Edexcel A Level Music Technology coursework mess up? Watch

brickbyboringbrick91
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Has anyone had their Edexcel A2 music technology coursework marked extremely low? I got an E for mine, when my teacher said during the year that it was A/B standard. They've also marked everyone elses in my college really low too. The guy that is grade 8 in everything got a D, and another guy whos about the same got a D too. No one got above a D in my college when they deserved A's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7I_Ak7HPSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSSZOz6HZg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DaJw-yHfjw

here is my coursework, do i really deserve an E for them?

I'm having it remarked, hopefully it'll get marked up. I was only 4 marks off what i needed aswell :/
superfreakay
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Hi there,
As you can tell from my username I too am an unfortunate sod who suffered through 2 years of Music Tech (our school were appalling at supplying the course and 2 days before the exam the computers were still not running cubase properly...! just as an idea of our predicament) so having worked my arse off through literal tears of frustration I was absolutely gutted to see my coursework mark - not to be arrogant but I was told it was at least a B so I am similarly confused - it doesn't make sense to be getting 66/120 essentially half marks for the amount of work I did on it - especially on Superfreak which my teacher and I were convinced was pretty close the original.
Glad to see we are all in the same boat just wondering what the feck EDEXCEL were expecting?!
Hopefully other music techers will come forward too
brickbyboringbrick91
Rep:
?
(Original post by superfreakay)
Hi there,
As you can tell from my username I too am an unfortunate sod who suffered through 2 years of Music Tech (our school were appalling at supplying the course and 2 days before the exam the computers were still not running cubase properly...! just as an idea of our predicament) so having worked my arse off through literal tears of frustration I was absolutely gutted to see my coursework mark - not to be arrogant but I was told it was at least a B so I am similarly confused - it doesn't make sense to be getting 66/120 essentially half marks for the amount of work I did on it - especially on Superfreak which my teacher and I were convinced was pretty close the original.
Glad to see we are all in the same boat just wondering what the feck EDEXCEL were expecting?!
Hopefully other music techers will come forward too
are you a teacher?
my teachers weren't in college today for some reason :/ but i'm still having it remarked, i'm pretty convinced i deserve at least a B!
tomandrews123
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by brickbyboringbrick91)
Has anyone had their Edexcel A2 music technology coursework marked extremely low? I got an E for mine, when my teacher said during the year that it was A/B standard. They've also marked everyone elses in my college really low too. The guy that is grade 8 in everything got a D, and another guy whos about the same got a D too. No one got above a D in my college when they deserved A's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7I_Ak7HPSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSSZOz6HZg0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DaJw-yHfjw

here is my coursework, do i really deserve an E for them?

I'm having it remarked, hopefully it'll get marked up. I was only 4 marks off what i needed aswell :/
This has happend to me and everyone in my class both for AS and A2 level. The students that are meant 2 be the top in the class are coming out with D's or worse. Me and my music buds listend 2 all ur peices and agree with your teachers grades, they are similiar to what we would expect for that grade. we want to know what an A grade piece sounds like! i was ONE mark off my B that i needed for uni, and becoz of this i now cant go! im having my exam remarked to try and get the extra mark, even tho i got a B in the exam and a D in the coursework, either the examiners are clueless or our teachers are.
they need to sort it out. lets have a facebook mass protest like the AQA biology
TheCrimsonChin
Report 9 years ago
Ah bless the internet! I had a feeling this may be a trend as the same thing has happened in my college as well. I'm an AS Music Tech student who also got lower than expected (67/140 = E) despite getting an A on the listening exam. Everyone in the class, bar one, got D's and E's. I don't think anyone was expecting definite A's but for the effort we put in and our teachers feedback it's disappointing and unexpected :-(
If your Arctic Monkeys recreation wasn't an A or B then what the feck is?
Hopefully our teachers can find out what happened seeing as this seems to be a widespread problem :-)
ESAP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Likewise - I was also predicted an A/B for the coursework, and although I might not have done exceptionally well on the exam, I don't think I shoulda got an E either. Are people appealing? What can be done?
brickbyboringbrick91
Rep:
?
(Original post by ESAP)
Likewise - I was also predicted an A/B for the coursework, and although I might not have done exceptionally well on the exam, I don't think I shoulda got an E either. Are people appealing? What can be done?
I've sent off for a remark. Costs £50 at my college though! But i read somewhere on here that if the mark goes up then you get a refund. If not, i think i'm going to write an extremely angry letter, phone them or visit their HQ so they can feel my wrath!

