Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wonderin coz im thinking of getting 1. does any1 know how u look after them
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    AFAIK they are a protected species and not allowed to be traded. You might be able to get hold of one from the RSPCA if you can persuade them that you can provide a good home for it.

ReputationRep:
    They're rubbish, you have to keep them in a box for 6 months while they hibernate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    They're rubbish, you have to keep them in a box for 6 months while they hibernate.
    lol ok

ReputationRep:
    The good thing about them when they're big is if they run away they're easy to catch. They also have quite a painful bite. They eat lettuce and green vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The good thing about them when they're big is if they run away they're easy to catch. They also have quite a painful bite. They eat lettuce and green vegetables.
    and they r faster than hares aswell, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    and they r faster than hares aswell, apparently.
    The small ones are fast things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The small ones are fast things.
    i like tortoise, they r kool
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    You should *Never* feed a tortoise lettuce or other watery foods on a regular basis - they get addicted to it and it provides almost no nutrition so they will slowly die from malnutrition

http://www.go4animals.co.uk/index.php3?topic=tortoise
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    A legal tortoise will cost you around £150

http://www.pettortoise.co.uk/tortoises_for_sale.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    You should *Never* feed a tortoise lettuce or other watery foods on a regular basis - they get addicted to it and it provides almost no nutrition so they will slowly die from malnutrition

what does is eat then? i thought lettuce and water was good for them.

ReputationRep:

we give our dog chips and stuff, but it seems to like it.

you shouldnt bother reading those things, they r always overprotective

ReputationRep:
    i should warn you about what u r in for. my mate got two of them when he was 7 and then they were kept in a small tank.

today he has to keep them outside because they have grown ssssssoooooo big.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    what does is eat then? i thought lettuce and water was good for them.
    Better (and cheaper) to feed them weeds from the garden - any greens that aren't watery basically. And they need calcium suppliments if there are no sources in their diets (they have to make those shells out of something)

ReputationRep:
    Better (and cheaper) to feed them weeds from the garden - any greens that aren't watery basically. And they need calcium suppliments if there are no sources in their diets (they have to make those shells out of something)
    weeds better than water & lettuce? please.......
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    we give our dog chips and stuff, but it seems to like it.

you shouldnt bother reading those things, they r always overprotective
    Do you give your dog dogfood too?

lettuce etc is fine to give to a tortoise for a treat (like chips for a dog - and my cat loves crisps) but you've got to make sure they're eating well too...otherwise you end up with an unhealthy pet who will cost so much more to care for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i should warn you about what u r in for. my mate got two of them when he was 7 and then they were kept in a small tank.

today he has to keep them outside because they have grown ssssssoooooo big.
    isnt that a good thing? they can guard the house lol.

big tortoises look well good. u can take ride on its back if t becomes big enough, i hav seen it on tv.

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: Any advice i give is advisory and it is up to you to make a judgement and pursue you knowledge of tortoises further. Should my advice lead to the death of a tortoise i will not be held responsible and can't be sued.

ReputationRep:
    Do you give your dog dogfood too?

lettuce etc is fine to give to a tortoise for a treat (like chips for a dog - and my cat loves crisps) but you've got to make sure they're eating well too...otherwise you end up with an unhealthy pet who will cost so much more to care for.
    but lettuce and water is good though.......

and the rubbish they put in dog food........
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    weeds better than water & lettuce? please.......
    Good food items include Dandelions, Vetches, Clover, Grass, some green vegetables, (and small amounts of fruit, tomatoes, cucumber or squash occasionally).

My rabbit loved half on the plants/weeds growing in the garden and half on a proper rabbit food - dandelions are incredibly nutritious

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.