would try rescue remedy first and if you fail your test because of nerves then maybe consider going to your GP to have beta blockers prescribed to you. What you could do is buy some rescue remedy and try it for a few days to see what its like. Make sure you try it just before you go on a driving lesson as it would be good to see if it calms you down on your lesson.

I would also try breathing exercises which in the past has helped me calm down and make sure you eat a meal before the test. I was once told by my instructor that eating a bannana before the test can help take the nerves away!. Don't worry about your driving test during the run up to it. I found that this makes it worse just forget about it and ensure you have a good nights sleep before the test day.

Reguarding your driving question it's proberly best to ask your instructor anything you are unsure about. Anyway! good luck and all the best for your test!.
Advertisement
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your nerves are so bad they'll stop you passing, why not ask your GP for a low dose of propranolol - won't affect your concentration, but will block symptoms of anxiety like dry mouth, heart racing etc.
dinkyness_blob
Report 10 years ago
Hi! i've got my second test tomorrow and, like with my first test, I will use rescue remedy. I bought the pastilles and I thought that I was a lot less nervous than I expected I would be. It may be worth trying that, but in my experience Kalms is rubbish and doesn't do anything at all. Just try your best to stay calm and you'll pass easily!!!
Advertisement
Ashlie16
Rep:
?
Hi

I'm fine on hill starts, its just sometimes i can misjudge how much a hill will take my speed, so i break a little too early. And if i tried to get back to my bite and foot of break and onto gas i will roll. So is it safer to just stop just before you roll, put the handbrake on, then get to your bite again and gas quickly and creep forward.

I'm not nervous about my lessons at all, so it might just be a case of reading how nervous some peoople are for driving tests and that could be making me think im going to be soo nervous. I'm nervous for exams when im waiting for them to begin, but when im on an exam im fine, just get on with it. Its for the run up to my test i need something. I'm struggling to sleep and i no i will 100% not sleep on the night before my test. Is it ok to take kalms on the night before (the sleep ones) then maybe take some rescue remedy before i leave my house? I'm having an hour lesson before my test.
Black Mammoth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can't catch the clutch in time? No offence but how slow are you? You need to feel the car, it's like catching a plate which you know is going to drop, but easier.

Good luck!
Advertisement
Ashlie16
Rep:
?
Its not the clutch, its lifting the clutch, then moving from brake to gas in the space of about 2 seconds. The engine is tiny so you do have to really give it some or you will stall.
Tabers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah resuce remedy is quite good. I have the pastells now that they have them every now and again. My test is in 2 weeks and I'm nervous about it. My Mum brought a CD off amazon that is meant to help with driving test nerves and general driving nerves. I haven't listen to it yet though. I've only got 2 lessons left and considering on my last one it took me a couple attempts to do a parallel park (what is more annoying that I used to be able to do it like first time).

Anyway good luck!
Advertisement
Tinsley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't recommend propranolol purely because if you crash or anything insurance wont cover you and will say they were causing you to mess up your driving. They always say 'if affected do not drive or operate machinery' so I wouldn't recommend beta blockers, leave 'em for folks with heart problems

Rescue remedy is explained on the box I think, again I wouldn't exactly recommend it but IMO its better than beta blockers. You just put a few drops on the back of your tongue I think.
Ashlie16
Rep:
?
Ok, how should i take it?

my test is 10.30am, and my instructor is picking me up at 9.30. So what time should i take it? should i get the drops and do the water? should i take kalms like a week before so i can sleep but not on my test day etc? x
reeceyalbert
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, Did you use rescue remedy? How did you find it?

Thanks
Emmamiller
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have used rescue remedy drops the 10ml bottle, I had my driving test a few weeks ago and I started taking the drops a few days before and it literally stopped me feeling nervous within minutes. I would be a nervous person when it comes to exams, interviews and driving tests so I would recommended this a lot as it really does help!!
Advertisement
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just stay calm and learn clutch control
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Irish courage.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well Rescue Remedy is a herbal 'medicine' so it doesn't actually do anything, it just makes you think it does. It's the placebo effect. You've just got to buckle down and get on with it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (63)
27.75%
Less motivated (164)
72.25%

Watched Threads