Its not too late to put in for a remark, and i think it'll be worth it if you've got a uni place dependent on it, because i have!
vegnjame
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheCrimsonChin)
Ah bless the internet! I had a feeling this may be a trend as the same thing has happened in my college as well. I'm an AS Music Tech student who also got lower than expected (67/140 = E) despite getting an A on the listening exam. Everyone in the class, bar one, got D's and E's. I don't think anyone was expecting definite A's but for the effort we put in and our teachers feedback it's disappointing and unexpected :-(
If your Arctic Monkeys recreation wasn't an A or B then what the feck is?
Hopefully our teachers can find out what happened seeing as this seems to be a widespread problem :-)
Hey, do you know for sure that the course work for AS music tech is out of 140 cause someone on another thread said it was out of 160. I juast want some clarity!
RossJ92
Report 9 years ago
My school was exactly the same, no one got above a D in the coursework.

I was predicted an A for mine but i received a U and for the many hours after school and in class to finish my work i find it insulting.

What the hell could we have all done so wrong to not even get above a D?

is the only option a remark? i want to listen to a piece graded A.
GuitarNinja
Report 9 years ago
My year 12 class just got their results back for AS and most got C's but mine was 2 marks off a C and I got a high D, I want a re-mark as I was told 2 of my coursework pieces swere at least a B, how do I go about a re-mark? (also glad to hear many people r have problems with edexcel's mark scheme)
nick_meredith00
Report 9 years ago
I will just burst the bubble that everyone seems to think they're in. Just finished the 2nd year of A level. And my pieces were Superfreak, the Alone poem, and the recording obviously. I was VERY pleased with all 3 pieces of my finished coursework and Edexcel rewarded me 116/120 on them. I buggered up the exam to recieve a High B grade overall (4 marks of an A). But if I got 116/120 on the courswork. All you lot must have missed something. Sorry you all feel that way. But if there was a very harsh marking scheme or something went wrong. It's not possible for me to have achieved my mark for you lot to recieve low. You must have missed the briefs or used the wrong sounds or whatever.
nick_meredith00
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RossJ92)
My school was exactly the same, no one got above a D in the coursework.

I was predicted an A for mine but i received a U and for the many hours after school and in class to finish my work i find it insulting.

What the hell could we have all done so wrong to not even get above a D?

is the only option a remark? i want to listen to a piece graded A.
I got an A. I would happily email you my pieces if you said you wanted to hear pieces that got an A grade. I got 116/120 on the coursework. So if you're interested, tell me. The only copy of Superfreak on my computer doesnt have the backing vocals recorded, as they hadn't been recorded then, but if you leave me an email address i can show you my work and anyone else for that matter, what my coursework sounded like.
nick_meredith00
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomandrews123)
This has happend to me and everyone in my class both for AS and A2 level. The students that are meant 2 be the top in the class are coming out with D's or worse. Me and my music buds listend 2 all ur peices and agree with your teachers grades, they are similiar to what we would expect for that grade. we want to know what an A grade piece sounds like! i was ONE mark off my B that i needed for uni, and becoz of this i now cant go! im having my exam remarked to try and get the extra mark, even tho i got a B in the exam and a D in the coursework, either the examiners are clueless or our teachers are.
they need to sort it out. lets have a facebook mass protest like the AQA biology
I got an A grade for the coursework. If you'd like to hear what my pieces are like. I'd be happy to email and let you hear them.
LordJay
Report 9 years ago
Nick, This has happened all over the country. At my college, and 2 others in my area alone, have all had ridiculously low grades. No one in my A2 class got above a C, and 1 person got an A in the year below, 1 Person got a B, the rest were C and below.

