des91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I want to do something related to law.
The topic I'm currently mulling over is 'the enduring impact of terrorism on human rights in Britain since 9/11'.
I'm thinking I could then talk about the significance of anti-terrorism legislation for 'human rights', or how terrorism has affected political attitudes or rhetoric in regards to human rights?
But I feel like there would be a risk of it being either a) too broad, or b) too specific, i.e. not enough to talk about.
What do people think?

But also, if I wasn't to do that topic at all,
What would be some ideas of a law related extended project topic?

Cheers.
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by des91)
I want to do something related to law.
The topic I'm currently mulling over is 'the enduring impact of terrorism on human rights in Britain since 9/11'.
I'm thinking I could then talk about the significance of anti-terrorism legislation for 'human rights', or how terrorism has affected political attitudes or rhetoric in regards to human rights?
But I feel like there would be a risk of it being either a) too broad, or b) too specific, i.e. not enough to talk about.
What do people think?

But also, if I wasn't to do that topic at all,
What would be some ideas of a law related extended project topic?

Cheers.
Hmmm...that does sound more like Politics than Law (although the two are related). I'd try and pick a topical issue - I started mine in September last year so I based it loosely around Debbie Purdy. :awesome: I broadened it to look at the implications of the law on medicine (assisted suicide, (lack of legal) duty to rescue others in emergencies, that kind of thing). I know someone else did something similar, there was another on "human rights" and a third on the age of criminal responsibility.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.
giantlemon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is this the extended essay cos ill tell you now its a b*tch. im doing roman army effectiveness and im having to cut it down from being 8200 words to the required 5000. i think if i were you i would aim about something specific rather than broad. you can always pack more stuff in via other peoples views and sources but taking stuff out is a hell of a job. easier to add than take away without changing your structure too much.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did mine on 'The Use of Computing for the Advancement of Genomics' - although you might think this is completely unrelated, there are literally hundreds of laws in relation to this - everything from data processing to ethical research etc. Not to mention how the future of personalised genomics is going to need to be regulated.
des91
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
You're totally right. My topic is too broad.
I suppose I forget that 5000 words isn't actually all that much.
I do kind of want to do something a bit political, but primarily law obviously.
I'm trying to look at the news and figure out if there is something I can form a topic on. Immigration law would be very interesting , but I do have to be careful about doing it on a topic which requires detailed knowledge of the law that I don't have!
Argh! So tough.
Tortious
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by des91)
You're totally right. My topic is too broad.
I suppose I forget that 5000 words isn't actually all that much.
I do kind of want to do something a bit political, but primarily law obviously.
I'm trying to look at the news and figure out if there is something I can form a topic on. Immigration law would be very interesting , but I do have to be careful about doing it on a topic which requires detailed knowledge of the law that I don't have!
Argh! So tough.
What knowledge, if any, do you have?

You don't get marks for originality (:p:) so as long as you're not doing anything like others at your centre, I'd be inclined to look at an area from the A Level Law syllabus and discuss whether there's a need for reform. That's essentially what most of them boil down to, and it means that you should be able to tell "what the law is" by referring to a decent (and up-to-date!) textbook. The most obvious area is Criminal since that seems to receive the most media attention, but Human Rights should be OK.
Tortious
Report 11 years ago
Here - the only thing I've found so far (since The Times isn't available any more :hmmm:). That would allow you to look at the law on rape/consent and the age of criminal responsibility. You could even broaden it a little more if necessary and look at whether the "procedure" of rape trials is satisfactory. There have been several cases recently of men falsely accused of rape whose reputations have been damaged - I think there were anonymity proposals within the last few months too, but I'm not sure what happened to them. :erm:
abs95
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
anyone have any ideas I can do the EPQ on that's media related?
Vibenation
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by abs95)
Maybe something like a short film project, documentary of some sort. You could do a documentary/project about how the new titution fees affect people ambitions to go to University/higher education. Its a very conversational topic but there are loads of materials for this topic.

Good luck.
Tortious
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by abs95)
This thread's about EPQ ideas for someone interested in law. Are you looking for suggestions like those offered by Vibenation, or something on "media law"?

If it's the latter, I haven't covered the area in ages, but there's a new Defamation Bill which might be worth looking into. You can find a summary (which probably has more detail than you need!) here.
GeorgeVallance
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To what extent is a pound/99p a profitable business?

I wanted something business related.
is this sk ething that people can see working fr the EPQ?
And advise is helpful
farmic09
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing mine, on a something I enjoy to learn about- which is crime- and im basing it on Jack the Ripper
Jay.fili96
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone have any idea on how I can relate my EPQ into art. I'm thinking of doing a painting which I then only have to write 1000 words.
Thanks in advance.
Caroline Honey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am doing my EPQ on the argument as to wether laws from other specific countries should be enforced in the UK too..
Does that sound good? I need help.. I'm only in year 12, and this is the first time I'm ever doing something like this.
Aneesah_May
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey what was your title as im thinking of doing something similar (as in focusing on maybe 1-3 case studies) but not sure how.
iloveepq123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
mmm cheers des91, I am looking for a question on terrorism as well as I feel it is topical in today's society.
Any suggestions?
Many Thanks Olly
malaikaxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
Hmmm...that does sound more like Politics than Law (although the two are related). I'd try and pick a topical issue - I started mine in September last year so I based it loosely around Debbie Purdy. :awesome: I broadened it to look at the implications of the law on medicine (assisted suicide, (lack of legal) duty to rescue others in emergencies, that kind of thing). I know someone else did something similar, there was another on "human rights" and a third on the age of criminal responsibility.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hi, I am doing the EPQ in AS, and wish to pursue law as a career. However am conflicted between studying health law or environmental law :confused: which I have sought an interest in.Could you please give me ideas on:- what type of question to choose for my EPQ title based on environmental and health law.- what area to research in the field of law (which is common and easy to get a job in) Thanks for any feedback
Jendan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please does any one have an idea on what topic "question" I could "talk"about and could do "survey"on.. should be about nursing or midwifery
naomihalliexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I too was thinking about doing something related to law! xx
naomihalliexx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l::2euk48l: what should I do my EPQ on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads