The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

several of my friends have lived there, its about 20 min away from the uni. Its a good way of meeting people outside your course, and you do get partys held in the flats. The rooms i've seen were nicer than the towers
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Rohit bezawada
Hey all,

Is anyone aware of the Avon way houses at Essex Uni?
Like how good are they, How many People would be living in each house, how far are they from the University & How is the social life at these houses.

Thanks in advance.

Let's start off, it's located 20-25 mins away from the campus. Three to five people in a group; two of which per floor, and three floors a block; in total there are six blocks. :smile: It's in Greenstead, used to be quite... unpleasant - but its alot better now.

Rooms are slightly smaller than the South court, though the double bed is a fair compensation. :smile: You'd have a shared toilet , possibly two between a group; one kitchen, and depending on which flat, might be two fridge if you're lucky. Kitchen is slightly better equipped than campus, which is nice if you cook a bit. Next to the office, is single common room, with a flat screen, snooker table - good place to relax. Car parks at the back for extra charge, comes handy. It's about 10 mins from Tesco, which is very convenient.

The down sides, there isn't anything more disturbing than the electric oven, doesn't work well. Social life is worser than South court, and the towers. Cos too often people simply aren't there - your mileage may vary. There are few, if any freshers - this does mean Avon way is noticeably quieter than the towers, suitable if you want to study. Compare to the campus, they don't have cleaners neither, you're expected to look after everything. If the internet in the labs are insanely fast, then you're about to learn the exact opposite in Avon Way. Sadly no direct bus - need to walk a fair bit, then change twice to get on campus. Likewise if you want a bus to town, you'd walk about 10 mins, just to the bus stop. A bike would come very handy. They never have fire alarm at night, unless some idiot actually burnt their toast. Normally need to get up pretty early - far cry from campus accommodation where you could be up 5 mins before lecture, and still be on time.

Considering the fact its so far off campus, and that there isn't ensuite bathroom, at well over £80/pw, it's a rip off unless you need somewhere quiet. Few ppl do enjoy it. Some went cos they didn't have a choice. I'd avoid personally.
Hey guys thx a ton for the info.

@bath & flyer8 could u give me info on Forest Road House?

Which is a better accommodation between Forest & Avon way houses?

how many live at Forest Road house? n hows the social life at Forest road houses?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4
Rohit bezawada
Hey guys thx a ton for the info.

@bath & flyer8 could u give me info on Forest Road House?

Which is a better accommodation between Forest & Avon way houses?

how many live at Forest Road house? n hows the social life at Forest road houses?

Thanks in advance.

If Avon way is far, then forest road is even further - add another 10 mins. It's cheaper cos more ppl share kitchen/bathroom. :s-smilie: Dunno how many lives there, but mainly postgraduate. :smile:
Reply 5
Flyer8
Let's start off, it's located 20-25 mins away from the campus. Three to five people in a group; two of which per floor, and three floors a block; in total there are six blocks.
okay! you can have 2 beds up to 6 bed flats, 3 flats per floor, and there are 8 blocks:smile:

Flyer8
There are few, if any freshers

It is mostly freshers, the uni bought out 5 of the blocks for freshers and it is very sociable in summer, theres a massive patch of grass where everyone sunbaths and revises, also have bbqs

Flyer8
Sadly no direct bus - need to walk a fair bit, then change twice to get on campus. Likewise if you want a bus to town, you'd walk about 10 mins, just to the bus stop

There is a direct bus from 8pm - 3am, this is the safety bus, and they are looking at getting the hours extended. and the nearest bus stop is a 3-5 minute walk!

Flyer8
Considering the fact its so far off campus, and that there isn't ensuite bathroom, at well over £80/pw, it's a rip off unless you need somewhere quiet. Few ppl do enjoy it. Some went cos they didn't have a choice. I'd avoid personally.

TBH i think its pretty decent, new furniture, new kitchen appliences, and as of next year there will be en-suites.
I've lived there for a year already and i think its pretty damn nice!
a lot cheaper than south courts and a damn sight nicer than towers! now THOSE i think should be avoided!

sorry mate :P
Reply 6
Don't listen to everything Flyer8 says. There is a bus stop to town almost right outside the avon way building (number 64 bus). Tesco is about a 5 min walk (unless you're crawling). Uni campus is approx 20 mins walk.
I live in Forest Road house now, and I agree it is mostly postgrads here. But it is very quiet, which is good if you want to study. There are 5 rooms per flat sharing a kitchen, separate shower and toilet, except 1 room which has an ensuite and is a little more expensive. The rooms are a decent size, about the same as the Towers. However, there is no common room or anything like that. It is a 5 min walk to Tesco, and it takes me 20 mins to walk to campus. Town is a half an hour walk, or there is a bus stop right outside. However, there are undergrads here, there are some parties, it is what you make of it really, if you're sociable then there are people to be sociable with!
I personally quite liked it- good that it was so close to Tesco (which is a 24 hour one, so can pop over anytime!), quiet, and it's nice to get off campus every day too. Also the fact that I could save £30 a week compared to living in South courts or the houses, means that I saved £1500 a year, thats enough for me!
Reply 7
Amsicle
a lot cheaper than south courts and a damn sight nicer than towers! now THOSE i think should be avoided!