There were some people in my class alone that were almost guaranteed A's, yet they got C's and D's. One guy got nearly full marks on last year's work, for him to get a D this year.

Almost the same thing happened last year with Edexcel drama, they messed EVERYONE'S grades up for no apparent reason.

Feel free to email me your work, Nick, I want to see how different and spectacular yours apparently is.
Alexander92
Report 9 years ago
I had this happen to me last year with my AS coursework, i dropped one mark on the exam, and was expecting an A in the coursework, but edexcel marked it as a D. All of my class were given D's or below, and we were furious, as we felt the marks were completely wrong for the standard of the work.

We went for a remark and 3 months later edexcel sent a letter saying they had been unable to remark our work (they offered no explanation as to why) so were awarding us all 7 extra marks. This was of course not enough to get out of the D grade boundary. After we complained again, an independent examiner reviewed the situation and decided we should be awarded our teachers predicted grades.

It was a very stressful few months, and I really feel for anyone who has had this happen.
MadameButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OMG ! That just happened to us! Now waiting on Queens Belfast for a reply and feeling sicker by the day! Did u get your place in the end where u wanted? (went from A* s and A s for composition to a an unbelievable U !) tho!

Fair play to yr teachers for sticking by u and not giving in

(Mine's just plain Edex Music btw)
TheCrimsonChin
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vegnjame)
Hey, do you know for sure that the course work for AS music tech is out of 140 cause someone on another thread said it was out of 160. I juast want some clarity!
According to the results back from Edexcel it was out of 140. I think each of the three pieces of coursework is marked out of a different total and some marks are awarded for the last two written questions in the coursework portfolio.
See what your results sheet says (should have "your mark/???" ) for Music Tech1

Congratulations on the A, Nick, but it doesn't explain why some teachers are clearly marking by different standards to the examiner. If people got slightly lower than they were told to expect then thats unfortunate but when it's a case of 2 or 3 grades it doesn't seem right and should be looked into. Especially if Uni places depend on it.

Nick, how would you rate your work against the ones at the start of the tread on youtube? Could you honestly say they deserve an E?
vegnjame
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheCrimsonChin)
According to the results back from Edexcel it was out of 140. I think each of the three pieces of coursework is marked out of a different total and some marks are awarded for the last two written questions in the coursework portfolio.
See what your results sheet says (should have "your mark/???" ) for Music Tech1

Congratulations on the A, Nick, but it doesn't explain why some teachers are clearly marking by different standards to the examiner. If people got slightly lower than they were told to expect then thats unfortunate but when it's a case of 2 or 3 grades it doesn't seem right and should be looked into. Especially if Uni places depend on it.

Nick, how would you rate your work against the ones at the start of the tread on youtube? Could you honestly say they deserve an E?
Wow cause my sheet says i got 140!!! Is this true full marks? I got that sheet last year with what it was out of, but im resitting this year and that sheet was not provided!
nick_meredith00
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LordJay)
Nick, This has happened all over the country. At my college, and 2 others in my area alone, have all had ridiculously low grades. No one in my A2 class got above a C, and 1 person got an A in the year below, 1 Person got a B, the rest were C and below.

There were some people in my class alone that were almost guaranteed A's, yet they got C's and D's. One guy got nearly full marks on last year's work, for him to get a D this year.

Almost the same thing happened last year with Edexcel drama, they messed EVERYONE'S grades up for no apparent reason.

Feel free to email me your work, Nick, I want to see how different and spectacular yours apparently is.
I got a ridiculously high grade. They can't mark me highly and the rest of you badly. You must have done something wrong
TheCrimsonChin
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nick_meredith00)
I got a ridiculously high grade. They can't mark me highly and the rest of you badly. You must have done something wrong
Thats a possibility, yes, but then it means all our teachers have got it wrong as well and mine at least is also an examiner for Edexcel. Thats the problem.

Besides Nick, you didn't answer my previous question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (172)
61.21%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.27%
No- I want it (76)
27.05%
No- I don't want it (21)