The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where abouts in England?
Malvern
Reply 3
You'll be fine. Expect a lot of attention, though.
If you have an incredibly annoying accent you may get a bit of stick. Saying that there was an American kid in my year and he seemed to settle in fine.
Oooh which school in Malvern? I live about 15 minutes from there...
4everjabberwocky
Im going to start 6th form in a few weeks. I have traveled to England a few times but besides that I'm clueless. A few words of advice from anyone would be lovely :confused:

Trust me, everyone will be fawning over you because of your accent :p: Enjoy the attention! You should get a warm welcome, so you don't really need to worry about not fitting in :smile: Just get on the good side of the teachers and be confident but not overconfident - basically the same advice given to anyone starting sixth form! Best of luck! :yep:
Silly_Wabbit
Oooh which school in Malvern? I live about 15 minutes from there...

Malvern College
Aka this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvern_College
Reply 8
:zomg: DONT WATCH THOSE ******** AMERICAN MOVIES WHERE AN AMERICAN GOES TO A SCHOOL IN ENGLAND AND IS CONFRONTED MY BRATTY SNOBBY PRIVATE SCHOOL KIDS. Because that's not true. :no:
Reply 9
4everjabberwocky
Malvern

we say autumn, not fall (pronounced ortum)

we say bin, not garbage can

we sky railway, not railroad

we spell colour like colour, not color

we say aeroplane, not airplane

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 10
Malvern's nice.... hope you have a great time.
Reply 11
Also: flavour not flavor
favour not favor
disorientated not disoriented
trainers not sneekers
football not soccer
courgette not zucchini (extremely important)
bum not butt
Getting 'pissed' is getting drunk, not angry. Getting angry is getting 'pissed off'
I'll think of some more later
Reply 12
So long as you don't say stupid things then you will be fine.
It's private school, the people there should be used to weird and wonderful people.
Reply 14
we say aluminium instead of aluminum, too

and maths instead of math
Reply 15
loooool i know an american guy who moved here, the first time i heard him speak was at a party and i was like "WHERE DID THAT COME FROM!?" and i was just shocked lmao, he said "YO PASS ME THE LAPTOP!"
he's quite hot u know hmmm

everyone's fascinated by his accent so be prepared for that i guess
You have to wear a uniform. :cry:

(Unless you already did. In which case, steady on)
Well interestingly I have just moved to America from Britain (junior) and despite me being in the honours and AP classes; the work is pure easy. As in stuff I was doing at around 13 or 14.
Therefore you will struggle; the content is a lot harder.

Let's just keep this delicate. Ahem: public schools (that's fee paying) have a certain reputation in this country for anal action if you know where I am going with this.

But I wish you good luck on your adventures across the pond anyway :h:
Reply 18
Really, you'll get used to the different words and the system may be harder but it's all good in the end really. Good luck and have fun.
Remember to spell correctly,
coloUr

Latest

Trending

Trending