lol we all have different views. :p:
djk_99
Don't listen to everything Flyer8 says. There is a bus stop to town almost right outside the avon way building (number 64 bus). Tesco is about a 5 min walk (unless you're crawling). Uni campus is approx 20 mins walk.
I live in Forest Road house now, and I agree it is mostly postgrads here. But it is very quiet, which is good if you want to study. There are 5 rooms per flat sharing a kitchen, separate shower and toilet, except 1 room which has an ensuite and is a little more expensive. The rooms are a decent size, about the same as the Towers. However, there is no common room or anything like that. It is a 5 min walk to Tesco, and it takes me 20 mins to walk to campus. Town is a half an hour walk, or there is a bus stop right outside. However, there are undergrads here, there are some parties, it is what you make of it really, if you're sociable then there are people to be sociable with!
I personally quite liked it- good that it was so close to Tesco (which is a 24 hour one, so can pop over anytime!), quiet, and it's nice to get off campus every day too. Also the fact that I could save £30 a week compared to living in South courts or the houses, means that I saved £1500 a year, thats enough for me!

What do u suggest?

Avon way/ Forest Road.

I would like to be living with as many people as possible & would love the place 2 b fun & sociable.

So with regard to the above two conditions which one would you suggest?

N thx a ton.
Flyer8
lol we all have different views. :p:

Lolz that is certainly Visible.

However thx 4 you're opinions & views.

What do u suggest?

Avon way or Forest road or non of the two lolz?

Thx a ton.
Reply 10
Rohit bezawada
What do u suggest?

Avon way/ Forest Road.

I would like to be living with as many people as possible & would love the place 2 b fun & sociable.

So with regard to the above two conditions which one would you suggest?

N thx a ton.

Probably Avon Way, simply for the fact that they have a common room, which is always a bit more sociable.
However, contrary to what everyone thinks, it really doesn't matter where you live- it's what you make of it that matters!
Reply 11
djk_99
Probably Avon Way, simply for the fact that they have a common room, which is always a bit more sociable.
However, contrary to what everyone thinks, it really doesn't matter where you live- it's what you make of it that matters!

Yeah that's a good choice, true too life's what you make of it. :smile:
Thats very much true.

Thanks a lot guys for ur help.

Have fun.

I think I'll be going to Avon way.

Cheers.
Reply 13
Rohit bezawada
Btw guys I 've came across some hilarious mixed reviews about the Uni.

Hows the Uni life been thus far?

Heard there r quite too many slags at the Uni? is that just a myth or is that true? lolz

This is an area where, your mileage may vary - alot. Wait and see for yourself. :smile:
Reply 14
Rohit bezawada
Btw guys I 've came across some hilarious mixed reviews about the Uni.

Hows the Uni life been thus far?

Heard there r quite too many slags at the Uni? is that just a myth or is that true? lolz

There's slags at every uni. Put together several thousand 18 year old girls and boys, what do you think is going to happen?!
djk_99
There's slags at every uni. Put together several thousand 18 year old girls and boys, what do you think is going to happen?!

Haha i know its inevitable. & its humans nature too.

Btw how often parties are held at Avon way/ Forest road?

Do all the students get 2gether or its just you're flat mates hang out n stuff?

or u would again say that its what u make of it?

I hear the net service at Avon way is way too bad? is that true?

Thanks in advance man.

I still haven't decided between Avon way/ Forest road.

Basically I'm looking 4 a vibrant place.
djk_99

Haha i know its inevitable. & its humans nature too.

Btw how often parties are held at Avon way/ Forest road?

Do all the students get 2gether or its just you're flat mates hang out n stuff?

or u would again say that its what u make of it?

I hear the net service at Avon way is way too bad? is that true?

Thanks in advance man.

I still haven't decided between Avon way/ Forest road.

Basically I'm looking 4 a vibrant place.
Edit/Delete Message
Btw are you guys on Facebook?
Reply 18
forest road is a bit......skank imo
avon way is newer and nicer. if you get to know people at avon way then yeah there are parties, it is what you make it
Reply 19
Amsicle
forest road is a bit......skank imo
avon way is newer and nicer. if you get to know people at avon way then yeah there are parties, it is what you make it

go with avon way if you must choose.