This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I felt this exam was really badly timed, and I have no idea what the hell the end of the last question was about.

I reckon I'm looking at a low C, it's times like these I ask myself, how the hell am I going to make any of my offers? and why the hell am I doing a Maths degree?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I felt this exam was really badly timed, and I have no idea what the hell the end of the last question was about.

I reckon I'm looking at a low C, it's times like these I ask myself, how the hell am I going to make any of my offers? and why the hell am I doing a Maths degree?
if it was a hard paper then the mark bondaires will be more lenient.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Be calm, be calm.

The first time I did Pure 4, I got a garbage mark, took it again in the June period and upped it to a B, mainly because by the time you have done other units the stuff from previous books is somewhat routine.

Plenty of time for recovery, and you're probably being harsh on yourself anyway, some form of prudence.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lol. Just finsihed the OCR P1 exam, and I am thinking how on earth did I manage a B last time? Its pathetic, I finsihed P1 in half an hour and just checked my answers for the remaining hour or so. Its the luck of the draw to be honest. Sometimes the papers are difficult, and other times, they are just sooo easy, that its comical.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Be calm, be calm.

The first time I did Pure 4, I got a garbage mark, took it again in the June period and upped it to a B, mainly because by the time you have done other units the stuff from previous books is somewhat routine.

Plenty of time for recovery, and you're probably being harsh on yourself anyway, some form of prudence.
ditto. if it was that bad an exam, mark boundaires will be lenient.

if u perosnally, did THAT bad, then theres always resitting.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Most normal people go through this. There's no need to panic, as you have plenty of time to rectify the exam.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
lol. Just finsihed the OCR P1 exam, and I am thinking how on earth did I manage a B last time? Its pathetic, I finsihed P1 in half an hour and just checked my answers for the remaining hour or so. Its the luck of the draw to be honest. Sometimes the papers are difficult, and other times, they are just sooo easy, that its comical.
Good to hear! Well done Bhaal.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ditto. Physics module 1 exam 2day, it was pretty disgraceful.

my sister cud hav got an A Grade on that. unbelievable.
saying that, the boundaries will be higher for easier paper, so in theory it shud all be fair. (thats another matter in practice though)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
if it was a hard paper then the mark bondaires will be more lenient.
It wasn't necessarily hard, straight forward enough questions, just, the speed required to get through it all meant I was not able to finish, and I was making ridiculous mistakes. I found myself missing out things like partial fractions questoins which take a few mins and are tedious so I could scrape all the 3 mark questions which can be done in seconds.

Perhaps you'd like to have a go at this one,

w[1] = -1 - rt3 i
w[2] = -1 + rt3 i
w[3] = 2

What's the significance of the loci of the complex number z, |z-w[2]| = |z -w[3]| to w[3]?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Most normal people go through this. There's no need to panic, as you have plenty of time to rectify the exam.
correctomundo.

btw: i just wanted to know.

"find the least value of x^2 - 12x + 40"

we finsihed Pure 1 a while ago, i am not revisin or anythin, just i saw this question and my memory is blank.

please cud u poit me in the right direction?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
ditto. Physics module 1 exam 2day, it was pretty disgraceful.

my sister cud hav got an A Grade on that. unbelievable.
saying that, the boundaries will be higher for easier paper, so in theory it shud all be fair. (thats another matter in practice though)
Was this AQA? AQA module 3 (electricity and solids) was so hilariously easy.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Eh well done, you were a few seats in front of me actually.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It wasn't necessarily hard, straight forward enough questions, just, the speed required to get through it all meant I was not able to finish, and I was making ridiculous mistakes. I found myself missing out things like partial fractions questoins which take a few mins and are tedious so I could scrape all the 3 mark questions which can be done in seconds.

Perhaps you'd like to have a go at this one,

w[1] = -1 - rt3 i
w[2] = -1 + rt3 i
w[3] = 2

What's the significance of the loci of the complex number z, |z-w[2]| = |z -w[3]| to w[3]?
perhaps i wont!

no, Physics Module One. (physics, well, thats debatable....physics is supposed to b hard)
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
perhaps i wont!

no, Physics Module One. (physics, well, thats debatable....physics is supposed to b hard)
Ah okay. What sort of questions did it ask?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
if u perosnally, did THAT bad, then theres always resitting.
Of course you don't neccessarily need to have done badly to resit.

If, say you have got a low A on one unit, and feel that after nearly 2 years you can pick up some more marks to make more secure the A Grade overall, I know which unit I'd pick to retake.

In Further Maths I would have quite happily taken B grades all the way through, and duly did so on Discrete/Decision 1, but felt that I could pick up another 5 or 6 marks, which overall can make the huge difference - I went from a 76 to a 92.

It was either going to be sit D1 again, or sit P6 again - and I knew where the easier gain in marks was going to come from.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
correctomundo.

btw: i just wanted to know.

we finsihed Pure 1 a while ago, i am not revisin or anythin, just i saw this question and my memory is blank.

Complete the square:

(x-6)^2+4

therefore least value = 4 at x=6
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah okay. What sort of questions did it ask?
simple maths stuff, with the formulas on the sheet. (work function etc)

bit on optical fibre, mainly concentrating on calculating critical angles etc. (quite few marks there)

bit on photoelectric effect (1 question was pretty clever actually, it wud hav tricked a few)

bit on spectral lines (easy, though i think i may hav made 1 silly mistake ehre...)

and last one, question 6, was a 6 marker asking u to explain evidence for E.M waves and electrons acting as both particles and waves. (duality really)

and at start, it asked about protons, neutrons etc for an atom, then ti gave u a reaction, and u had to do conservation laws 4 it. (in quarks though, so it wasnt absolutely patheticly easy lol)
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Complete the square:

(x-6)^2+4

therefore least value = 4 at x=6
sorry mate, but i dont get that. memory hs faded.

why is the least value 4, when x = 6.

so u saying that this equation can never b able to equal any number less than 4?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)

Minimum value occurs when gradient is equal to zero, ie the turning point on a simple quadratic.

f(x) = x^2 - 12x + 40
f'(x) = 2x - 12

f'(x) = 0 => 2x - 12 = 0 => 2x = 12 => x = 6

So minimum value of f(x) occurs when x = 6.

Sub x=6 into f(x)

6^2 - 12(6) + 40
= 36 - 72 + 40
= 4

So minimum value of f(x) is 4.

[edit]Looks at Bhaal85's answer, and can't believe that I overlooked using "Complete the Square" to find the co-ordinates of the vertex[/edit]
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Minimum value occurs when gradient is equal to zero, ie the turning point on a simple quadratic.

f(x) = x^2 - 12x + 40
f'(x) = 2x - 12

f'(x) = 0 => 2x - 12 = 0 => 2x = 12 => x = 6

So minimum value of f(x) occurs when x = 6.

Sub x=6 into f(x)

6^2 - 12(6) + 40
= 36 - 72 + 40
= 4

So minimum value of f(x) is 4.
lol. i did the question that way!!!! got it right..

but my point was, it first asks me to complete the square for the equation. i just dont see how i can find the least val. from compelting the square.

and yes, i agree, i did it like this, the minimum turning point for this quadratic equation, but the question is on about complete. square, then "hence"...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads