This discussion is closed.
Nafisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Did anyone get into oxford/cambridge to do history one of my friends got rejected even though she got 10A* GCSE and 4As. What extra things do the people that get in have? just wondering.......xxxx
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yea, I received an offer from Oxford (as did Aliel). What exactly do you you mean?.....
Schmelen
Report 16 years ago
um, i got an offer from Oxfit. not too sure what you mean by 'extra' things though... ugh, and i dont want to take anything away from your friend but im not too sure exam results have a huge influence on the whole process - the tutors dont seem to take them into account as much as i had expected.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
so what kind of attributes do you think you have which set you apart from a lot of people applying to oxbridge who got rejected....just wondering....
Schmelen
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
so what kind of attributes do you think you have which set you apart from a lot of people applying to oxbridge who got rejected....just wondering....
i think from my experience the interview is the most important thing. that is what the tutors use to assess your potential, how you think, whether you would fit in, and most importantly (i think) whether or not they would enjoy teaching you for three years in a very personal system. they have to want to teach you, so i guess there is room for perfect candidates to fall back just because of a personal clash with a tutor. i suppose in that respect a bit of luck has to come into play, but i would doubt that a tutor would reject someone on personality alone.

hmmm. sorry if thats a bit incoherent, as youve probably guessed, that (above) is merely my opinion. hope it helps. x
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What from I gathered it seems to be almost exclusivly based on your submitted written work and interview performance...
Bond
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
What from I gathered it seems to be almost exclusivly based on your submitted written work and interview performance...
A mate of mine was told that he was in top 10 for 8 places and any other year apart from this one" he would have had a place"... due to massively increased applications...Onset of tuition fees means 2004 and 2005 few are taking gap years I guess, also history very very popular again. I know it always was but even more so with tv programmes etc.
As you can imagine he was gutted but doubts he will try again..
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Aye, there did seem to be plenty of historians knocking around to be fair.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads