This discussion is closed.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I, to my greay dismay have just found out im debating tonight and have around 20minutes to research it after I type this post. Hence, I need a little help and this should at least generate some debate.

The motion I am debating over is - 'This House would abolish NATO' , i;m opposing it, bus that irrelvent. Any of your insights into what exactly the point of NATO is and why it is/is not worth keeping will be greatly appericated.

-Corey
B00kwOrm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
I, to my greay dismay have just found out im debating tonight and have around 20minutes to research it after I type this post. Hence, I need a little help and this should at least generate some debate.

The motion I am debating over is - 'This House would abolish NATO' , i;m opposing it, bus that irrelvent. Any of your insights into what exactly the point of NATO is and why it is/is not worth keeping will be greatly appericated.

-Corey
The point of NATO was to form a defensive alliance against the Warsaw Pact, which is its counterpiece from Soviet Russia and it's satellite states. Now you could argue that since the Soviet Union doesn't exist anymore, we don't need NATO anymore. However, there are still many threats (e.g. terrorism) against which an alliance like NATO can be useful. Also, apart from America, no nation has the financial and military power to fight a big war (like in Iraq) on it's own, so an alliance seems to be the only way.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads