First uni food shop - list! Watch

sweetnesspink
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm moving into my flat in a few weeks and because I've been living at home for the past 3 years none of the food here is mine so I have to start completely from scratch when I move. And I like to cook so I can't just buy stuff daily for eating because I need all the store cupboard essentials! I just did my shopping on Asda Online (didn't actually order, just wanted to see the price!) and it came to £110 (£150 with wine, beer, spirits etc!)!

That's for literally EVERYTHING though! Herbs, spices, flour, oils, sauces, pasta, rice, cous cous, lots of meat for the freezer, cling film, foil, washing up liquid, washing detergent etc. I didn't think that was too bad!

What are your essentials?
Sam...
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Uh.. bread, cheese, ham, pasta, pesto, milk, cereal, rice, frozen pizzas, mincemeat, crisps, chocolate, some packet mixes..
A Manc In Brighton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
pesto, pasta - done.
chelseafreak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
microwaveable meals and take aways, depends on how much money i want to spend
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
instant noodles :sogood:
lemily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
salt (table and rock)
peppercorns
tabasco
lee and perrins
tomato puree
garlic puree
stock cubes (veg, chicken, beef)
soy sauce
chilli sauce
vinegar (malt and cider and balsamic)
vegetable oil
olive oil
gravy granules
corn flour
plain flour
bread flour
yeast
self-raising flour
baking powder
bicarb soda (can you guess I make bread and bake?)
pesto
curry paste

spices: smoked paprika, cayenne, chilli powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, etc
herbs (dried): mixed hers, oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, parsley, etc

rice (long grain, brown, risotto)
pasta (all varieties)
noodles
cous cous
oats
lentils

tinned new potatoes
baked beans
tuna
other canned fish e.g. sardines
soup
tinned tomatoes
passata
tinned beans/pulses

cereal
dried fruit e.g. raisins, sultanas, apricots.

sugar (brown, white, caster)

lemon juice
lime juice

sundried tomatoes
dried mushrooms

breadcrumbs

Those are my general store cupboard ingredients from which I can make most anything though I will have undoubtedly have missed things off.
asdalol
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Don't some of the big shops give out free food during freshers? Like dominos giving out free pizza :dontknow:

Just live off that for the first week :p:
LittleLou x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thats not too bad I suppose for essentials that you will use all term maybe? I don't have a clue what I'm going to do for food shopping, I will definitley wait till I'm there and just go with the flow, I don't want to be lugging boxes of food when I move in, I'm literally going with all my clothes, single duvet from home and a baking tray someone bought me! I'm planning on buying everything there!
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I looked forward to the first shop so much My dad had bought stuff from the supermarket for me so I didn't have to get all the essentials straight away, but my first big shop included lots of fresh veg (onions, peppers, courgettes, leeks, carrots, mushrooms, probably broccoli), rice, bulgar wheat, pasta, herbs, stock cubes, tinned tomatoes, mince, tinned tuna, tinned fruit, and a couple of pot noodles just to see what they were like (never again!)
dothestrand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh dear. I haven't thought about anything like this yet. Don't even know how I'll be getting to uni.
I imagine I'll be subsisting off Ritz biscuits and toast, though.
Allergic to Logic
Report 9 years ago
Is it better to buy everything when you get there than bringing food then? I'm used to bringing food to places because I'm vegan, but I'm hopefully going to Brighton anyway so there's loads of vegan food there.

Also don't uni kitchens give you like a tiny food-storing space each? :/
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just buy stuff as you go along. If you fill up the freezer with all your stuff then your flatmates will hate you.
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't even know what I'll get in the first shop!!! Some things I'll just take from home like herbs/spices :ninja:
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What you want to do is get your parents to bugger off for a week on holiday or something, and have a go at living for a week on your own. Just take note of what you use.
sweetnesspink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arekkusu)
What you want to do is get your parents to bugger off for a week on holiday or something, and have a go at living for a week on your own. Just take note of what you use.
I've already lived on my own! I know what I want, I was just wondering about what other people like to have in their cupboards/freezers.
sweetnesspink
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
Just buy stuff as you go along. If you fill up the freezer with all your stuff then your flatmates will hate you.
No they won't! I'm living with adults who have lived alone already for several years, who will eat real food and appreciate the need to fill the freezer/cupboards. Plus we all have our own shelves/drawers!
Deutsch_Beth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm planning on huge pack of pasta, huge pot of pesto, big bunch of bananas, fruit squash, milk, broccolli, cheese, cereal and bread. That's pretty much all I consume at home anyway. Oh and bovril, 'cos I'm weird.
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sweetnesspink)
No they won't! I'm living with adults who have lived alone already for several years, who will eat real food and appreciate the need to fill the freezer/cupboards. Plus we all have our own shelves/drawers!
OK, calm it. :p: I still think my point stands though, adults can be surprisingly childish. Sounds like you're a good cook though, so you can probably bribe them to like you with food. That's what I always do at any rate.

I'd say most important thing to have is lots of herbs and spices. That way it doesn't matter what little else you have, you can still make things taste good.
tarek.abdia
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lemily)
salt (table and rock)
peppercorns
tabasco
lee and perrins
tomato puree
garlic puree
stock cubes (veg, chicken, beef)
soy sauce
chilli sauce
vinegar (malt and cider and balsamic)
vegetable oil
olive oil
gravy granules
corn flour
plain flour
bread flour
yeast
self-raising flour
baking powder
bicarb soda (can you guess I make bread and bake?)
pesto
curry paste

spices: smoked paprika, cayenne, chilli powder, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, etc
herbs (dried): mixed hers, oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, parsley, etc

rice (long grain, brown, risotto)
pasta (all varieties)
noodles
cous cous
oats
lentils

tinned new potatoes
baked beans
tuna
other canned fish e.g. sardines
soup
tinned tomatoes
passata
tinned beans/pulses

cereal
dried fruit e.g. raisins, sultanas, apricots.

sugar (brown, white, caster)

lemon juice
lime juice

sundried tomatoes
dried mushrooms

breadcrumbs

Those are my general store cupboard ingredients from which I can make most anything though I will have undoubtedly have missed things off.
ye i'm sure you've missed out a few things :yep:
sweetnesspink
Rep:
?
(Original post by superwolf)
OK, calm it. :p: I still think my point stands though, adults can be surprisingly childish. Sounds like you're a good cook though, so you can probably bribe them to like you with food. That's what I always do at any rate.

I'd say most important thing to have is lots of herbs and spices. That way it doesn't matter what little else you have, you can still make things taste good.
Haha I'm calm! I just meant I'm not in halls sharing with lots of people away from home for the first time (which is a totally different situation, I agree! In that case I'd just shop as I needed it!).

I'll win them over with a good meal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads